Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunes from Whitby Workshops  (Read 4220 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Tunes from Whitby Workshops
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »

I promised to post some tunes from workshops I attended at Whitby last week for the benefit of those who attended the workshops but were not able to note down or remember all that was taught. I think I have noted them down as they were taught, but there may be errors of which I am unaware.

Attached to this post is Fox and Geese, as taught by Brian Peters.

I have explained the notation I use on several previous occasions, but if anyone has forgotten it or is new to the forum, please ask if you require anything elucidating.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
Re: Tunes from Whitby Workshops
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »

Thanks, Bob.  That's brilliant.
Steve from Wakefield

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »

Here is Matt Quinn's A Left Turn at Albuquerque.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »

I have spent much of the afternoon trying to post the tune that Issy Emeney used in her workshop, but without success. It seems that for some reason Lucy Farr's Hornpipe can't get past the filter. Lester has already posted the ABC for this tune, but if you want a copy of the sheet music with Issy's bass accompaniment, it looks as though you will have to PM me with your e-mail address.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:05:10 PM by Bob Ellis »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »

I have spent much of the afternoon trying to post the tune that Issy Emeney used in her workshop, but without success. It seems that for some reason Lucy Farr's Hornpipe can't get past the filter. Lester has already posted the ABC for this tune, but if you want a copy of the sheet music with Issy's bass accompaniment, it looks as though you will have to PM me with your e-mail address.

Maybe be it's because it's Lucy Farr's Barn Dance  ;)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »

Not Lucy Near?  ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

Thanks for the correction, Lester, but it certainly sounds like a hornpipe!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »

The tune from Whitby Workshops that's going round my head relentlessly is the Helmsley Sword Dance tune - hypnotic and repetitious, but never boring, even after 27 repeats while we were teaching the dance. Does anyone know what it is called?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »

The tune from Whitby Workshops that's going round my head relentlessly is the Helmsley Sword Dance tune - hypnotic and repetitious, but never boring, even after 27 repeats while we were teaching the dance. Does anyone know what it is called?

Was it this

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »

Thanks Lester, but it wasn't T'Owd Lass. It was this -

X:1
T:Helmsley Sword Dance
S: John Browell, musician to Spen Valley Longsword
M:2/2
R:Hypnotic triplets
K:G
d2GG2A|B2AB3|d2GG2A|B2BA3|d2GG2A|B2AB2c|d2ed2c|B2AG3||
dddd2c|B2cd3|e2ee2c|A2B cBA|GGG G2A|B2cd3|e2ee2c|A2B cBA|

I've just abc'd this from John's dots and it sounds just as we played it!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »

Thanks Lester, but it wasn't T'Owd Lass. It was this -

X:1
M:2/2
d2GG2A|B2AB3|d2GG2A|B2BA3|d2GG2A|B2AB2c|d2ed2c|B2AG3||
dddd2c|B2cd3|e2ee2c|A2B cBA|GGG G2A|B2cd3|e2ee2c|A2B cBA|

I've just abc'd this from John's dots and it sounds just as we played it!

John Browell, a name from the past ! Is he still around?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »

Very much so Kev.  :||:  ;)
I'm a Yorkie!

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »

I was intrigued by the comments about this piece, so looked at the abc's in dot form.
Not knowing this piece, I was puzzled by the time signature. Is there a meaningful difference between this written as 2/2 and played as triplets, compared with it as a 6/8 time sig?

From the dots alone, it sounds the same to me. Any thoughts?

Chris

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »

I was intrigued by the comments about this piece, so looked at the abc's in dot form.
Not knowing this piece, I was puzzled by the time signature. Is there a meaningful difference between this written as 2/2 and played as triplets, compared with it as a 6/8 time sig?

Chris

It can't possibly be 2/2 as there are only 6 quavers to the bar. It's 6/8. (I suppose technically you could write it as 3/4, but the dynamics would be all wrong!)

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »

Chris

It can't possibly be 2/2 as there are only 6 quavers to the bar. It's 6/8. (I suppose technically you could write it as 3/4, but the dynamics would be all wrong!)

Graham

That was my initial thought, Graham - then I noticed that the time reference says "hypnotic triplets", so although they're not shown in the dots, my assumption was that this then gets to the right number in a bar. But then I couldn't understand if there's a practical difference between two triplets in 2/2 time, and the more conventional 6/8 time. (I agree - it's certainly not 3/4 time).

Chris

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »

I noticed that the time reference says "hypnotic triplets", so although they're not shown in the dots, my assumption was that this then gets to the right number in a bar.

Even then the triplets are wrong. If they are written with single tails like quavers, then there are three of them to a crotchet (USA: quarter note) so the time sig would have to be 2/4.

But that's still silly (not wrong, but simply unnecessary), because, as we all seem to agree, by convention 6/8 is used explicitly to define a two-beat rhythm as distinct from the three beat rhythm of 3/4.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »

I noticed that the time reference says "hypnotic triplets", so although they're not shown in the dots, my assumption was that this then gets to the right number in a bar.

Even then the triplets are wrong. If they are written with single tails like quavers, then there are three of them to a crotchet (USA: quarter note) so the time sig would have to be 2/4.

But that's still silly (not wrong, but simply unnecessary), because, as we all seem to agree, by convention 6/8 is used explicitly to define a two-beat rhythm as distinct from the three beat rhythm of 3/4.

The triplet version would, I guess, be crotchets, rather than quaver triplets, but you're right, it's getting silly and unnecessary  ::)

All agreed then :) 6/8 it is, and the triplet version isn't really anything different. Thanks.  :|glug

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »

Up above there you have the M:2/2, with 6 quavers in the bar. Which you can't.
So you should have M:6/8 and get it over with.

However.

It sounds to me like a mash-up of Braes of Marr, which is in common time, so:-

X:2
M:2/2     % or 4/4, 2/4 etc.
Q:1/4=120
Z:C.G.P.
d>GG>A B>AB2|d>GG>A B>AA2|d>GG>A B>AB2|d>ed>c B>AG2||
(3ddd d>c B>cd2|e>ee>c A>B (3cBA|(3GGG G>A B>cd2|e>ee>c A>B (3cBA|]

They both sound much the same when played by dance musicians, the only difference being whether you think one or the other is easier to read. Most of us are used to how schottisches go, so conventionally I would expect to see it in some common time, but it works in 6/8 if you think it makes the triplets look more hypnotic.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal