Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for September 2013: Sous Le Ciel De Paris / Banks of the Seine  (Read 15505 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants

And after about 17 attempts to get this up on YouTube ...

Here's my version on the Lucia in Am transposing to Bm at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQtg_jFWRt0

Well I think that is excellent!!

So..erm.. what *is* the box you are playing?

edit: OK, so I've just been looking at your other posts. Is it a sort of hybrid box with free bass LH and a DG+ thing on the RH?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:29:42 PM by RogerThomas »

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys

Arranged for 2.6 row 12 bass.  Still a few fumbles, but you get the idea. I enjoyed making a different arrangement, and figuring out that middle section, but a bit of a struggle to actually play.

SOUS LE CIEL DE PARIS:   http://youtu.be/L6bYoMK0V-I
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:59:38 PM by Jackhumphreys »

Microbot

• Respected Sage

And after about 17 attempts to get this up on YouTube ...

Here's my version on the Lucia in Am transposing to Bm at the end.

Amazing ..... All the flavour, all the meandering chords+majors and minors, all the tricky corners in the tune ... and check out the bass runs!!!!

.... it's the ability to take on this type of music and pull it off that makes Lucia+Stradella+Squeezy pretty damn formidable .... Bravo 'Monsieur Jean Spiers' ... it's a genuine party piece that will just get ever slicker ...

.......... and just wait till you unleash the Cornelia version!!!

cheers

Mike

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music

So..erm.. what *is* the box you are playing?

Looks/sounds like Stradella bass.
The black and white patterns on the RH keys are right for a B system CBA but it doesn't look like that's what he's playing.

So yes... what is it?

OK - edited to answer my own question: D/G/accidentals from signature under Squeezy's avatar...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:18:27 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Rog

Well if I've correctly worked out Squeezy's  id then not surprised it is v inspiring. Intrigued also about the button system on his box.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert

Well if I've correctly worked out Squeezy's  id then not surprised it is v inspiring.

I don't think Squeezy's I.D. is any great secret, just watch the video again and look at the name of the channel!  :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:26:12 PM by tallship »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Rog

Well if I've correctly worked out Squeezy's  id then not surprised it is v inspiring.

I don't think Squeezy's I.D. any great secret, just watch the video again and look at the name of the channel!  :D
Well I'm reasonably new around here so I was a bit surprised, but it just reinforces the sense of <said wiv a fick cockney accent> community.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk

I'm sorry to have used tune of the month to try out this new system on you all ... there are plenty of fumbles in that video.  Yes it's me ... I've been on here ... well forever!

I have loved the whole tune of the month thing and followed it religiously since it started ... this one has been particularly illuminating seeing how this great tune has been approached in so many different ways.  My favourite video still is the one by Anders Johannsen though - he is so thoroughly in charge of that instrument and the rhythm is so solid and jaunty.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert

Well I'm reasonably new around here so I was a bit surprised, but it just reinforces the sense of <said wiv a fick cockney accent> community.

There are many cunning disguises used on here, it's a hotbed of intrigue, smoke and mirrors. Watch out for a member called Andy Cutting, you'll never guess who he is!  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire

I'm sorry to have used tune of the month to try out this new system on you all ...

Yes, you must apologize for tweeking the obsessive compulsives here:  like dogs to squirrels. "A new system?" sniff sniff "A new system!?!"

My favourite video still is the one by Anders Johannsen though - he is so thoroughly in charge of that instrument and the rhythm is so solid and jaunty.
I agree.  I am in awe.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys

I was feeling so pleased with myself I'd sort of worked this out of 2.6 row 12 bass, http://youtu.be/L6bYoMK0V-I then along comes Squeezy with that spectacularly complete arrangement, to keep me humble again.  Still, mine did have bisonoric basses, so, not so bad.
I suppose this tune is not really a typical melodeon tune, so it's amazing that Anders Johanssen does it so marvelously on only a two row. The stradella basses give Squeezy so much flexibility and fluency, though there is his extreme talent and skill too.  I'm thinking about getting a new box. And this is the conflict.  Do I go for a bigger box, with lots of basses, maybe even Darwin or Stradella  or do I listen to advice from Andy Cutting and Emmanuel Parisselle?   Andy always says that its the limitations of our instrument that give it its character, so he doesn't feel at home  with 3 rows and 18 basses. He said (at Wantage)  that if he played a  bigger (more complete) instrument, to make playing easier, then he'd be that much more boring as a player.  And Parisselle has this spiel  when he talks about going on a hiking trip, and then adding more and more items to your backpack, in case they might be needed, so in the end it's so heavy, you can't enjoy the trip.  So he pares down his instrument to make sure it's light enough to do his push-pulling.  So listenig to those two gurus, it just seems OTT to go for an 18 bass.  On the other hand, listen to Naragonia and Bruno Le Tron and lots of others on their 18 bass Handrys. This is all relevant for me as I'm off on a trip to Toulouse next week to visit Serafini!
Maybe Theo will move this to instrument construction) 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:44:21 AM by Jackhumphreys »

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk

Oh Jack - you're making me wish I hadn't put it up now.  Your version is great - I particularly admire the linking passages during the long notes - something which is a common device in classic french café style - something I pretty much omitted completely as I played it a bit too fast to get anything that subtle in ... and your linking passages sound more melodeon-ey than most which give it a nice character.

As for the system ... Andy Cutting and Emmanuel Pariselle are right in my opinion - a full Stradella has too few limitations to sound as charmingly diatonic as normal bisonoric basses do ... it is possible to imitate what a melodeon would do with stradella - but frankly it's such a fun thing to let your imagination take you where you want to go with the basses that it's hard not to.

My Loffet 18 bass has a heavier left hand than the instrument I'm playing in the video - but I think the main difference in how it sounds and plays is the cross-sectional area of the bellows which is again much bigger on my Loffet box.  And that is what I think is being alluded to when you recount what Andy said.

Choice of box really has to be down to what you want it to do for you ... and nothing else!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage

Don't be put off posting John; I'm sure Jack was only joking.  It's really great to see what a talented pro can do with ToTM.  Feel free to post every month!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:10:50 PM by Bavarian Pete »

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys

Don't be put off posting John; I'm sure Jack was only joking.  It's really great to see what a talented pro can do with ToTM.  Feel free to post every month!
Definitely. Not to have posted would have deprived us all of wonderful music, and something to aspire to.
I need every help to keep humble. so thanks!!!
And thanks for your kind comments, Squeezy.

Rog

A bit off topic but as the previous posts are about use of bass and the available systems; if you want to hear fabulous bass control from John Kirkpatrick, he has many fine examples, but Accordionism is worth a listen (i assume played on his BCC, with Stradella bass) as is The Dance of the Demon Daffodils (though not sure if the latter is overdubbed with a bass box of some kind).

Stoneyfiddler

Here's a late contribution from Vienna / Austria, played on my 3 row Verde Venarie G/C/alt box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPUIcyZ8k3k

Stephan

TomBom

• Respected Sage

Sehr schön!

my 3 row Verde Venarie G/C/alt box

Stephan, does your box have one row of accidentals?

Thomas
Greetings from Augsburg, Germany

Stoneyfiddler

Hi Thomas!

Stephan, does your box have one row of accidentals?

Yes, the inner row is all accidentals. With a "Gleichton" (G on pull) in the middle and high octave of my middle (C major) row, it gives me a full chromatic scale on the pull through almost 2 1/2 octaves (not that I can yet fully do it justice, but there might be situations when this comes handy ;))

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Well done all, end of the month and time to pick a new tune! Late submissions always welcome; stick them on the end here!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal