Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lillibulero  (Read 4022 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Re: Lillibulero
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »

Thanks all! As I say, it's a tune I've known for many years, and which I associate with the Williamite/Jacobite Wars (I grew up in the unionist community in Northern Ireland and this tune was never really part of the marching tradition, but was known from historical re-enactments and so forth).

I'm still wondering though about the Part C that Daddy Long Les plays (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYFtIX-F_c), as I wasn't familiar with it, but its a cheery little extra that I like, and was wondering if it is traditional. Lillibulero's a tune I very much enjoy playing, though I appreciate its historical associations are complicated (but hopefully we can enjoy a tune in and of itself regardless of what lyrics have been put to it at one time or another).

My version is one that we play for the Chelmsford Morris Men.  I'll try and find out where the C part comes from.

Les
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 11:04:11 AM »

My version is one that we play for the Chelmsford Morris Men.  I'll try and find out where the C part comes from.

You're brilliant Les, thank you! I love this extra bit I didn't know, so would be interested to learn more about it.
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »

You're brilliant Les, thank you! I love this extra bit I didn't know, so would be interested to learn more about it.

Ok.  This is the information given to me by our band leader.  This extra C part was almost certainly written by Chelmsford Morris to fit their own dance, King Cunobelin's Defeat.  This is a dance that our men perform.  It's been suggested that it was written by the late Greg Trice who was a Chelmsford Morris musician who composed lots of tunes.

I hope this is of some interest.

Les
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »

That's brilliant Les, very interesting indeed! I like the segment and I think I'll include it in my play as it adds a bit of lightness, indeed Morris-y-ness to it, to good effect. Again, much appreciated.
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal