Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon-style right hand on a CBA  (Read 2221 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Melodeon-style right hand on a CBA
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »

I've been playing the CBA for a few weeks (B system).  I've been using my right hand thumb to play notes but just lately I've noticed an RSI in my wrist.  This morning I experimented with using melodeon style RH (i.e. thumb round the back) and I noticed two things 1) less pain 2) more accuracy.

I think I remember that Clive Williams plays in this way on his CBA (edit. - actually thumb on edge - just checked!) so maybe this is the way to go if you are a dyed-in-the-wool melodeon player who is also playing this instrument.

To be honest - because I was using my thumb, I was rarely using my little finger - with this method I am having to use the little finger so I've still got the same number of digits working.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:45:49 AM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Melodeon-style right hand on a CBA
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »

I believe that quite a lot of French players rest the thumb on the edge of the keyboard and use only the fingers for playing the keys.

Have a look at the videos on the Saltarelle website. Here's one...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »

I believe that quite a lot of French players rest the thumb on the edge of the keyboard and use only the fingers for playing the keys.

That's great.  Thank you Steve.  What's the set up on this box then?  Four rows in what configuration?
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

That's great.  Thank you Steve.  What's the set up on this box then?  Four rows in what configuration?
Sorry Les, I don't know, but it will be a standard CBA layout with the inside row a duplicate of the outer row. Whether it's C-griff or B-griff I can't tell, sorry. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »

As it's Saltarelle and therefore French, it will be C-griff.

For some reason, the French seem to like 4 rows on their CBA. It's an odd compromise between the minimum 3 rows necessary and the full 5 that give you freedom to play in any key using any of the 3 fingering patterns.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »

Yes, don't look for me for tips on CBA style - I haven't a clue! I was playing a bit of the CBA at the weekend; the thumb is definitely on the fingerboard edge. Sticking it behind limits movement somewhat, so not great if you're up and down an octave or so - on the edge of the fingerboard gives more movement. Flash players can play with the thumb rather than sticking it anywhere; that's optional though. and a step too far for me. My understanding, from the RIP accordion forum, is that thumb playing is neither encouraged, nor discouraged by CBA teachers - it's purely personal choice.

Taught CBA players do tend to be able to play everything on 3 rows, using the 3 fingering scales rather than switching to the middle 3 and inner 3 rows to achieve the various keys - in which case, the fourth row is simply a helper row, used to make some fingering patterns a bit easier. So you can view a 4 row as a 3 row+accidentals... sort of.

Cheers,

Clive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal