Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon Playgroup - The Return  (Read 35853 times)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
Re: Melodeon Playgroup - The Return
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »

There should be warnings on melodeon events. Mr Spouse has started eyeing up Pokerworks on eBay and I've made enquiries and started putting money by for a Streb.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »

Oh dear. I should have a word with the organiser.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »

There should be warnings on melodeon events. Mr Spouse has started eyeing up Pokerworks on eBay and I've made enquiries and started putting money by for a Streb.

Which reminds me, I must upload that video of you with the Streb to FB  ;D
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

troman

« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

Keep saving your pennies for a Streb.

I have just been asked to help accompany a community carol event. Quite honestly I don't think the choirmaster had very high expectations when he said "This is in E - can you do that?" "Yes, no problem" I said. A couple of flicks of the key switch and away we went. Worth every penny - speak to Santa nicely!
Trevor
West Sussex, UK

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

Well I had a go of a couple, asked about price and was pleasantly surprised (more than my Hohners of course, but a lot less than a posh Italian box). I personally would value being able to play with headphones, through a PA system, with different samples and in different keys and layouts much more than fancy reeds.

So I'm on the waiting list and saving up.

So money is going into my Premium Bonds, and in 2015 I'll go for it; unless Ernie is kind, then maybe earlier. :D
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »

Actually, is it possible to use effects pedals? Distorted wah-wah metal melodeon?! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

deltasalmon

« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »

It's probably possible but not "out of the box".

Wah pedals, distortion and most other guitar effects pedals are made for analog signals and (I've never seen one but I think) a Streb is a MIDI controller which would have a digital signal.

I suppose you could hook up the effects pedal right before the output to speaker/headphones after the signal has been converted from digital to analog.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »

I'm fairly sure that the Streb output is analogue on ¼" jack so you could plug straight into any effects pedal.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

I'm fairly sure that the Streb output is analogue on ¼" jack so you could plug straight into any effects pedal.
MWAHAHHAHAAAAAA!
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »

Yep! Ex-Streb owner  (:)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »

Melodeon through Auto-Wah is great fun - wobble, wobble!  ;D
www.melodeons.com

bellowpin

• Regular debater
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »

Actually, is it possible to use effects pedals? Distorted wah-wah metal melodeon?! :D
  the streb has "chorus" and "reverb"  built in ,and can be used to change the sound,to make it more funky.  as others have said it is possible to connect an effects pedal between the streb and the loudspeaker. have not seen it done myself.          brian..
whole life in the shropshire hills. on the slow track and enjoying it.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2013, 06:53:43 PM »

yes I've had some goes at this, although my technique is not good enough for the public yet.  Just put it between the Streb and the PA.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

deltasalmon

« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2013, 03:19:08 AM »

I knew the FRt18 had both outputs but didn't know the streb had 1/4". Looking forward to a melodeon wah video. Hendrix set the bar high but he could only play guitar ;)
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »

Here's a fairly grungy recording of auto-wah plus delay. My wah box is home-made and very, very sensitive. I've had more success with a Boss pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0I4q1fluP0&feature=youtu.be

The accordion has a mic capsule inside the bellows, screwed onto the reed block.
www.melodeons.com

suparrott

« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »

Yay!
That thing that came up at playgroup about not practising something and then trying again has worked!

A busy week at work and horrible cold has seriously reduced playtime this week. So Captain Lanoe didn't get much attention during the week - in spite of my best intentions to try to get the bass going (as I didn't manage that at Playgroup)

Then this evening I managed once through with bass and although I can't repeat the feat now, I know I will be able to soon.
 :Ph The same happened when I first started trying to add bass to tunes - initially it would seem impossible to coordinate and then suddenly it would happen.

The practice, practice, practice approach has however been the overall winner in the 'learn to play' techniques so far. So, inspired by Mel Biggs, I have been practising finding chords and playing repeated chord sequences for a while each day. My poor neighbour! I actually think it's quite soothing but I guess some would disagree!
 :||:
But surely it makes a change from Speed the Plough!

Suzanne

JayJay

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2013, 07:54:21 AM »

This is the first time i've been brave enough to try & work out how to post!

Just wanted to say thanks to all those involved with the return of the playgroup & what a great & inspirational invention for those of us floundering out there on our own with a wild untameable instrument…I feel as if I am now beginning to get a little bit of a grip.
Putting Captain Lanoe on the back burner, I came away with the intention of mastering Not for Joe & Four up!  Both now well on the way after a week of hard graft! :|||:

Thank you & see you all next year or somewhere in-between perhaps?

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »

The practice, practice, practice approach has however been the overall winner in the 'learn to play' techniques so far. So, inspired by Mel Biggs, I have been practising finding chords and playing repeated chord sequences for a while each day. My poor neighbour! I actually think it's quite soothing but I guess some would disagree!
 :||:
But surely it makes a change from Speed the Plough!

Putting Captain Lanoe on the back burner, I came away with the intention of mastering Not for Joe & Four up!  Both now well on the way after a week of hard graft! :|||:

Yay! I'm so pleased to read these comments. It's just yet more great feedback that my suggestions *actually* work for people, and that I'm not just telling a big fat pack of lies  ;D

Keep up the good work everyone, and Strig, I look forward to that first wah-wah Streb video!

Mel x
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal