Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you learn by ear or off sheet music  (Read 12406 times)

caddy

Do you learn by ear or off sheet music
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »

How does everyone learn the tunes they play. Do you learn by ear or off sheet music?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Do you learn by ear or off sheet music
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »

Both of those and from ABC as well.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »

Both of those and from ABC as well.

Wot Lester said.  ABC offers a bit of the best of both worlds.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »

Both.  Never got the hang of ABC.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

Ear.

SolGatos

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »

I learn by ear, I never learned to read music. I've recently discovered some really helpful, slowed down, note by note, shows you how, youtube videos. These have helped me considerably in working out more complicated fingering. My interest is in cajun, tex-mex, blues and soul.
 Cheers Sol.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »

The tadpoles are a my6stery to me, unfortunately. However, having reached 71, I have decided that life is too short to start learning them now.
Shame though, I'm sure it would have helped if I had been taught it at school, where they me taught Tonic Sol Fa, which I have forgotten now.

John  :|bl
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »

By ear only... I use a slowdowner software and learn from recordings of others.
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

StupidFingers

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »

Dots.  I haven't gotten to the point where I can hear a note and know which button to press!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »

Dots.  I haven't gotten to the point where I can hear a note and know which button to press!

Interesting point, not sure I can do single note to button correlation but give me a short phrase of music, and I have little or no problem. I guess I have a stock of phrases which appear in many tunes and it's just a matter of sticking the right ones together.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »

I'm with the dots. However, by ear is progressing, slowly.

I surprised myself by playing nearly all the A of Black Joke straight off once I'd played the first two bars from the dots, mostly accurately. Then did it with the B.

I have done similar with short pieces of other tunes, only to subsequently discover that the version that I was happily playing differed by a few notes from the dots I was ostensibly following.

However other tunes - even Lollipop Man, which I know well - just do not gel.

What I can't do is hit named notes. If someone says play an A, I have to think - where's an A? Similarly, when looking at a score, I have to stop and think if I need to name anything much other than low G, D or E.
I guess my brain just works graphically on positions on scale/relative positions.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

I suppose I should add that originally learnt straight from ABC, still do to some extent. But, probably for reasons noted above, it's a much slower process.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »

This started happening on the odd note during the latter part of the summer, I think the first sign was when I started playing phrases on the 'wrong' row (not the one I had learned to play them on) without meaning to.  Then I learnt 'Bob and Joan/Bobbing Joe' by ear after morris practice a couple of weeks ago, then last week looked at the first two bars of 'Orange in Bloom', looked at the TV and absent-mindedly played the tune straight through. 

Clearly some connections are being made between ear and finger and I am really encouraged by this  (:)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »

What I can't do is hit named notes. If someone says play an A, I have to think - where's an A?

I know that feeling too I'm trying to improve on this 'cos I hate having to think in terms of fifth button pull, fourth button push etc when all I need to do is remember the names of the flipping notes.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »

all I need to do is remember the names of the flipping notes.

(:)   (:)   (:)

deltasalmon

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »

I do both. I can read ABC but have been reading sheet music for 20 years so it's much easier for me to convert it and read the dots instead of trying to read the ABC.

I am trying more and more to play by ear. I also use slowing down software or even better just sitting down with someone who can play the tune you want and have them break it down for you.

I definitely can't hear a note and know which button to push (perfect pitch?) but I'll take a stab and guess and can then get to the right note after 2 or 3 tries. My relative pitch is getting better. I still can't hear two notes and be able to tell the interval but my fingers are getting better and better at guessing which note to hit if that makes sense. I guess my brain doesn't have relative pitch but my fingers sort of do.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

David J

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »

I know some people can 'read' ABC code but for me its real benefit is to provide a bridge between my (fairly good) musical ear and (pretty poor) sight reading of the dots. So when I come across a new tune I want to learn the process is to first find the right version on abcnotation.com or wherever. I select which version seems closest to what I remember, dump it into my abc editor, and then listen to the tune being played back and make any changes as necessary to arrive at the remembered version (not always right of course  :-X).

So this process not only reinforces the tune in my head, but also I've found that it has facilitated my sight reading of the dots. The next step is to work out the chords I want to put with the tune, add them to the abc, listen back and play around with various options until I'm happy. Save the file - and move on to the next tune!!
Luukinen Elene III, Baffetti Binci, and an increasing number of Hohners

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »

I learned to read music at school (my first instrument was the cello, and I played piano too).
Over the last 20 years or so I've been learning to pick up tunes by ear. I can play something back that I've just heard, and follow a tune in a session, but it still take a long time for a tune to stick, and if I want to learn it I usually need to get the dots so I can practice at home, because I'm not going to remember it reliably otherwise.

In an emergency I can just about identify a tune by reading the ABC, but ABC was never intended for reading that way, only as a really quick and simple source code for creating staff notation for printing. I can read dots fluently, to the extent that when I'm inputting ABC on my computer I only have to convert to staff notation on the screen and look at it to check I've got it right.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »

In an emergency I can just about identify a tune by reading the ABC, but ABC was never intended for reading that way, only as a really quick and simple source code for creating staff notation for printing.

Indeed, I assumed that when referring to ABC in this thread we meant ABC pasted into a converter programme such as ABC Navigator so that the dots can be viewed and the tune played simultaneously.  That for me is the magic of ABC, you can share these tiny text files with players of a variety of instruments who can then choose to learn by ear, by reading the dots or a combination of both.

Although I am starting to 'read' unconverted ABC as a sort of by-product of learning to transcribe tunes I wouldn't want to learn tunes this way routinely.  Do people really really learn tunes this way?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »

What I can't do is hit named notes. If someone says play an A, I have to think - where's an A?

And yet you also say:

I suppose I should add that originally learnt straight from ABC, still do to some extent. But, probably for reasons noted above, it's a much slower process.

Which seems to imply that if you read an A in abc then you can find the note. Could you elaborate please?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal