Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lillibulero  (Read 4014 times)

Pala

Lillibulero
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »

Does anyone know where to find the music for the old tune Lillibulero? for B/C Melodeon and Mandolin preferably. Google is proving useless.

Thank you!

Pala

derekw

Re: Lillibulero
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »

If I'd known I'd live this long I'd taken more care of myself.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »

Just use Google to search for "lillibulero tune abc"  and you will find tons of examples.  It doesn't really matter what instrument it is for, the tune is the same.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

And there's http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind
Highly recommended.  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »

And there's http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind
Highly recommended.  :||:

For some reason I'm using http://www.folktunefinder.com a lot more these days.
Much prettier interface and seems just as good at finding the tunes.
Plus it has a "spell out a tune on the piano keyboard" feature which has occasionally been useful.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »

Cracking tune, as a tune. But be aware that the words sung to it in the late 17th Century, and sometimes still associated with the chorus/ B music were highly insulting anti-Catholic satire. Thus it had, and may still have, political ramifications. Of course there are other, more innocent, sets of words used to it (eg Nottingham Ale) and it used to feature as a BBC signature tune.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Pala

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »

Thank you everyone! :)

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »

Daddy Long Les adds a nice little part C to Lillibulero that I wasn't familiar with, despite me knowing the tune since I was young. Does anyone know of its provenance?
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Peadar

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 08:25:18 PM »

All I know is that it was the marching song of Cumberland's army....so never a big hit west of Kingussie.   (It probably wasn't hugely popular east of Kingussie either come to think of it).
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 09:29:37 PM »

It's the marching song of REME although they added something else to it.....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb80GpfVMqQ
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 10:28:41 PM »

You asked about provenance. The tune is in Playford's Dancing Master, vol. 8 (London, 1690, p. 216)

However, according to the Encyclopedia Brittanica

"The earliest known printed version of the tune now associated with the words appeared in Robert Carr’s Delightful Companion (1686), for recorder or flute. The words, with the tune printed above, were issued on a single sheet in 1688; it was reprinted in a number of different collections during the next 100 years."

But, there is a an earlier reference to the tune in one of Shadwell's plays, "The Scowrers" written about 1670, which suggests that the tune was well known before this.  In the play, the character, Eugenia, says:

"...and another music-master from the next town, to teach one to twinkle out Lilliburlero  upon an old pair of virginals, that sound worse than a tinker's kettle that he cries his work upon".

This snippet is quoted in the the preliminary dissertation to the Skene manuscript, by William Dauney, (M.DCCC.XXXVIII, which I think is 1838), page 19.

It is better known, these days, as Rock A Bye Baby.

[Edit: I found this nugget a few minutes ago:

According to legend this tune first appears in 1641 in Ulster. Richard Talbot (1630-1691), a Catholic and royalist, had been made Earl of Tyrconnel after the Restoration and King James II later appointed him Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (1686). He pursued strong pro-Catholic policies. Even after James was deposed in England Tyrconnel governed Ireland in James' name. Irish Catholic forces were eventually defeated by William. English and Irish Protestants took up the song as their melody during that time.

The source quoted is Folk Songs of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales and Songs That Made History, Lesley Nelson-Burns
This is where I found this
https://www.contemplator.com/ireland/lilli.html  ]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:20:12 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 10:52:43 PM »

It's the marching song of REME although they added something else to it.....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb80GpfVMqQ
Aupres de ma Blonde, maybe.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

george garside

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »

I used to play it regularly on both DG and BCC# boxes but havnt played it for years.  Its a cracking tune  that hopefully will still be lurking somewhere in the grey matter. 

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 08:06:02 AM »

It used to be the signature tune for the BBC World Service, and is stuck in my mind from hearing it, as a very young person, in pre-independence parts of Empire; Malaya, Singapore and Aden. Nowadays, I listen to the World Service occasionally, in the dead of night when  sleep is elusive, but I can't recall the last time I heard it on there. Perhaps they've dropped it, for some reason or the other.

Roger Howard

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »

G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »

Years ago went to my first Darlington Folk Works Weekend where John Kirkpatrick led a big band arrangement of this tune with 4 parts - including melodeons and harp Fantastic-  !
Think he also did a concert for the BBC with a rather more select band of musicians.
Paul
Location NE Fife

Nigel.H

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »

Not that it would necessarily be to the taste of Melodeon aficionado's, but Bellowheads version of the Curst Farmers Wife to the tune never fails to get the toes ( and everything else tapping )  The 1st May is always sad for the sake of their demise in our house.  And S.J. is on there, I think it is possible to hear the buttons clicking in one on-line offering.

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 07:52:28 PM »

Thanks all! As I say, it's a tune I've known for many years, and which I associate with the Williamite/Jacobite Wars (I grew up in the unionist community in Northern Ireland and this tune was never really part of the marching tradition, but was known from historical re-enactments and so forth).

I'm still wondering though about the Part C that Daddy Long Les plays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYFtIX-F_c), as I wasn't familiar with it, but its a cheery little extra that I like, and was wondering if it is traditional. Lillibulero's a tune I very much enjoy playing, though I appreciate its historical associations are complicated (but hopefully we can enjoy a tune in and of itself regardless of what lyrics have been put to it at one time or another).
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »

"we can enjoy a tune in and of itself"

Of course we can! Well said.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal