Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search Engine  (Read 3597 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Search Engine
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »

Any chance of a nice wooden search engine with thumb groove with easily fitted felt to limit the button travel, Theo? ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Search Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »

Chris I've moved this because I agree with you that there is a need for a better search facility than the one built in to the forum.

It is possible to use Google to search within one domain, I wonder if we could put in some code to do that in place of the default search we have now.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:21 AM »

There you go - I've added it as well as, rather than instead of, the standard search - the normal search does do user specific searches that Google won't.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »

In being moved it's sort of lost the context what made it a joke :-X Never mind, wish list stuff tends o look a year ahead, but change has happened much quicker than that!

May I thank our admin team on behalf of the forum. We now all need to experiment with the new facility, see how it works  ;D
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »

Thanks Clive
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »

Had a go and found the 'CSE search' box utterly mysterious.

The second search box did what I expected, but a line or so of text might assist the naïve user. I also missed the black line round the box that melnet usually affords. I know pale grey on light blue is 'very fashionable' in restaurant menus but  ... don't get me started :Ph

Hope this helps
  _       _    _      _ 

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »

Thanks Clive. Works well; but would it be possible to make the Google search page open in a new tab/window, like other links from within Melnet?  That way one could return easily to the Melnet page one was on before starting the search.

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »

Thanks Clive. Works well; but would it be possible to make the Google search page open in a new tab/window, like other links from within Melnet?  That way one could return easily to the Melnet page one was on before starting the search.

If you browser lets you (most will, I believe) you can right-click on the "Google Search" tab and choose "Open in New Window" to open a Melodeon.net Google search window without closing your original Melodeon.net window. If your browser does tabs you could open in a new tab, if you want to do it that way.

TBV

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »

If you browser lets you (most will, I believe) you can right-click on the "Google Search" tab and choose "Open in New Window" to open a Melodeon.net Google search window without closing your original Melodeon.net window. If your browser does tabs you could open in a new tab, if you want to do it that way.

TBV
Yes to both; but I sometimes forget to do either, and both require extra clicking/pressing, depending on device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal