Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dmixolydian  (Read 2930 times)

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
Dmixolydian
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:14:02 PM »

Hi squeezers,  im trying to learn a tune called king of the pipers, and was wandering about playing in Dmix, do you play on the G row, as you would for something like dark girl dressed in blue? I started working it out on the d row, but found it sat better on the g row (but still in d!) Im a little lost....  ???

ButtonBox21

• Regular debater
Re: Dmixolydian
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »

It depends on how your box is tuned. The version I have is in D and on a C#D or single row, I play it on the inside D row. There is a C natural on the outside C# row that I go to or you can modify it if you only have a single row. I'm sure there are other ways to play it but for me it is easiest to stay on the D row. King of the pipers can be played in four or five parts. My version has five parts. I have attached a jpeg of the sheet music for you. Good luck and keep squeezin'.  :||:
Keep on Squeezin'

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »

Cheers for that, im playing an ADG box with low notes and accidentals, from an mp3 a friend of a friend of a friend took from damien mullane on youtube

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »

On a DG I would usually play mostly on the D row, but sometimes D mix tunes go into G for some phrases (as do tunes on D major)  then it can be an advantage to go on to the G row, both to make for easier fingering including the C nat and to get the G bass.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ButtonBox21

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 12:16:55 PM »

That video of Damien Mullane is excellent. He won all Ireland with that song. That is the four part version. Unfortunately, that video is no longer available. Too bad I really liked it. If you go to iTunes, type in Patrick Street. You can download the five part version of King of the Pipers with Jackie Daly on accordion. It is very close to the sheet music I provided. Hope this helps.  :||:
Keep on Squeezin'

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »

Cheers mate :D

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »

I think you can still access the Damien Mullane video of King of the Pipers through the Comhaltas archive - I certainly did so a couple of months ago
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »

I think the hardest thing is matching up the chords, i decided to work out the chords first, then find the notes on the keyboard

ButtonBox21

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

John Whelan, a great box player in the USA, once told me to always learn the melody first and not worry too much about the basses. He said to never adapt the melody to the basses but the other way around. Many great Irish box players use the basses very sparingly if at all. At a session you will not use them. Concentrate on the melody and the basses will come later. If you can, please go to an instructor. As a beginner, you are tackling a difficult jig to start with. An instructor can give you easier tunes to start with like Tripping up the Stairs or Ships in Full Sail or the Kesh jig. King of the Pipers is an awesome tune but learn to crawl first,  then walk. Natures rule, not mine.  Good luck. Keep us posted. :||:
Keep on Squeezin'

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:17:29 PM »

I think the hardest thing is matching up the chords, i decided to work out the chords first, then find the notes on the keyboard

That's the way i always do it. Seems to work. Though once you have 3 rows (any type) chunks of melody will often play push or pull. You can use that to control air use, or to get a different chord against it, or as a variation second time through.

D mixo, you can either play one row style G row on the pull, mainly on the D push, dotting in the C natural, or pull cross row. Again I let the chording guide me. If it wants a D chord I push, when its a C I pull and move to G row. Most tunes have a certain rhythm to them, go with it.  A low C is a real boon in his, though you can "steal" it from the bass end if you don't have one.
  _       _    _      _ 

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »

Tis a mighty tune. Cheers guys

sticky fingers

• Tech Guru
  • Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »

Hi boxstudent, I think D Mixylodian Is a disease in wild rabbits! but if you send me a pm with your email I will send you my 5 part version of King of the pipers, as a sneak preview from my forthcoming album, in D, with crossfingering to the G row, best wishes sf

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »

Thats why i love mel.net !!! Thanks mate

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »

I think D Mixylodian Is a disease in wild rabbits!

*Nerd Alert* We've got one of those classically trained musicians that "don't do modes" again. Don't tell him what we did to the last one.  ;)  8)  :D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »

That would be a poor classical music training, if the result "doesn't do nodes"  >:E
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »

That would be a poor classical music training, if the result "doesn't do nodes"  >:E

After all the major and minor scales which are commonly found in classical music are themselves modes.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »

Best nerd in action I've met was Jérémie Mignotte, a Brittany based classical flute player, well into folk and blues. In Gent last year he wanted to play a certain note, think it was a true 6th in impro over one of his own tunes. Nice sound, not a diatonic mode, try the harmonics, no, melodic? no :o

Bugged the hell out of him! He actually mobile phoned Arch-nerd Pignol down in Grenoble to consult … turned out to be a mode of a harmonic major! 8) All sorted … back to leading his group

Yup, they all inter-relate. Why important? Folk music is based on them

Advert: http://chrisryall.net/modes explores modes of a D row  :neigh:
  _       _    _      _ 

sticky fingers

• Tech Guru
  • Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »

Yeeeees, I just knew someone would bite eventualy! Gotcha Tallship!, everybody knows mixylodian is something to do with music, its mixylodianmatosis that does for the furry kind!, nodes, modes, potatoes, potartoes, lets call the whole thing off!, classical trained!, I once tuned into radio 3 by mistake, does that count!, please,please,  well that's killed 5 minuts, next?, SF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal