Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strathspey "The Shepherd's Crook"  (Read 3291 times)

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
Strathspey "The Shepherd's Crook"
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »

I have a had a good trawl through the various tune collections suggested by Lester but cannot find the dots or ABC for the strathspey "The Shepherd's Crook". There is one reference in a collection, but when downloaded was in fact Shepherd's Hey.

If anyone can point me towards the dots or ABC for this strathspey it would be enormously helpful. A Scottish dancer would like to dance to this tune and, although I have a fair idea how the tune goes, I would like to play it properly for them as I know that when I dance if the tune is a bit "wrong" it can easily put one off, particularly a solo effort.

It does seem odd, on reflection, that one could be put off by an innaccurate tune, perhaps it is just me?

Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
Re: Strathspey "The Shepherd's Crook"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »

Re my previous post. I have just found an old Jimmy Shand record from the 1950s where the tune is listed as the Duke of Gordon. So, sorry for the duff info'. I'll look for the Duke of Gordon.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:58:05 PM »

I have a had a good trawl through the various tune collections suggested by Lester but cannot find the dots or ABC for the strathspey "The Shepherd's Crook". There is one reference in a collection, but when downloaded was in fact Shepherd's Hey.

There is definitely a pipe strathspey called "The Shepherd's Crook". Hear it being played here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vgwnnZiE6l4&feature=related . If this is the tune you want, let me know and I'll send you the score.

ghijze mitter hacken

• Castagnari 8+3 in G / English concertina
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »

There is also a strathspey "Duke of Cordon's Birthday"

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 08:43:23 PM »

There is definitely a pipe strathspey called "The Shepherd's Crook". Hear it being played here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vgwnnZiE6l4&feature=related . If this is the tune you want, let me know and I'll send you the score.

No, this isn't the tune, it has similarities to the tune in which I am interested. But thank you very much for the offer of the dots. I find the rhyth of the strathspey quite difficult to keep up. I have to play them over and over and over again until everyone gets sick of them to get the "feel" right.

Mike from Ponte Caffaro

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

If the Shepherd's Crook , how are the sheep?  Australian joke?

In South Yorkshire we sing a local carol Jacob' Well.  You can imagine the old chestnut year after year,

Do you know Jacob's Well?.........
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »

The dance in Scotland is called 'The Shepherd's Crook', a 72 bar strathspey, and the 'original' tune is as somebody pointed out ' The Duke of Gordon'.

Ian.

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »

How complicated tunes can be!

'The Shepherd's Crook' is also known as 'Don Side' and I think is the same as 'Duke of Gordon' (or they sound so similar as to be almost indistinguishable)

'The Duke of Gordon' (with slight variation) is 'The Bonny Lass of Fyvie', a march.

This must happen quite a lot with trad/folk tunes - different names, different variations?

A good site for dots is http://www.folktunefinder.com/  It also has a melody tool to trace tunes - I haven't used it so I don't know how useful it is - and given the above, how many tunes is it going to throw up?!

Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal