Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian button accordeons  (Read 10626 times)

wildman

• Ilfracombe, Devon
Russian button accordeons
« on: January 28, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »

I recently bought a Russian box made by Beaapych 29 treble and 25 bass keys. It turned out not to be diatonic as originally specified and from documentation appears to be a 3 octave instrument. It is in mint condition in a well made case with some documentation including basic keyboard layouts in Russian.
Does anyone have any interest or information on these boxes, not what I was looking for so will either return or sell on/ swap  if anyone interested.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:29:38 PM by wildman »
Roger of Ilfracombe
Lifes journey is easier when you hear a friends footsteps beside you.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Russian button accordeons
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »

Depends what you understand by 'diatonic'.

Many players mistakenly believe diatonic means that it will play different notes on push and pull.  If you look up diatonic in a book on musical theory you will discover that a diatonic instrument is one that plays only the notes of one (major) scale.  So a one row melodeon without accidentals is truly diatonic, but a two row, or two and a half row are not strictly speaking diatonic, though each main row is so its a convenient label to use and we all know what we mean.

The Russian instruments like yours are usually diatonic in the strict sense, with then notes of the scale alternating between rows, and no change of note between push and pull.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »

I also read somewhere on this Forum that the Press and Pull is reversed on Russian instruments so that you begin the scale on the pull.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Lars

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:40:01 AM »

What you have there appears to be a "Garmon". These show up around northern europe from time to time, though there does not seem to be many players around these parts - the one's I've seen in newspaper ads and on ebay have not collected high prices, though some of them appeared to be of rather high quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garmon

wildman

• Ilfracombe, Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »

Depends what you understand by 'diatonic'.

Many players mistakenly believe diatonic means that it will play different notes on push and pull.  If you look up diatonic in a book on musical theory you will discover that a diatonic instrument is one that plays only the notes of one (major) scale.  So a one row melodeon without accidentals is truly diatonic, but a two row, or two and a half row are not strictly speaking diatonic, though each main row is so its a convenient label to use and we all know what we mean.

The Russian instruments like yours are usually diatonic in the strict sense, with then notes of the scale alternating between rows, and no change of note between push and pull.
Thank you Theo, music theory has never been my strong point, I have always played by ear.  Total ignorance resulted in me buying this totally unsuitable (for my purpose) box, I cannot play a piano or normal keyboard but do manage a crude tune from a melodeon where push and pull produce a different note. Whatever the correct phrase is for that type of instrument.
I used to play guitar in an Irish band but now would like to learn to play the melodeon. I  no longer play in public or with anyone else, so key of the instrument is not too fussy. Cash is in short supply so will have to find a buyer  for this one before buying another, This is a super box in pristine condition, looks unplayed, and sounds superb comes with two instruction books, (which includes keyboard layouts) so anyone who can read music would have no problem. Shoulder Straps are leather, and all contained in a solid hard case.
Roger of Ilfracombe

TomB-R

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »

Looking at the keyboard layouts on the wiki page linked above, my first thought was, is it like a push-pull one-row with two rows instead of push and pull? Partly so, but no turnaround at the end of the octave, so the fingering alternates between octaves! (These crazy free-reed instruments!)

"Garmoshka" seems to produce more hits of this type of instrument on Youtube than garmon does.  The couple I listened to sounded quite organetto-like with lots of rapid runs.  Highly inspiring, perhaps, to someone who would then like to buy Wildman's  ;D
Tom

wildman

• Ilfracombe, Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:45:55 AM by wildman »
Roger of Ilfracombe

finnhorse

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »

What do the insides look like?  If it is a quality instrument which plays well, would a new set of reeds or an old set from a spare box be worth the investment to install?  I'm curious.. I frequently see them on ebay rarely collecting selling for more 60 or 70 dollars, but the shipping from Russia to the US plus some general nerves (like those shady Hong Kong auctions) makes them prohibitively expensive.  Stradella bass is what originally intrigued me.

TomB-R

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »

I've had similar thoughts! (The bass layout is shown on the wiki page linked above.) Yes, it would be interesting to know whether it is a fixed relationship, button-pallet-reeds at the bass end, or a multi-linked Stradella type of arrangment.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »

Hi Wildman

It might help if people could see and try the box.  Where abouts in the country are you ?  I take you are in England.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

wildman

• Ilfracombe, Devon
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03:06 PM »

Hi Wildman

It might help if people could see and try the box.  Where abouts in the country are you ?  I take you are in England.
I am in Ilfracombe, Devon, anyone welcome to come and try it. I have taken some photos of the keyboard layouts whick you may find interesting.
Treble first

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp218/wildman692/wildman365125.jpg
then the Base, now if some kind person could transpose the base cords into english (I don't read music)I would much appreciate it.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp218/wildman692/wildman365124.jpg
follow the link to see to see full size, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:55:07 PM by wildman »
Roger of Ilfracombe

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »

Hello wildman,

The base pick shows the notes using the F clef, where the note F is located on the line between the two dots, i.e. note 23 = F.
The picture is too poor quality to be absolutely sure, but here is what I get at first glance. Please do check this once more.

25 = A
24 = G
23 = F
22 = E
21 = D
20 = C
19 = B
18 = A
17 = F#

16 = D
15 = F,D,E
14 = A
13 = A,C,E
12 = E
11 = G#,B,D,E
10 = B
9 = F#,A,B,D#
8 = A
7= F,B,C
6 = C
5= G,C,E
4= G
3= G,B,D
2= D
1 = F#,A,C,D
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

wildman

• Ilfracombe, Devon
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »

Many thanks for that Risto, I will continue trying to make sense of the instrument, however if anyone has something more suitable for a beginner to learn on I could well be interested in a swap. A pokerwork G/C or D/g for example.
Any idea why my photos do not enlarge when clicked on, I placed the "IMG" file tag from photobucket.com as I do in other forums but size remains small. What am I doing wrong?

Roger of Ilfracombe

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »

Any idea why my photos do not enlarge when clicked on, I placed the "IMG" file tag from photobucket.com as I do in other forums but size remains small. What am I doing wrong?
On this forum, using the "IMG" tags to upload a photo seems to limit it to 200 pixels wide max. To get a clickable, larger, photo, don't use the "IMG" tags. Instead, make the photo an attachment to your post using the "+ Additional Options" feature on the "Post Reply" page.

finnhorse

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »

Many thanks for that Risto, I will continue trying to make sense of the instrument, however if anyone has something more suitable for a beginner to learn on I could well be interested in a swap. A pokerwork G/C or D/g for example.

Right-click over the photo and select 'view image' from the drop down menu.

That's a fantastic photo, btw.  The box is quite a lot larger than I had imagined.

wildman

• Ilfracombe, Devon
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »

no "veiw image" option on right click, did you manage to enlarge it?
Roger of Ilfracombe

finnhorse

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »

Hmm.. which browser are you using?  It enlarged on mine, opened in a new window, I use Firefox.

htoyryla

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »

I've had similar thoughts! (The bass layout is shown on the wiki page linked above.) Yes, it would be interesting to know whether it is a fixed relationship, button-pallet-reeds at the bass end, or a multi-linked Stradella type of arrangment.

I don't know about the model in the original post, but you can find my pictures of the insides of a Russian Garmoshka here: http://freygish.com/soitinwiki/index.php/Garmoshka_insides . This is a Trojanda garmoshka, probably made in the Ukraine in the early 80s, and as you can see, not in great condition. Aside of this one, I hade two garmoshkas that are in good playing condition. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUJlkzFZFU and my other garmoshka videos, just do not expect great playing, the videos are for information only  (:)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:53:48 AM by htoyryla »

nemethmik

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »

See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUJlkzFZFU
Hannu!
I loved you instructional video. I'm thinking that this instrument possibly was derived from the bulky, heavy weight bayan. The old-time folks needed a much lighter and cheaper accordion and they got rid of the unnecessary buttons. They kept the buttons of one major scale, and they played tunes only in that major and relative minor scales. Exectly as on a single row accordion. On the other hand, they kept the left hand buttons needed for those scales.
Excellent concepts, thank you again.
Miki

htoyryla

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »

On the other hand, they kept the left hand buttons needed for those scales.

Nice to hear you liked the video.

The bass side of a garmoshka is also amazingly economical in that it provides so many chords (IV, I, V and II in both major and minor) while actually only having reeds for each note of the diatonic scale.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal