Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon Related Injury?  (Read 4502 times)

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
Re: Melodeon Related Injury?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 08:35:19 AM »

I now always play with double horizontal straps. This works perfectly with a castagnari lilly. I'd really recommend a castagnari lilly with horizontal straps to anyone suffering from shoulder problems. Not only do you bypass your shoulders, it also keeps your melodeon pretty immobile so people using the thumb-on-the-ledge style of playing don't have to exert too much pressure, which also protects the tendons of your right arm.

With heavier melodeons this double strap system is somewhat uncomfortable on your back and internal organs  ;). This is an old picture that I have already posted on this forum (-not my melodeon). I have now devised a better system for my new heavier melodeon, using two old padded backpackers straps and backpack clips. I'll never go back to straps over the shoulders.

judgecorp

• newbie and cheapskate
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »

Gosh - that's completely different!
Stephanelli D/G, Sandpiper D/G

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »

Also: if you do the lilly castagnari with horizontal straps: always sit down and rest the wood of the right hand part of your melodeon on your left thigh. That way your right shoulder hangs comfortably in its joint and your elbow is also at a natural angle allowing your hand to relax. (it was especially my right arm that was a problem - all the excellent advice on minimal bellows use etc is brilliant for your left arm).

Playing with a relaxed body is key to not causing any further damage.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal