Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing in?  (Read 4970 times)

HallelujahAl

Playing in?
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »

Ok, I got this old melodeon that has a set of bellows that are like rock to move, they look like they're new. So how long should it be before my arms stop hurting? I mean its good for my arms and chest muscles -but...any advice please!

I normally play an elderly Hohner Erica on which the bellows are supersmooth. No comparison at all.
Al

Bryson

• Regular debater
  • Connemara II - Pokerwork - Lilly - Black Pearl II
Re: Playing in?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »

I bought a new Salterelle Connemara II at Easter 2007.. about 18 months ago. The bellows are still not played in. I guess it also depends on the material etc used to make the bellows. Before the Salty Conny I played a Hohner Pokerwork for a number of years and in comparison the bellows are well played in. The other aspect of hurting arms is the weight of the box itself. It took me a good 6 months to get my arms in trim. As I have gradually played in the Salty and it has become "lighter" to play the strength can then be used in more subtle ways .. accenting notes, popping out notes or phrases etc.

The other possibility is that your melodeon was rarely played and stored away closed. I guess the bellows would, over the years, become a bit stuck!
A Blackburn Rovers fan since 1957 :( cross rowing on a D/G melodeon since 2007

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »

You could try hanging it up when not being played to stretch the bellows. Hang it from the lightest end so the heavy end does the business.
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

finnhorse

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »

I have this crackpot idea that fabric softener could solve the problem.  I've recently taken possession of a total junker East German box so I thought that I would try applying a very thin bead of the stuff in the "valleys" of the bellows (all four sides)... then give them a short workout, let the thing dry overnight and see what happens.  If it's a disaster then no big deal.  I've wasted $20 on much worse!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:06:30 PM by finnhorse »

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »

I'm with Bill on this one, hang it up.  It may take days to get what you want, but it works.

It's my guess the fabric conditioner, even if it works to begin with, will age harden and the problem will become worse.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »

I've had my Castagnari Kriss III for about 15 months now bought from new and i tell you it's still stiff as hell ok not as bad as it was but it still gives me aches. I work in the construction industry so i'm used to lifting slabs and kerbs etc so i should be used to physical exercise but it still gets me after a while. I like Bill's idea of hanging it up to stretch it. So i take it the treble end is the heaviest so that means you could hang it from the hand strap on the bass end it's almost like the makers knew. I'm not too sure about adding fabric softener either after all you're talking about adding a liquid compound to your cardboard bellows the effects could be irreversible. You could end up loosing all flexibility and cracking them after they've dried out, the only plus side to this would be a lovely scented waft coming from your bellows during play.
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »

Maybe you should get one of these to help. I have a friend and this is how he sorted the problem of playing his pipes in...

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »

Love it!  Gonna give my box a stretch - great idea. Thanks!
AL

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »

Oh, Hang it All!!!
[/b]

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:01:33 PM »

More conservative approach which I gleaned from somewhere on the net, maybe here or on the old board? Spread the corners of each bellows fold apart with your fingers until you hear a gentle creaking sound. Don't use too much force, obviously!

Alternatively, open the bellows as far as they will go and lay the instrument down on a bed before you go out for the day. Repeat several days running. This was suggested by Paul Groff.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »

I'm giving the "hanging it up by the short and curlies" method a go. How long should I leave it hanging, to be on the safe side? ???
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »

I'm trying the 'playing it as often as possible' technique!   ;)

HallelujahAl

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »

I'm trying the 'playing it as often as possible' technique!

I'm too knackered for anything as complex as 'technique'!
AL

finnhorse

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »

Is the box in that photo fully extended?  That is stiff! 

HallelujahAl

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »

yep - that's fully extended - and keeps wanting to close up at that hence my very sore arms.
AL

finnhorse

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »

You really weren't kidding.. erm, it's not closing upside down is it?  :P

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »

Treat a like a Pheasant, hang it for a week.  You can add weights - to the box not a Pheasant.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal