Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching the forum  (Read 835 times)

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
Searching the forum
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »

Just add site:melodeon.net into your search terms on a standard Google search.

There are sometimes adverse comments (well deserved) about the effectiveness of the forum's "Search" facility. This tip, posted by Anahata in the "Daily Limits" thread, transforms the search process and deserves to be more widely known (I hope I'm not the only person who didn't know about it). It also allows inclusion of member names in the search. I've used it to quickly find some obscure posts of mine from years ago which the normal forum search didn't turn up.
It would be useful to have a message displayed prominently at the front of the forum saying "Don't use the forum search - use Google + site:melodeon.net"
Thanks, Anahata.

deltasalmon

Re: Searching the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:05:15 AM »

Just add site:melodeon.net into your search terms on a standard Google search.

There are sometimes adverse comments (well deserved) about the effectiveness of the forum's "Search" facility. This tip, posted by Anahata in the "Daily Limits" thread, transforms the search process and deserves to be more widely known (I hope I'm not the only person who didn't know about it). It also allows inclusion of member names in the search. I've used it to quickly find some obscure posts of mine from years ago which the normal forum search didn't turn up.
It would be useful to have a message displayed prominently at the front of the forum saying "Don't use the forum search - use Google + site:melodeon.net"
Thanks, Anahata.
I use this all the time and will second the advice. I know its not too difficult to add a Google search bar to a website but I wonder how difficult it is too add one that will search whatever is entered along with "site:melodeon.net".

Might be a good easy option for upgrading the search bar.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Searching the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »

Adding 'site:melodeon.net' to Google searches:
I didn't know about this before, so many thanks to Anahata and Bill for bringing to my attention. It really works a treat!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal