Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick query - fingering every note?  (Read 6148 times)

Peter G

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Pokerwork, Castagnari Tommy
Re: Quick query - fingering every note?
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »

Hi steve; sorry if not clear - I just meant that it's easier to play a tune fast 'tother way (not staccato) so I can now play one or two particular tunes at a decent speed as I am allowing myself the luxury of not 'double fingering' on the section that was causing me trouble. Tho I still hope to achieve it in the future!
 (:)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Peter. It all makes sense to my poor tired brain now!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:23 PM »

Having come to this thread rather late, I want to pick up on the adverse reaction to the suggestion that there are 'rules' when trying to play in a particular style.

Some people pointed out, quite rightly that, when playing in a session, one should be free to play however one wishes (within reason  >:E). However, there are certain techniques ('rules' is perhaps too strong a term) that need to be taken into account if one wants to play in a particular style. If these techniques are ignored, then the playing will not sound much like the style one is trying to emulate. For instance, if one plays a Cajun tune without playing in octaves and using the ornamentation that is so characteristic of that style, there is no way that the tune will sound Cajun.

Having taken up the one-row box last year, I began learning a range of tunes on it, mainly from East Anglia and from the Yorkshire Dales. It is only recently that I have begun to realise how different the styles of playing are in each of these areas. I can't yet define the differences, but they are there and I intend to spend part of this winter trying to identify the differences between them and apply them in my playing. My point is that there are techniques that define particular styles. We can ignore them if we wish, but if we do so we cannot claim to be playing in that style.

Thread drift alert: This post could take the discussion in a different direction, so, if melnetters want to pursue this further, perhaps we should do so in a separate thread.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal