Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for September 2013: Sous Le Ciel De Paris / Banks of the Seine  (Read 15506 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

A clear winner this month, a parisian (I assume!) waltz, Sous Le Ciel De Paris, also known as Banks of the Seine, after Tony Hall named it that on his recording 'Fieldvole Music'. Written by Jean Drejac, in 1950 I gather.

Thanks to Lester, here's some ABC (cheers Lester) in C and G (actually, it's in a minor key, but you get the idea, G/C speak and D/G speak I think)

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Sous le Ciel de Paris
C:J Drejac
M:3/4
K:C
|: E2 A2 B2 | c4 d2 | e2 d2 c2 | B2 A2 G2 |
F6 | e6 | d6 | -d4 z2|
E2 ^G2 A2 | B4 c2 | d2 f2 e2 | d2 c2 B2 |
|1 A6 | G6 | F6 | E6 :|2 A6 | -A6 | -A6 ||
B2 c2 B2 | A6 | -A6 | -A6 |
B2 c2 B2 | A4 B2 | c4 d2 | e3 f g2 |
f2 e2 d2 | e6 | d6 | c6 | B2 c2 B2 |
E2 A2 B2 | c4 d2 | e2 d2 c2 | B2 A2 G2 |
F6 | e6 | d6 | -d4 z2|
E2 ^G2 A2 | B4 c2 | d2 f2 e2 | d2 c2 B2 |
A6 | -A6 | -A6 ||

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Sous le Ciel de Paris
C:J Drejac
M:3/4
K:G
|: B2 e2 f2 | g4 a2 | b2 a2 g2 | f2 e2 d2 |
c6 | b6 | a6 | -a4 z2|
B2 ^d2 e2 | f4 g2 | a2 c'2 b2 | a2 g2 f2 |
|1 e6 | d6 | c6 | B6 :|2 e6 | -e6 | -e6 ||
f2 g2 f2 | e6 | -e6 | -e6 |
f2 g2 f2 | e4 f2 | g4 a2 | b3 c' d'2 |
c'2 b2 a2 | b6 | a6 | g6 | f2 g2 f2 |
B2 e2 f2 | g4 a2 | b2 a2 g2 | f2 e2 d2 |
c6 | b6 | a6 | -a4 z2|
B2 ^d2 e2 | f4 g2 | a2 c'2 b2 | a2 g2 f2 |
e6 | -e6 | -e6 ||

... and here's a Tony Hall'esque version of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60U9cxYSSHc

... though it is certainly a tune that can be played simply, or complex, and with plenty of opportunity for putting your own mark on the tune. A great tune of the month then!

Happy recording!

Clive

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....

First up!!

I learned this from Tony's LP when it first came out, when I was 18. My pokerwork didn't have accidentals, so I reworked those notes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYiCWdHeDQs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKhMCsH6Xs4bOabTueiND2A

Enjoy
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

docEdock

• Respected Sage
  • Hohners, Gaillards, Castagnaris
    • LoafingAboard

I learned this from Tony's LP when it first came out, when I was 18.

Enjoy
Wow, that was terrific. I loved all those variations. Thanks for the inspiration. What a great start for TOTM.
Doc
How difficult can it be?
http://loafingaboard.blogspot.com/

pikey

• Thread mod

Ta.  (:)
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

arty

With my limited experience, (15 months now), I don't think I can do justice to this month's Sous Le Ciel de Paris.

So instead, I have started to learn Pixie Wings, which failed to gather many votes in the poll. I am loving this for a couple of reasons: first, the tune is quite lovely and just rolls along easily under the fingers and secondly, it is giving me so much good practice in crossing the rows and using every one of the eight bass buttons. I feel it is really opening my eyes as to what one can do with a tune.

I hope, by the end of the month, I will be able to play it well enough to warrant recording it.

Has anyone else tried this piece?
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire

Great job, Pikey. And my vote for most formidable accordion-face ever.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants

First up!!

I learned this from Tony's LP when it first came out, when I was 18. My pokerwork didn't have accidentals, so I reworked those notes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYiCWdHeDQs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKhMCsH6Xs4bOabTueiND2A

Enjoy

Hey, bravo

pikey

• Thread mod

Great job, Pikey. And my vote for most formidable accordion-face ever.

Lol ! That tune needs a lot of concentration  ;)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

Doesn't use all that more notes than a morris tune, but is in harmonic minor. So you are looking for a D# (=Eb) rather than a D to get a "gay Paris" sound. The odd D natural won't matter at all, but as the melody turns onto its dominant cadence (in Em) it is screaming for a B major chord, same button as Em, push (unless modified) "that's what it is for" ;) 

The "ii" chord in the standard Em progression is F#m7b5. This looks scary, but is actually just 4 adjacent pull buttons F#ACE on the British melodeon's inner row, and resolves onto either Em or (more à la mode?) via that B(push) chord. Actually you only need to sound F# against C (both pull) to get the effect … eg dot in a right end F# when the melody is on C

The film came out in 1950 and doesn't seem to be on youtube at all. Piaf did the song, but to a rather Hollywood accompaniment. I prefer Yves Montand's version. The accompanying shots of the city are very modern, though. The film's plot is extraordinary

Wiki: Under the sky of Paris, during a day, we see large and small events that occur in the lives of several people whose fates will interfere. A poor old lady, after searching in vain all day to feed her cats, receives unexpected reward of a mother who, thanks to her, found at night her daughter who had been lost since morning. A young girl, dreaming of love, refuses the advances of her childhood friend to be stabbed to death by a sadistic sculptor. The latter is shot by a policeman who accidentally injured a worker who was returning home after the successful conclusion of a strike. Rushed to hospital, the injured worker is saved through the first open-heart surgery performed by a young surgeon who has just flunked his intern exam.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:35:48 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Rog

Doesn't use all that more notes than a morris tune, but is in harmonic minor. So you are looking for a D# (=Eb) rather than a D to get a "gay Paris" sound. The odd D natural won't matter at all, but as the melody turns onto its dominant cadence (in Em) it is screaming for a B major chord, same button as Em, push (unless modified) "that's what it is for" ;) 

The "ii" chord in the standard Em progression is F#m7b5. This looks scary, but is actually just 4 adjacent pull buttons F#ACE on the British melodeon's inner row, and resolves onto either Em or (more à la mode?) via that B(push) chord. Actually you only need to sound F# against C (both pull) to get the effect … eg dot in a right end F# when the melody is on C

I was thinking that exact same thing...  :P

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

Well, that's two of us…
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Thread mod

Three....

Rog

I know this link was shown in the voting thread, but this really is a great example of this tune on a two row by Anders Johanssen. Something for me to aim for..
http://accordeonaire.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/sous-le-ciel-de-paris.html
And slightly off topic you can find a couple of examples of him doing a duet of my all time fave tune Libertango..

pikey

• Thread mod

Nice  !

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert

With my limited experience, (15 months now), I don't think I can do justice to this month's Sous Le Ciel de Paris.

So instead, I have started to learn Pixie Wings, which failed to gather many votes in the poll. I am loving this for a couple of reasons: first, the tune is quite lovely and just rolls along easily under the fingers and secondly, it is giving me so much good practice in crossing the rows and using every one of the eight bass buttons. I feel it is really opening my eyes as to what one can do with a tune.

I hope, by the end of the month, I will be able to play it well enough to warrant recording it.

Has anyone else tried this piece?

Rather than let your question slip by unanswered arty, I feel I must reply because I nominated Pixie Wings in the first place! I'm messing about with it a lot in different keys on both melodeon and English concertina and I too am pleased to find a tune that has loads of room for fairly uneducated noodling. Hopefully it will reappear in another Tune of the Month poll and do rather better. If not keep playing it like crazy and sooner or later a Theme of the Month will come along that it fits with the tune. There may even be an amnesty Theme of the Month like 'Whatever Takes your Fancy' to allow frustrated contributors the opportunity to post their version of "Remember You're a Womble" *shudders*  >:E
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

DaveD

• Good talker

Hi

I've attempted to transpose this tune from Lester's G (Em) to D (Bm) to play in a slightly lower register.
Although the right hand notes are easily playable I'm finding it difficult to fit left hand accompaniment within the limited bass range apart from Bm to start off. The question is can this tune be played in Bm on a D/G box and if so what are the relevant chords?.

Dave

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music

I've attempted to transpose this tune from Lester's G (Em) to D (Bm) to play in a slightly lower register.
Although the right hand notes are easily playable I'm finding it difficult to fit left hand accompaniment within the limited bass range apart from Bm to start off. The question is can this tune be played in Bm on a D/G box and if so what are the relevant chords?.

Not really, and you've correctly identified lack of chords as the reason why not!

In Bm, you'll need a F# (major) in prominent places. There may be others, but that's the most obviously missing one. Maybe a 12 bass box could do it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

DaveD

• Good talker

Anahata

Thanks for the information guessed it couldn't be that easy, so it's back to Em and the dusty end of the keyboard.

Dave

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage

I am learning it in C-minor on a Hohner Club I (Bb/Eb) and the tune seems to sit very nicely in that key so far. 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music

C minor on a Bflat/Eflat box is the button-position equivalent of E minor on a D/G, so I'd expect that to work well.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal