Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D/D# question  (Read 3105 times)

Glassguy

D/D# question
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »

Hello all,

I am a fiddle player who is new to the box, I came across an early 50's Paolo Soprani D/D# gray box. I realize that these accordions were used primarily in a setting where other player stepped up their tuning. But I notice this tuning still has a following today. My question is do people play this tuning "outside  in" in standard tuned settings or is this tuning reserved only for those times other players are willing to step up their tuning.

I am very much enjoying and learning a great deal from this forum.

Thank you

Bob
Cape Cod, USA

hibbs3

Re: D/D# question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »

Was this D/D# for sale?  ::)

But to my knowledge, it was played by most inside out (Joe Cooley) so any of those playing along had to tune up a half step. I have heard of instances where people do play it outside row in, but it's not as common as playing inside-out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:48:27 PM by hibbs3 »

Glassguy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »

Yes. I bought it a while back.
Cape Cod, USA

hibbs3

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »

My mistake, I misinterpreted your post. Congrats on the box!

Glassguy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »

Sorry to mislead you.

I guess what I am trying to understand is if someone like Joe Derrane is using a D/C# system is he playing outside in for the most part.  And is that pretty much the same difference as playing D/D#, outside in.
Sorry if I am not making myself very clear-
Cape Cod, USA

hibbs3

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »

Playing D/C# outside-in is the same as playing C#/D insideout, the chromatics play the same way...where as with a D/D#, playing outside-in is the same as playing C#/D outside in, not the most practical of fingerings (the chromatics don't play the same as a D/C# system at all). If you wanted to play the D/D# like Joe Derrane, you'd have to switch the reeds on the rows to make it a D#/D.

To answer it, Joe Derrane plays D/C#, using the outside D row, and going inside to the C# row for all sharps and flats he needs.

BTW, might you be able to post a pic of your grey box?

Glassguy

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:03:06 PM »

Hope this works-
Cape Cod, USA

hibbs3

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »

Looks just like one Cooley used to play, the same one from the cover of his album.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »

You could certainly play the box outside-in but you'd really be on your own. You could get general help from outside-in players of course but that's about it probably. Any surviving D/D# players are likely to be in the 90s by now ;)

As hibbs pointed out, you wouldn't be on quite the same territory as Derrane. With a C# helper row your "magic notes" (the two duplicates that you have on a halfstep box, in the other bellows direction) are F# and C#. With a D# row, they are are D and G. They will help you with different passages than the F# and C#. I've often thought that a magic note of D would be exceedingly useful but I wouldn't trade the F# for it!

Another thing to consider is that it will be much harder for you to find a replacement box if you need one, and you won't have an easy time borrowing anyone else's.

If you did decide to go inside-out, you could have your Paolo retuned but that would be an expensive proposition. I'd advise you to keep your (as you no doubt know, exceedingly valuable and sought-after) grey treasure and learn it inside-out, and get yourself something more affordable in C#/D for playing with others who can't or won't tune up.

You're a lucky man!

Glassguy

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 02:22:24 PM »

Very much appreciate the replies.

Thank you,

Bob
Cape Cod, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal