Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boozoo Chavis Accordion  (Read 1827 times)

deltasalmon

Boozoo Chavis Accordion
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

There was a recent thread about a one-row melodeon possibly being in the Key of E.

I was listening to a Boozoo Chavis album I have and noticed when I tried to play along on my one-row in C that I couldn't play the right notes unless I transposed the music down 4 semitones. Making the recording in the key of E (or playable on a one-row in E instrument at least). As in the previous discussion it was mentioned that a one-row in E would be an uncommon instrument but I think even a 3 row with one row being E isn't all that common an instrument. I think the 3-row tunings I see most are ADG, GCF, FBbEb and BbEbAb.

Does anyone know what instrument he plays? Would it be a three row EAD?
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Boozoo Chavis Accordion
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:09:01 PM »

EAD is common amongst Zydeco musicians, but so is GCF and FBbEb. Boozoo probably owned all of these.
Most of his early triple row recordings were played on GCF.
He also played one-row in Bb, A, G and C.
The tune that you heard in E was likely to have been played on a A accordion.

He also played many tunes in 3rd position, e.g. F on a C accordion or Eb on a Bb accordion.

I have the "Who Stole My Monkey" CD and will try to work out what instrument he is using.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »

................ but not for a while as I'm away on holiday tomorrow morning.  :|glug
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:10:45 AM »

Hohner has made single row melodeons in the key of E. I sold one recently on ebay (item number 281112991277) and have another that I haven't fixed up or tuned.

too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 08:00:44 AM »

Shame you're in the States! That E box would have to be mine of you were this side of the pond!! Bob
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

blafleur

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »

Pretty sure Boozoo had an A accordion, so Rees is probably right.  There are a few E accordions being used by players in Louisiana, but rarely.  In contrast there are a lot of A accordions being used by the zydeco community.  If he was playing on an E accordion, it would sound higher than if he was playing on an A.

deltasalmon

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

Playing with an "A" keyboard makes sense. As I was figuring out what notes were in the tune I noticed he played A♮ and G# but also noticed that there is no D# or D♮ so even though the tune is in E it could easily be played with an "A" melodeon. I'll have to try transposing the audio recording up three semitones instead of down four semitones and playing along with it that way.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal