Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for August 2013: Le Lac de St Croix  (Read 16010 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Tune of the Month for August 2013: Le Lac de St Croix
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:35:41 AM »

Well, it made it! The amazing Pascale Rubens' Le Lac de St-Croix - and here's a couple of videos of it, here played by Pascale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpAqVJL23I0

and here played by our own docEdock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5jAyyZFOyE

... and here's the ABC

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Le lac de St-Croix
C:Pascale Rubens
O:Belgium
B:Naragonia Tune Book, 2010
M:9/8
L:1/8
%%barnumbers 1
Q:3/8=120
K:Dmaj
|:"Dmaj7"E2D3A3D|"F#m7"E2C3A3C|"Em7"E2Gd2c3B|"A7sus4"A3E6|
"Dmaj7"E2D3A3D|"F#m7"E2C3A3C|"Em7"z3e2dc2d|"A7sus4"[A2c2][E6A6]z:|
"Push""Em7"G2Bf2e3d|"A9"c3c2de3|"Dmaj7"z2F[d2f2]"Pull"F[e2c2]F|"Push""Bm"d3c3B3|
"Push""Em7"G2Bf2e3d|"A9"c3c2de3|"Dmaj7"F2Ae2d3c|"Bm"d3c3B3:|
W:©2008 Pascale Rubens. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

A beautiful mazurka in the Naragonia style - it's had a lot of supporters over the past few months, so if you've been voting for it, why not have a go at learning it and post your efforts? Even if you didn't vote for it! I think we're virtually all going to have to learn this tune, so don't be shy!

Cheers,

Clive

docEdock

• Respected Sage
  • Hohners, Gaillards, Castagnaris
    • LoafingAboard
Re: Tune of the Month for August 2013: Le Lac de St Croix
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »

Well, I'm tearing up a bit at the good news but then most everyone cries at a wedding -- for one reason or another. :Ph With any luck I'll be able to post a video of my dancing to my playing this mazurka, in a rhythm that Pascale would recognize.
How difficult can it be?
http://loafingaboard.blogspot.com/

Ellisteph

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:23:45 AM »

Well, I'm tearing up a bit at the good news but then most everyone cries at a wedding -- for one reason or another. :Ph With any luck I'll be able to post a video of my dancing to my playing this mazurka, in a rhythm that Pascale would recognize.

I think you need to study Pascale's seated gyrations to master the rhythm - however I suspect you & I would just look ridiculous. Soundcloud?
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

Well I haven't sorted this tune out yet - but looking closely at Pascale's video and trying to reproduce on my GCF, it seems to be a lot easier to play the first part across the GC rows, which on a DG box means it goes something like this:
the first note/first bar is an A push on the D row and the second a G push with a G chord. Then where the ABC notation shows F#m7 you play a Bm push and an A and an F# on the D row, and the run in the third bar sits nicely under the fingers pulling on the G row A,C,E, (Drow) G) and F#.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »

Well I haven't sorted this tune out yet - but looking closely at Pascale's video and trying to reproduce on my GCF, it seems to be a lot easier to play the first part across the GC rows, which on a DG box means it goes something like this:
the first note/first bar is an A push on the D row and the second a G push with a G chord. Then where the ABC notation shows F#m7 you play a Bm push and an A and an F# on the D row, and the run in the third bar sits nicely under the fingers pulling on the G row A,C,E, (Drow) G) and F#.

Yep, nice summary! :-)

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »

Oh, how I love this tune  ;D  I was captivated by it when I first saw & heard Pascale's YouTube video.

I missed that it was Tune of the Month, but Sandy told me, so I thought I'd do a quick recording of it.
These recordings never do justice to when you really enjoy playing a piece do they?!

Anyway, I've been very remiss about uploading recent ToTMs, so here's my contribution for this month.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6z6eIffMDs
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:25:25 PM by zubz »

Rog

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »

I *think* the ABC music above taken from Pascale's book (in Dm) works on an ADG box using the same fingering as Pascale, if you work across the AD rows. Otherwise it's better to transpose it to play it across the DG rows on a two row DG box, though  unless you have a lower octave register is might sound a bit squeaky and high.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »

Brilliant! So it was my bad for posting the dots in D, here they are in G. Now I'll have to start learning it all over again.  :|bl

X:1
T:Le lac de St-Croix (G)
C:Pascal Rubens
O:Belgium
B:Naragonia Tune Book, 2010
M:9/8
L:1/8
%%barnumbers 1
Q:3/8=120
K:G
|:"Gmaj7"A2G3d3G|"Bm7"A2F3d3F|"Am7"A2cg2f3e|"D7sus4"d3A6|
"Gmaj7"A2G3d3G|"Bm7"A2F3d3F|"Am7"z3a2gf2g|"D7sus4"[d3f3][A6d6]:|
|:"Am7"c2eb2a3g|"D9"f3f2ga3|"Gmaj7"z2B[g2b2]B[f2a2]B|"Em"g3f3e3|
"Am7"c2eb2a3g|"D9"f3f2ga3|"Gmaj7"B2da2g3f|"Em"g3f3e3:|
W:©2008 Pascal Rubens. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:58:02 PM by tallship »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Rog

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »

Yes.. sorry about that. I tried to play it in D and thought it was horribly difficult on my DG box, so had a go on my GCF and looked v closely at the vid.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »

Yes.. sorry about that. I tried to play it in D and thought it was horribly difficult on my DG box, so had a go on my GCF and looked v closely at the vid.
No apology needed. Quite the reverse in fact as you merely pointed out the patently obvious!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »

These recordings never do justice to when you really enjoy playing a piece do they?!
Anyway, I've been very remiss about uploading recent ToTMs, so here's my contribution for this month.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6z6eIffMDs
That was really lovely - I thought you did do justice to it and I really enjoyed listening to it (:).
I always feel a bit uncomfortable about posting an attempt following such a great recording, but I'm getting too old to worry so much about those things anymore!  I have been trying to play this since it was first suggested as TOTM a few months ago, and don't think it will get much better until I've got a few more year's playing under my belt, so here goes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY38YETSjnw&feature=youtu.be
Apologies for the incorrect chords - it did seem possible that I might be able to play the chords as written, but it was a bit of a struggle so I went with what sounded OK and i could manage in the end ::).

docEdock

• Respected Sage
  • Hohners, Gaillards, Castagnaris
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »

I have been trying to play this since it was first suggested as TOTM a few months ago, and don't think it will get much better until I've got a few more year's playing under my belt . . .
Apologies for the incorrect chords - it did seem possible that I might be able to play the chords as written, but it was a bit of a struggle so I went with what sounded OK and i could manage in the end ::).
I thought that delightful. Thanks for putting up the post. As for the chords, I liked them and admired the delicate touch you used.
How difficult can it be?
http://loafingaboard.blogspot.com/

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

I thought it worked very well too Spikey, your biggest problem is that you're playing it in D as per my original abc and it's much harder to play on a melodeon in D than it is in G. I've posted the abc in G above and if you can bear to learn it all over again I think you'll find it falls under the fingers quite nicely. Very well played all the same!  (:)

Pete.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »

I was going to 'bottle out' this month, but the tune found its own way home, irregular in almost every respect (and derived from the original abc).

http://youtu.be/fJg_oNOdV5w

All the best

Bill

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »

Thank you very much docEdock - I am looking forward to seeing your mazurka dancing ;).
And thank you Pete!  My new Baffetti doesn't have have the D on the pull that I had been learning the tune with, which is why I posted it on the Morgane (even one note different is enough to throw me :o), but I do want to re-learn it on the Baffetti and will definitely try it in G this time (:).

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »

Sorry it's been a while :|bl. I've still been enjoying the posts over the last year.

This is a beautiful tune but I could not work out what stop setting to play it on. (Saltarelle Nuage)

Settled for this one that sounds a bit tight but less squeaky high in G.

https://soundcloud.com/sandyshallis/le-lac-de-st-croix

Cheers

Sandy
 (:)

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »

I might just be able to master the gallic shrugs, but maybe not the notes.......   :||:
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »

Sorry it's been a while :|bl. I've still been enjoying the posts over the last year.

This is a beautiful tune but I could not work out what stop setting to play it on. (Saltarelle Nuage)

Settled for this one that sounds a bit tight but less squeaky high in G.

https://soundcloud.com/sandyshallis/le-lac-de-st-croix

Cheers
Sandy (:)

The low notes at the beginning are really cool. Great to hear your version of this!  (:)

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »

This is a lovely tune and I just had to learn it. I think Naragonia are great. We went to see them in London some time ago. Toon looked at me and said "I know you, I've seen you on Youtube"  (:)

Here is my effort:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDTnMDF-6qc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal