Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about bellows position  (Read 2052 times)

ciarice

Question about bellows position
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »

I'm sure this is probably a silly question, but on the off-chance it isn't, I thought I'd ask it anyway.

When playing the melodeon, should the bellows always be in a straight line between the left and right hands?
I am finding that my left hand is going forward a bit relative to the right hand, so that the bellows is curving to the front when I play.
Is this something I should try and correct, or not worry about?

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Question about bellows position
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »

Not a silly question at all. I think I'm right in saying (somebody will correct me if I'm not!) that the vast majority of us play with the bellows in a gentle curve in the vertical plane, using the natural tendency of the bellows to fall open in that shape; I'm not so sure about curving in the horizontal plane; I don't THINK I do that, and instinct would suggest to me that it would be better to try to maintain a straight(ish) line in that direction because I'd expect better bellows control that way, but now you've made me wonder whether I do it too!  One of the beauties of the melodeon is that there's rarely any "right" or "wrong" way do do anything.....

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »

I think a good idea would be to watch Lester play on his tune a day site. He has great bellows control.
  Also it's a natural function, providing you have the air button under control the bellows should, unconscionally take care of themselves.  :||: :|||:
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »

I think a good idea would be to watch Lester play on his tune a day site. He has great bellows control.

:|bl

Curves in either horizontal or vertical plane are OK, what is not OK is rotation of the bellows  eg:
If when you change direction from in to out you let the bass end droop (ie rotate) it will give a soft start to the next note as the rotation of the bass end does not change the volume of air in bellows so the note does not start cleanly even if you have the button pressed.

Hopefully DaddyLongLes wont mind me showing this video as an example of what not to do as I know he has applied a lot of effort not to do it any more  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90BULAh4aU at about 5 minutes.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 12:42:23 PM »

Not a silly question at all. I think I'm right in saying (somebody will correct me if I'm not!) that the vast majority of us play with the bellows in a gentle curve in the vertical plane, using the natural tendency of the bellows to fall open in that shape; I'm not so sure about curving in the horizontal plane; I don't THINK I do that, and instinct would suggest to me that it would be better to try to maintain a straight(ish) line in that direction because I'd expect better bellows control that way, but now you've made me wonder whether I do it too!  One of the beauties of the melodeon is that there's rarely any "right" or "wrong" way do do anything.....

Graham

Actually, looking at my avatar picture, it looks as though my left hand is forward of my right........just goes to show!
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »

That question got me thinking...  I've seen many players who appear to be wrestling a python with all their strength and yet the box is playing quietly.  Others appear relaxed and unstressed and are playing loudly as and when required.  I'm not going to even try to analyze the exact motion of the hands and subsequent bellows position.  To play efficiently, no matter how, the pressure should be directly between the hands.  To envisage the feeling, imagine squeezing a beachball without it slipping out from between the hands.  Get that right and the rest will sort itself.

Rob.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »

I allways have an S in my bellows, as i stretch my left arm a bit forward. The reason is quite simple. If i want to do anything at all,...writing, using scissors, hammerin etc,...everything is done in front of me. I think ones arms are best controllable for small movements in front of you, and not besides you. This means that when my arm is completely stretched it is in angle of about 45 degrees to my shoulders.

Hohners are less pleasant to play like this, because of the sharp edge that will start hurting in your underarm.

I have heard it be told often that a good way to play as well is to let th weight of your bas-end guide you i.e. downwards, but i am not really sure why this would be favorable, as you need to use more force then to bring it up again.

But then again, i have heard terrific music by all kinds of people using all kinds of other techniques :-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »

This earlier thread elicited a good deal of useful discussion of various approaches. Howard Jones' diagram I found especially perspicacious.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »

:|bl

Curves in either horizontal or vertical plane are OK, what is not OK is rotation of the bellows  eg:
If when you change direction from in to out you let the bass end droop (ie rotate) it will give a soft start to the next note as the rotation of the bass end does not change the volume of air in bellows so the note does not start cleanly even if you have the button pressed.

Hopefully DaddyLongLes wont mind me showing this video as an example of what not to do as I know he has applied a lot of effort not to do it any more  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90BULAh4aU at about 5 minutes.

Hopefully this quick video shows the improvement I have made bellows-wise!  Slight mistake in the B part plus some paint on my arm from decorating - apart from that perfect!!! ;)
http://youtu.be/v1vvZ0T8u2M
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

arty

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »

As someone who only started to teach myself last year, it is only in the last few weeks that I have learnt the importance of bellows control.

A few weeks ago, I posted a question about the problems I was having learning to play faster. I was surprised to read a few of the answers I got, which suggested I loosen the straps so that the melodeon sat on my left thigh in order to steady it and also, and especially, to look at the way I was using the air button and bellows. As soon as I lengthened the straps and had the instrument sat on my left leg, it moved around far less and my right hand fingering became more accurate. But, while this was very helpful it didn't improve things as much as when I started to look at the way I was using the bellows and air button. After a few weeks practice in front of a mirror, just playing scales, I am finding the difference to my playing and being able to play faster, is remarkable. This little video was an enormous help and I must say a big thank you to Steve for making this clip:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZjeiqFbAA&feature=youtu.be

I realise now, that the problem I had when trying to play fast was simply that the instrument was moving around so much that when my fingers went down on a particular button, it was no longer where I thought it was because it had moved and my finger hit the wrong button or sometimes hit the right button and slipped off the side of it! I also noticed 'a tension' in my whole body while playing with 'out of control bellows' - but that is disappearing fast. Now that the bellows are coming under control and I am using the air button more, I feel my whole self relaxing. It's a good feeling.

But the different ways the bellows are used by different players is a very interesting thing. I often watch videos by Derek the Nutter who's energy and style of playing seems joyous to me. If you watch him playing the couple of video clips with his friend Jimbo, you will notice two very, very different styles alongside each other. Derek's bellows are very animated and move around a lot in comparison to Jimbo's bellows which seem much more under control. The resulting sounds, nevertheless, are not so different to each other but equally rhythmic and exciting to listen to. Proof really, that there are many 'right' ways and I guess different ways are necessary for different styles of music.

This whole topic has been immensely helpful - thankyou!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

arty

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »

Derek and Jimbo - two very different styles of bellows control IMHO. And isn't the resulting music wonderful!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyY7WDmkog&list=TL9HV_lFD41mQ

As an aside, I wish they would make a CD - I'd be the first to buy a copy!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal