Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A day out in West Yorkshire  (Read 2151 times)

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
A day out in West Yorkshire
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »

So SWMBO was doing a day's training in Halifax and I got volunteered to drive.  Dropped her off 8.30, got her gear out of the car, found breakfast and then it's how to spend the day.

Obvious, Music Room in Cleckheaton 8 miles down the road.  Got there and discovered a slight problem, it's festival season and a lot of their stock is on the road, lots of Sandpipers but not a lot else.  Unless you ring in advance because you know what you want I'd leave an on-spec visit until September.  Played a couple of boxes but nothing grabbed me so on to Target Two, The Early Music Shop at Salts Mill.

Now Saltaire is worth a visit anyway, the Mill has a great, idiosyncratic bookshop (I could spend a fortune) a lot of Hockneys, good food and is a fun place to spend some time.  EMS is a BAD place to go if you are a multi-instrumentalist with an attack of IAS.  Had a wander round and asked about Tabor Pipes, they had three second hand ones which had just come in as a probate sale, not even priced or checked over.  I left with a high "D" in rosewood, lovely tone but will take a bit of getting used to.

Having spent a couple of hours trying not to spend more money (a book on making instruments from junk was highly tempting as were a couple of cookery books) I got a call to say the training had finished early so back to Halifax and it being still early (and the M62 having issues) we took a drive up the Calder Valley to Todmorden.  Second hand market day and they were just packing up when, on a stall surrounded by guitars, I spotted a Hohner Club Model 1 in C/F.  Not expecting much I has a quick play, not only were the bellows airtight, all the notes sounded properly (and in tune), still has the gleichton and all in all playable as is.  He wanted £120, we agreed £100 which I'm happy with, the only problem now is how does one make best use of the gleichton?

All in all a good day.

Steve

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: A day out in West Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »

Personally I think you should drop SWMBO off more often, sounded like a very interesting trip.
As for the Gleichton?.... I think Theo might recommend hot glue  >:E
As for making instruments from junk..... Chanson ? Anybody?

Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »

I recommend learning how to use the gleichton and the extra buttons on the half row to conquer interesting new musical territories. You'd be surprised what's waiting to be discovered there.

BTW, I used to work in Salt's Mill.  (Pace TV set top boxes etc.) Lovely place.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »

I recommend learning how to use the gleichton and the extra buttons on the half row to conquer interesting new musical territories. You'd be surprised what's waiting to be discovered there.

Ouch! Re hot glue, suitably put in my place.  :|bl
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

I got Theo to make a gleichton when he refurbished the Lily for my daughter. it makes you work that bit harder wrt melody, but by gum, it opens up fantastic chord possibilities!
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »

I used to work at McKechnies, who made the cases for the Paces !!
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »

While we are so far off topic, I used to work for Woolworths  >:E
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal