Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignorance = Bliss?  (Read 889 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Ignorance = Bliss?
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »

There's not a lot on TV in Cyprus, but recently we have been inundated by a plethora of auction/junk-buying programmes. Earlier this week one of the "pickers", as I believe they're known in the US, bought an old Hohner 1-row. It was one of those marked something like "Best Award San Francisco 1915", lacquered red like most of those I've seen. Anyway, despite its being clearly marked "Made in Germany" the "expert" pointed out gleefully that it had been made in San Francisco by one of America's leading makers, and up popped a little box on the screen to tell us that "The American acoordion maker Hohner was establishd by Matthias Hohner in San Francisco in 1857".  At least they got the date right.... ::)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Ignorance = Bliss?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »

There's not a lot on TV in Cyprus, but recently we have been inundated by a plethora of auction/junk-buying programmes. Earlier this week one of the "pickers", as I believe they're known in the US, bought an old Hohner 1-row. It was one of those marked something like "Best Award San Francisco 1915", lacquered red like most of those I've seen. Anyway, despite its being clearly marked "Made in Germany" the "expert" pointed out gleefully that it had been made in San Francisco by one of America's leading makers, and up popped a little box on the screen to tell us that "The American acoordion maker Hohner was establishd by Matthias Hohner in San Francisco in 1857".  At least they got the date right.... ::)

Except that they didn't manufacture accordions until nearly 50 years later!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Ignorance = Bliss?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »

Except that they didn't manufacture accordions until nearly 50 years later!

True!  ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal