Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning buttons on old Hohners  (Read 5157 times)

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
Cleaning buttons on old Hohners
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before.

Does anyone know what I can use to clean the buttons of old pre-war Hohner clubs, Liliputs etc. when they have become stained and not just dirty, without doing any damage?

Martyn  :-\
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:41:15 AM by martyn »
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Cleaning buttons on old Hohners
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »

About five threads down from your post you could find

Clean Buttons

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »

Thanks Lester, I noticed that thread.
I was more refering to the staining that seems to affect the old Hohner buttons. It must be due to the type of material they are made from, which seems to absorb acid from the fingers and turns them a sort of yellowy brown colour.

Martyn

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:45:11 PM »

Doesn't that add character?

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »

Some plastics naturally turn yellow over time, one example is those white plastic domes found on old photographic lightmeters, or even the plastic lenses in the front of car headlamps. Oxydation, UV rays etc may cause changes in color.

Polishing the buttons with very fine abrasives may remove a thin layer of plastic and get rid of some of the yellow, but this would be a lengthy process!

Not much we can do!  As Falseknight points out, the yellow buttons add character to your box!

Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »

Doesn't that add character?

Hmm yes, :-\ I think you are probably right and it'll certainly save a lot of hard work!

Martyn

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:22 PM »

It must be due to the type of material they are made from,

They are made from a casein (milk protein) based plastic similar to Erinoid a wonder material of its time. 

If you want to make some new buttons here are instructions
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:13:17 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »

There is a ceilidh band in Oxford called "Knit your own Yoghurt"

I always thought it was a joke until I read the article on plastic milk.  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

tom f

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »

Your old Hohner buttons can be brought back almost to their original condition but it does take a bit of effort.  I've just finished refurbishing the buttons on a Club 1 and during the process I've tried most of the solvents and polishes.  Most of the buttons were badly stained with their colour their ranging from light brown to almost black and in many cases the surfaces were badly crazed.  As mentioned elswhere you need to use some form of abrasive to cut back the damaged surface and you need to keep the abrasive as light as possible to cut down on the polishing effort later.  I've used 1200 grit wet and dry or paint colour restorer (like T Cut) with some success.  More recently I've found scotchbrite pads very effective.  Once you are back to the base material you need to polish the surface to get rid of the abrasion marks and paint colour restorer seems to work well for this (it also produces excellent results on the plastic treble keyboard).  You need to be able to get good access to the buttons for this process and trying to do them in situ would be almost impossible.  As I was dismantling the mechanism anyway I was able to deal with each button in turn and in fact you may find it easiest of all if you prise the buttons off the levers (quite easy to do with a knife although the base end will need the levers removed first to get access to the bottom of the buttons).  This also allows you to turn the buttons 180 degrees when you put them back, to even up the wear.  To get a decent finish takes time to achieve and I would estimate at least one hour of vigorous polishing will be required for each button.  The reward is seeing you face in a mirror like finish on the surface off each item and this also helps to take your mind off your sore and bleeding fingers.  Good luck!

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »

Your old Hohner buttons can be brought back almost to their original condition but it does take a bit of effort.  I've just finished refurbishing the buttons on a Club 1 and during the process I've tried most of the solvents and polishes.  Most of the buttons were badly stained with their colour their ranging from light brown to almost black and in many cases the surfaces were badly crazed.  As mentioned elswhere you need to use some form of abrasive to cut back the damaged surface and you need to keep the abrasive as light as possible to cut down on the polishing effort later.  I've used 1200 grit wet and dry or paint colour restorer (like T Cut) with some success.  More recently I've found scotchbrite pads very effective.  Once you are back to the base material you need to polish the surface to get rid of the abrasion marks and paint colour restorer seems to work well for this (it also produces excellent results on the plastic treble keyboard).  You need to be able to get good access to the buttons for this process and trying to do them in situ would be almost impossible.  As I was dismantling the mechanism anyway I was able to deal with each button in turn and in fact you may find it easiest of all if you prise the buttons off the levers (quite easy to do with a knife although the base end will need the levers removed first to get access to the bottom of the buttons).  This also allows you to turn the buttons 180 degrees when you put them back, to even up the wear.  To get a decent finish takes time to achieve and I would estimate at least one hour of vigorous polishing will be required for each button.  The reward is seeing you face in a mirror like finish on the surface off each item and this also helps to take your mind off your sore and bleeding fingers.  Good luck!
Many thanks for your help.
It certainly sounds like a lot of hard work. 

waltzman

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 11:46:40 AM »

Many thanks for your help.
It certainly sounds like a lot of hard work. 

My standards for a 'decent finish' must be different.  I spent about one minute on each button of an old Hohner club using a mild abrasive cleanser (Bon Ami) and got 98% of the grime off.  They look pretty good to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal