Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are you ?  (Read 12103 times)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
Where are you ?
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »

I often check where people are as it is quite relevant to what they say in a post.  For instance Boxlad got a great bargain but the carriage was more than the box !!!  From Australia to where  ???  Techniques vary from country to country, in England even from county to county.  Requests for suppliers and services could be better answered if we knew where you are.  Town, County, Country - you'll still have privacy - unless of course you are infamous in your own area !! 8)  Just county would help if you are really worried.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
Re: Where are you ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:14:45 AM »

No, no, no, we can't do that.  Somebody off the Internet might come to our house and break in while we're at a folk festival!
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

george garside

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:04:08 AM »

We've been here before!  I can see absolutely no reason  regarding 'security'  as to why  anybody has to use a pseudonym  or not disclose at least athe country and county/state they live in.  In fact by not so doing people can lose out rather than gain - it may be that  an anonymus   name of  "4th button up" or some other daft name and apparently no fixed abode lives  fairly near to some other such person and could meet up to play together or set up a session etc or at least talk to each other jovialy in the medium of the human voice rather than sending  bland telegraphic communications  via the internet.  People knowing who I am and roughly where i live has led to many interesting contacts  and has definately done no harm!

Anonimity and being a friendly grooup of individuals is somehow a contradiction.

a not repentant george :(
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Spimbly

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »

Oxford.

*goes back to lurking, gibbering manically*

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »

We've been here before!  I can see absolutely no reason  regarding 'security'  as to why  anybody has to use a pseudonym  or not disclose at least athe country and county/state they live in.  In fact by not so doing people can lose out rather than gain - it may be that  an anonymus   name of  "4th button up" or some other daft name and apparently no fixed abode lives  fairly near to some other such person and could meet up to play together or set up a session etc or at least talk to each other jovialy in the medium of the human voice rather than sending  bland telegraphic communications  via the internet.  People knowing who I am and roughly where i live has led to many interesting contacts  and has definately done no harm!

Anonimity and being a friendly grooup of individuals is somehow a contradiction.

Okay, it is time to come clean, George Garside, Theo, Pip, Ebor Fiddler, Lin Erica, Squeezy and I am all the same person.
Our home is Broadmoor.
Please write to us as it is lonely.
George,
Theo,
Pip,
Pete,
Lin,
Jon and
Old Bill.
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »

Okay, it is time to come clean, George Garside, Theo, Pip, Ebor Fiddler, Lin Erica, Squeezy and I am all the same person.
Our home is Broadmoor.
George,
Theo,
Pip,
Pete,
Lin,
Jon and
Old Bill.

Glad I am not part of the Broadmoor Massive  :-)

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:51:29 PM »

Quote from: Lester

Yet...

Happily, although I can hear the Broadmoor siren from work, I am still free to roam with my melodeon :D

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:19 PM »

Our home is Broadmoor.
George,
Theo,
Pip,
Pete,
Lin,
Jon and
Old Bill.

I like it in here!  :P
Faversham, Kent

Matthew B

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »

. . . talk to each other jovialy in the medium of the human voice rather than sending  bland telegraphic communications  via the internet.

George,
Your posts could be described in many ways, but "bland telegraphic communication" does not really capture the Garside spirit.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:23:49 PM »

mmmmm, which one is you george....

http://surname.sofeminine.co.uk/w/surnames/surname-garside.html

:P where was that again?
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

TomB-R

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »

My actual registered id here is TomGlos which should give some clues to anyone in England who is aware of the three-regioned county that links the Severn to the Thames!

As to TomB-R, anyone who knows me in the real world should have no difficulty!

Cheers all
Tom

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »

I have no problem with stating where I live , so I have updated my signature.
However , my name is (un)fortunately unique in the world of Google but can be found in the email address
on my profile .
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »

I quite like the idea of the signature. Being someone of somewhere makes me feel quite aristocratic.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »

Oxford.

*goes back to lurking, gibbering manically*
Why not update your profile to say so?

I have no problem with stating where I live , so I have updated my signature.
However , my name is (un)fortunately unique in the world of Google but can be found in the email address
on my profile .
Your email address is hidden in your profile (which is OK, of course).

I, too, would like to see at least a country listed for each member. Could that not be made a requirement of signing up?

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:52:20 PM »

I would like it placed on record that I am not Lin Erica - firstly she looks better that me and secondly she plays better too! I believe that I am of the male persuasion, as she borrowed me from my wife once at Whitby to dance with (I was replaced properly when finished with). I am also a different shape from George (and he plays better than me as well  .....), AND Pete of Ebor (and he plays better than me as well  .....).

Love from the other side of Broadmoor,
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 06:21:02 AM »

I would like it placed on record that I am not Lin Erica - firstly she looks better that me and secondly she plays better too! I believe that I am of the male persuasion, as she borrowed me from my wife once at Whitby to dance with (I was replaced properly when finished with). I am also a different shape from George (and he plays better than me as well  .....), AND Pete of Ebor (and he plays better than me as well  .....).

Love from the other side of Broadmoor,
The more numerate amongst you, will notice that there are seven signees, the same quantity as days of the week.
Now have you noticed that Theo only accepts Newcastle Appointments on Monday? Yup, multiple personality disorder.
Fiddler's confusion is easily explained as he, well us or me in truth, has to undergo a sex change operation on Wednesday and Thursday, very confusing, in fact he sometimes signs himself 'Cliff Richards, Bt.,'
Us.

My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

Tyker

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »

Your email address is hidden in your profile (which is OK, of course).

Oversight !

Tyker

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

I, too, would like to see at least a country listed for each member. Could that not be made a requirement of signing up?

Wasn't there a flag of the country for each member shown in the old forum?

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »

How do I get the Yorkshire National Flag like Tyker?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »

Right click the image and save to your computer...
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal