Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Rules the World!  (Read 12046 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Re: Hohner Rules the World!
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »

Another vote here for Hohner reeds, when properly tuned they are superb.

Another here....  what was that Saying - old Hohners never die , they just get louder ..  true too .
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »

Like!  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

dunlustin

• Regular debater
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »

The trend amongst those with experience seems to be pointing towards Hohner having very good reeds. Perhaps that's one reason for their success world wide?
Does this mean that pursuit of the high-end French/Italian (etc) instruments is misguided?
Do Hohner have a range of quality in their reeds that is not talked about? For example are their two current models whose reeds are clearly different?
Over to the technically-minded among you.
(Why didn't I think of Wiki?)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »

Does this mean that pursuit of the high-end French/Italian (etc) instruments is misguided?

As you`ll  know, There`s a lot more to a box than reeds and I`ve yet to see a Hohner made in recent years to match the refined handling of even a humble Baffetti black pearl let alone something from Beltuna or Castagnari . Yup a hohner can be setup well to respond fast and even the chinese made ones like the current Pokerwork , compadre etc when tuned right sound superb (thy lack the "Politeness" which a lot of Italian boxes have and IMO why a lot of us like Hohhers) -

Some older ones like the Swiss Erica I have, the Primatona I had and my trichord had fast actions too (probably due to spring age as much as anything) but the Italians excell at this whole handling, fast action, supple bellows business straight out of the box - the appeal with Hohners to me at least is the Sound, for handling, gimme an Italian box anyday  ......... Just my thoughts after having numerous hohners and a few IT boxes of varying vintages (though as usual I`m probably out on my own on this)

I `d be more inclined to put Hohner reeds in an Italian box than the reverse - though I`m sure even then it wouldn`t Sound like a Hohner

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »

I'm not in a Morris side but I have the pipe half of the pipe and tabor. The one I have is like a cheap tin whistle except its missing three holes so you can play it with one hand. It's played an octave above tin whistle though so it hurts my ears to much to play it.

Sounds about right
Get the Tabor without June attached and you have the complete one man band.
It is rather addictive.

I'd much prefer to have June attached  >:E
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »

I'd much prefer to have June attached  >:E

June Who ;D

As for playing the whistle one handed , I tried that with the Sopranino with the thumb hole taped up and still kept dropping the thing . must be an art , though trying to play the bass end of the Melodeon as accompaniment may not have helped

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »

The Hohner Morganes sound pretty good when tuned.  The action isn't great, but the price, not too bad.
Where the sweet spot may be are boxes like the Casta Brio.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

The trend amongst those with experience seems to be pointing towards Hohner having very good reeds. Perhaps that's one reason for their success world wide?

I don't think either point is generally true.  The picture is one if diversity. As players we seek a range if different attributes in our prefered boxes,  and we are spoiled for choice in the variety if instruments that are available.  It's a case if horses for courses.  Everyone considering a purchase should play all the boxes they can and trust their own judgement, and not pay too much attention to who made it, what kind of reeds it has, what timber it is built from etc.  I've. Lost count of the people who have proudly shown me their new box and said "its got xyz clever things inside(usually a mano reeds) and when I've had a go if plays like a stale bisciuit.
Trust your own ears I say, don't listen to the sales pitch!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »

A pertinent example.  I've just sold a Saltarelle Connemara.  The reeds in it have machine clenched rivets, so on paper they are ordinary "macchina" grade, and have no makers name on, but the boxe is a lovely responsive player.
I'll say it again "trust your own ears"
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Johnf

• Regular debater
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »

I live only 100 km or so north of San Antonio in Austin Texas and while Conjunto and Tejano music may not sound "American" they were indeed born on this side of the Mexican border. Vallenato and Cumbia are spreading north from Columbia etc and you can find many US artists taking up the forms. The most common accordion played is a Hohner Corona.

Check out the wonderful Joel Guzman and his wife Sarah Fox for a great variety through their site www.guzmanfox.com
Joel was actually raised up in the NW US, classically trained, but now is an ambassador of all music Latino. One big difference you can immediately tell with Joel is that he uses the bass side. A Tejano player will never touch them, in fact, they often have the reeds removed.

In regard to the US/Italian Gabbanelli question: the smart players here KNOW the differences. US Gabbanelli is based in Houston, Texas and produce accordions that compare well enough to Hohner, but the Italian Gabbanelli's are another story.
Austin Texas
C "LeCapitaine"
B/C "Double Ray"
Mandolin
Pennywhistle

melodeon

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 01:22:17 AM »

As to the Hohners used for Vallenato and Cumbia...

http://www.reyesforo.com/post?id=2307634&trail=

Cinco Letras

As to the difference between an Italian made and marketed Gabbanelli and a Gabbanelli made FOR the American market.. not enough players know or care.. And Gabbanelli USA goes on and on..in spite of quality and customer service.

I believe Joel's latest boxes are Mixto... Diatonic 3 row treble.. and a Stradella bass system.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2014, 04:17:59 PM »

Adam, up North the word we use for the sound of Italian boxes us 'nesh' of 'poncy' rather than 'polite'  ;)

IMHO Hohner used to make superb sounding reeds, especially the H ones and the 'made in Germany' ones they used in boxes like the Club BS.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal