Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a keyboard layout diagram  (Read 3862 times)

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
Making a keyboard layout diagram
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »

I'm sure this has been explained on a previous thread but there are that many with the relevant keywords in.

I was hoping to post a keyboard layout diagram.  Those who know me will guess of what instrument.  It's been the discussion of modes, it sparked off some questions in my mind and the layout would be useful to ask the questions.

I am able to download the templates but not then edit them.  Can anyone recommend how to do this, and apologies if this is blindingly obvious.  Thank you.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Making a keyboard layout diagram
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:34:54 AM by Lester »

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »

This link does not work:

21+5 Button Template
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »

The bit I get stuck on is: "create a copy".

I can save it and then try to edit it but so far all the programmes I've tried to save it/open it with don't let me change the content of the diagram - is there one I should use?

Or I can right click on the diagram and "Copy" is one of the options on the menu.  So I do that and I can paste it into e.g. Word, but as a picture and I can't edit the content.

I have got the feeling this will be very, very obvious but all advice gratefully received.  Thanks very much.

deltasalmon

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »

If you go to https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1uKXA3z0TW_iBRCjGJejCskWnF7oCT5ATreFslMMhQDs/edit?hl=en_GB&authkey=CJKP0-QD and click "Make a copy" under File then it should open a new browser and you'll be able to edit the layout right in your browser (I use chrome and IE and at least that's how it works there). You'll probably need a google account if you don't already have one in order to do this.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »

Thanks Sean, when I click that link I don't see anything called "File" to click anything under, if you see what I mean... probably means I need to try tonight from another computer.  (I have the google account)  Thanks for the tip.

Larry Anthony

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »

Try this: select the diagram -> click EDIT -> SELECT ALL -> EDIT -> COPY.
Now paste the the contents of the clipboard into paint.net. You should be able to edit and save it from there.
Works for me.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »

As the creator of the templates:

To do it "PROPERLY" you need a Google Login, if when you are logged in you open the template you can, from the file menu, select Make a Copy... which will then reside in your google drive docs and be editable using Google Docs.

I apologise to all GooglePhobes but that is how I created the the docs and I am a Googleaphile  (:)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »

If you don't have, or don't want to register for a Google account, another way of using these layouts (not the templates) is to

(a) choose the layout closest to what you want and open it in your web browser.
(b) download a copy of the layout (right click/hold --> save image to... (somewhere convenient for you) and save as a gif or jpg file)
(c) use an image editor (Photoshop, Gimp, Paint, etc.) to erase the existing note names and replace with your own using a similar size and font style. As there are plenty of layouts to start with, you might only need to do this with a few notes anyway.

That's how I did mine.

Edit: which I think is what Larry Anthony was describing a couple of posts previously!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:01:45 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:07 PM »

Thanks very much for your help everybody, but it's beaten me.  Either copying a picture into Paint which I can't edit, or saving the template but not into a google drive which I can't find.  But I do appreciate the help: Sean even knew which template I wanted to edit.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 03:16:31 AM »

Just pop it in as good old fashioned txt FFS! The forum runs on that and should you post an image, or something googlised, anyone wanting to reply to (presumably) a query will have to ascend the same learning curve you did  ::)

http://chrisryall.net/chords has a built in text editor that knows what a melodeon is, and several presets, it expects symbols like A Bb C C# separated by spaces and will attempt to tidy them for you. Use >s  on the left to indent or stagger rows, or even place a gap if a button has fallen off  ;)

As its purpose is to explore modes, it expects the push and pull scales to be split by a '=' line (symbolising bellows), basically if you want to play a fluid C phrygian major tune (I do, Bouffard's Dromadaire), you might rock bellows fur some notes, but you seek a long a stetch as possible in same directions; only the modes of the main rows actually lie on those rows.

Oh, use '@' for a chord and '%' if you can take thirds out, in the latter case it will try to find crossed chords that work for your modal melody. All 'simple' text.

You cannot save to disc yet (cookies are hard work to code, and HTML 5 isn't ready yet). Just use right click, select all, copy, paste in the usual way. Save to a txt file, MSWord isn't 'just text'! Exemplar: done on a mobile phone

→ push↓ → ©  ºD  ©  ºG
→→→→ →→ ©  ºB  ©  ºC
→ ²F  ¹B  ¹D  ¹G  ²B  ²D  ²G  ³B ³D  ³G
¹A♭ ºF♯ ¹A  ¹D  ¹F♯ ²A  ²D  ²F♯ ³A  ³D  ³F♯
=
→ pull↓ → ©  ºA  ©  ºD
→→→→ →→ ©  ºE  ©  ºC
→ ²E♭ ¹D  ¹F♯ ²A  ²C  ²E  ²F♯ ³A  ³C  ³E
²B♭ ¹A  ¹C♯ ¹E  ¹G  ²B  ²C♯ ²E  ²G  ³B  ³C#

The prefixes are to tell its sound system which octave to voice in, optional, type 'em in as  … text  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 03:22:48 AM »

Small whoops :|bl it is 4:30 am here!

Separate chords from right end witb the '=' bellows token
Separate push from pull with a '-' line, generates a spacer
Use '?' and '!' buttons to test syntax, or generate simulation
As you need to 'construct' a bit, it isn't WYSISYG

Er,  Don't touch the 'Ryanair' button!  >:E
      Simulates airline baggage handling ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:37:27 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 11:07:46 AM »

Thanks very much for your help everybody, but it's beaten me.  Either copying a picture into Paint which I can't edit, or saving the template but not into a google drive which I can't find.  But I do appreciate the help: Sean even knew which template I wanted to edit.

If you go to the Google homepage, Drive should be listed in the menu at the top of the page between Gmail and Calendar.
It is very easy to use.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal