Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best Melodeon for Morris?  (Read 21913 times)

WestOz

• Regular debater
What is the best Melodeon for Morris?
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:31:19 AM »

A poll conducted on this site as to which Melnetters were involved with Morris Dancing indicated that a majority (2/3rds) of those who responded were dancers, musicians or both.
I wonder if those respondents (and any others) could give their opinions as to which is the "best melodeon for Morris", and why.

Castagnari Dony, DB Oakwood, Hohner Pressedwood,Liliput,Preciosa,Octoput,etc.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: What is the best Melodeon for Morris?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »

Hmmm, don't know that there is truly a best box for morris.  There are, of course, several types of morris and each has a somewhat different style of music to suit.  The workhouse for all types is a Pokerwork/erica and a good one can do everything required of it whereas an unfettled Chinese version can be difficult, to say the least.  A good loud box is handy and notable examples would be the Pokerwork, Dino Baffetti BPII, Oakwood, Sandpiper and that's just thinking of the more effective ones in local sides - covering NW, Border and Cotswold styles.

Rob.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »

fairly wet tunes Hohners seem to work pretty well. The emphasis should I think be on the dance
  _       _    _      _ 

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »

I`d definately vote for the Erica . Loud, durable, Reliable, easy and cheap to fix if you do break it (so last forever), there are samples from the 50s still playing on happily without repairs - has That traditional sound .. the Pokerwork has too but less comfortable to play and a bit less rugged...
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Paul J.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »

As mentioned elsewhere it depends very much on the type of dancing and the style/identity of the team (and prefered musical key in some cases). In general pokerworks and Ericas seem to do well. I no longer have a Hohner in D/G but I find my Castagnari Tommy serves well when I play for a North West team, along side a variety of instruments, including other melodeons, mandolin, whistle, guitar and harmonicas. Its slighty smaller size is usefule when on a tour.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »

Side 1 - Dino Baffeti (don't know model) and Castagnari Lilly
Dinos are the workhorse boxes

Side 2 - ditto, except lead musicians play PAs.

Haven't particularly discussed reasons, but small, loud, rugged and (for Dinos) cost are in there. Both Cotswold.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »

One with a few miles on the clock so you don't get too upset when it's left in the rain, knocked off a table, tripped over by someone's size 12s or has beer spilt over it..........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »

One with a few miles on the clock so you don't get too upset when it's left in the rain, knocked off a table, tripped over by someone's size 12s or has beer spilt over it..........

Assuming you've got a couple of grand to spare, a Baffetti Binci, Dedic tuned, insured through New Moon so if it gets damaged or trashed or nicked you can either fix it or go out and buy a replacement :-)

(which is why I don't use my Oakwood for morris any more)

If you want something reasonably small and loud for playing outdoors there's nothing to touch it. There are obviously better boxes for other purposes...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

DDickie

• Richard Hambridge
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »

A (loud  ;)) D/G such as a Hohner Pokerwerk or Erica (other makes are available).
DDickie

Portsmouth, UK

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »

Shameless plug....  ;D

This melodeon is brilliant for morris, and it is for sale(:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »

A (loud  ;)) D/G such as a Hohner Pokerwerk or Erica (other makes are available).

You call that a loud D/G? THIS (picks up Baffetti Binci) is a *loud* D/G...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

I am in not into Morris as such, but in my  opinion the only box would be a hohner pokerwork or Erica ,Morris is a traditional thing ,so why change what has been a mainstay for many decades.Good as some modern boxes are they do not look or sound traditional for the English music /dancing scene, it would be like playing Cajun with a bafetti,the tune is the same but the flavour is gone .That's my pennysworth any way.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »

Hohner Erica gets my vote. You can literally throw it round your head, it really is a workhorse .
Won't stand being dunked in the River Sid though.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »

I am in not into Morris as such, but in my  opinion the only box would be a hohner pokerwork or Erica ,Morris is a traditional thing ,so why change what has been a mainstay for many decades.Good as some modern boxes are they do not look or sound traditional for the English music /dancing scene, it would be like playing Cajun with a bafetti,the tune is the same but the flavour is gone .That's my pennysworth any way.
Pat, don't go down that route, otherwise the traditional instruments will arguably be the pipe and tabor or possibly fiddle for Cotswold Morris and probably concertina or brass for North West. The arrival of the D/G melodeon to Morris is post-WW2 - an 'invention' of Peter Kennedy.

The best melodeon for Morris is one played well for the dancers, to help drive and lift the dancing.

Personally I use either my Bafetti Binci or a Hohner Presswood, depending upon performance circumstances and weather !
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »

So what was traditional before the D/G pokerwork, introduced by Douglas Kennedy in the mid-1950s?

The pokerwork/Erica (tuned right) was/is popular because it has a bright sound that cuts through background noise, I played one for many years, as did many excellent morris musicians. Though they are brone to breaking reeds when played hard (lost 2 boxes on one morris tour once!), the bellows are weak, the pokerwork is uncomfortable to play, the action is horrible (better with some modifications) -- but they were undoubtedly the best morris box in their day, and are still a damn good one if you put up with the above flaws.

I agree that many of the (expensive) new European boxes don't work for morris, they're too dull and sweet-sounding and quiet -- just because they're high-quality doesn't mean they're the right tool for the job.

Unlike these the Oakwood (tuned right) was/is a great box for morris, I played that for many years too, as did quite a few excellent morris musicians (because they cost a damn site more than a pokerwork or Erica), everyone raved about the sound and they're lovely to play. But insurance is no good if you can't replace it.

So now I play a Binci Baffetti (tuned right), as do quite a lot of excellent morris musicians, and it sounds great -- if anything I'd say it's a little better than the Oakwood for morris, though not so good for other band and tune work, and less comfortable to play. But you can buy one today (for money), and replace it if broken. The "super" variant has a more subtle sound and is better (like the Oakwood) for other playing, but is more expensive and less good for morris than the standard one.

All these boxes have several things in common; they're 2-reed 8-bass D/G, small and light, with a bright cutting sound (tuned right) -- the Hohner has the sharpest edge to the sound but is probably the least loud and breaks most easily, the Oakwood has the "nicest" (but still bright) sound and is pretty damn loud, the Baffetti sound is in between on brightness and is almost certainly the loudest box on the planet, and none of the several people I know who play them (hard!) has had a reed go (yet...).

All are excellent for morris, and I've played all of them for years. But to answer the OP, as a box for morris I'd pick the Binci Baffetti if money permits, or an Erica if it doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:04:41 PM by IanD »

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »

Next question:

Why does the OP want to know? Curi-o-osity or what?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »

Point taken Andy ,I was unaware that morris wth hohners were post war,,this is what happens when you comment on another genre that I know absolutely nothing about :-[ . but they still get my vote. They sound authentic and they are hard as nails.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »

Point taken Andy ,I was unaware that morris wth hohners were post war,,this is what happens when you comment on another genre that I know absolutely nothing about :-[ . but they still get my vote. They sound authentic and they are hard as nails.

I'd have to disagree on the second point; for many years we (Hammersmith) used to own 2 boxes (first pokerworks, then Ericas) at any one time, and we replaced one per year -- so they lasted two years (this was seen as part of the essential running costs of the side!), and were then made available to people who wanted to learn, or sold off. Either way they were played *very* hard (solo, often in noisy environments, by loud players with strong left arms) and were pretty much knackered after two years, the bellows were worn out and the rate of reed failure became too high, which is why we always took both to bookings. I remember one booking where I got up to play the first dance and a reed went part way through, so I switched to the second box for the next dance and another reed went -- two boxes, both broken :-(

Eventually we got fed up with this so I went to Italy and collected a Castagnari Studio from the factory, which was the side's main box for quite a few years -- not as bright a sound as the hohners, but one Studio was much more reliable than two Ericas. Then we discovered Oakwoods (not paid for by the side!) and the rest is history...

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »

My D/G pokerwork did many years sterling service for Cotswold Morris but for my time in a clog band, a chorus of three Costalottis - my Salterelle Berry and a couple of Castagnaris - produced a good round sound to go with the two brass players and two drummers. But I have to admit for all-round grunt the Dino Bafettis do seem to be the box of choice these days - except perhaps for rapper where a melodeon just never seems right to me when compared with a concertina, whistle/recorder or fiddle. And I'd still prefer a solo fiddle for Cotswold morris - so much more atmospheric than any free reed instrument with due apologies for saying that in this Forum! - (PS: I've just noticed that the spell check doesn't like the word melodeon and offers any number of options including 'meltdown'!)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:14:39 PM by Malcolm »
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:16 PM »

Hohner polkerwork or erica every tine.

Someonle said Lilys. They are single reeded and quiet and hence not recommended.

Cajun one rows are good and loud but with chalenges for some tunes.

Bafetti bincis are LOUD but imho nowhere near as good as Hohners for Morris.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal