Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Find Tunes  (Read 49653 times)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Re: How To Find Tunes
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »

This is proving frustratingly difficult.

I know exactly how you feel (if that's any consolation)

The abc tunesearch results depend on how you enter your abc search. Typing FG A2A2F2|GA found nothing useful but FG A2 A2 F2|GA found 104 hits, including Buttered Peas.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »

I first used the Gore/Breathnach Theme Code Index methods for sorting traditional tunes whilst building the FARNE archive. I was greatly impressed by the effectiveness of the printed collection We tested the book working with students from the Traditional Music degree course. As a system for cataloguing 18thC and 19thC Scottish melodies the system is flawless. The failing is that the method requires massive input to widen it's effectiveness. The efforts made by John Chambers to extract Gore/Breathnach codes form abc are laudable, but need much more work to be effective.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »

The abc tunesearch results depend on how you enter your abc search. Typing FG A2A2F2|GA found nothing useful but FG A2 A2 F2|GA found 104 hits, including Buttered Peas.

That's useful to know. Thanks, Ian.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2018, 01:13:31 PM »

Currently, and for the last few years, the Village Music Project files on the main site are out of date due to technical issues. Anahata is moving the site to a new home in the New Year and then it will be up to speed again hopefully. It will have the same url. In the meantime all the revised files and new files, and some that are not VMP files, can be found on my webpage http://www.cpartington.plus.com/Links/ChrisPartingtonsLinksPage.html

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »

It's on its new hosting already, and has been since October 27th. Same URL, same out of date files moved unchanged from the old site.

Getting the files updated is down to John Adams. I'm willing to help, but I don't know what needs doing. I can make you a site admin, if you like...

(Edit: greengrocer's apostrophe  :|bl )
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:03:38 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »

Should we add the Playford Omnibus dots/ABC's here?  Great resource, I think via Pete?

All available here:D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Gromit

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »

Learn them by ear from recordings, youtube etc. works for me.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »

New resource added for Vitrifolk, manuscript notation for tune of many nations

http://www.vitrifolk.fr/partitions/partitions.html

Thanks to Julian S

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »

That's useful to know. Thanks, Ian.
I was just looking at LB's latest post when I spotted this post a little earlier 'up the thread'. Out of curiosity, I tried the same search (I
got 111 hits).  I then tried it with FG A2 A2 F2 | GA, which is presumably just as valid a search pattern? I got 34,205 hits, which
seems a little excessive. I'm tempted to wonder if any of these tune search programs work 'properly'? I truly can't remember ever
having had an unambiguous hit, whichever one I have tried. Just wondering  :-\...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 09:59:48 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Nigel.H

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2021, 04:32:12 PM »

In response to identifying ( as if I needed to! ) my grave inadequacies at last weeks Loose Knit Experience at Sidmouth, ie. lot's of defeated shrugging & Box hugging at tunes i had never heard, I have discovered this "resource" - and long may it stay 'up'.

Having, in lock down, learnt to (a) read music and (b) work out which note is on which button and (c) nearly work out whether to pull or push to generate (b), as a still mainly 'by ear' learner, reinforced with some "dots", this site has a wealth of the "standard" session tunes in one place supported by the 'tune' & the basses.

https://dottes.cryhavoc.org.uk/Session/

If you click on the 'L' plate you get a 'play along' option at varying speeds for the 'melody'.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:35:41 PM by Nigel.H »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2021, 04:55:57 PM »

As a starter pack for budding English  session players that selection looks pretty good. Not far off my early days.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2021, 05:08:26 PM »

Nick Barber has produced some good tune books and accompanying cd's to help you to understand the dots and listen to the tunes bring played.
They are a good selection of tunes you'd expect in such situations as the Loose Knit sessions.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal