Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Totally defeated  (Read 8351 times)

911377brian

Totally defeated
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »

I have tried, dear God I have tried to learn the Trumpet Hornpipe. I've crept up on it after playing something I know, I've hit it as soon as the Albrecht comes out of the box, I've noodled quietly away and crept into it, I have practised until my wife weeps softly into a cushion, and never once have I managed to play it through without a gigantic cock up. I put my hands up, admit defeat, surrender. My wife has just reminded me that I did , once play it at the speed of the funeral march, once. Please tell me I'm not the only one to get totally stuffed by a tune... :||: :||: :||: :Ph :'(

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Totally defeated
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »

I'm with "No good'll come from this" Jonah on this tune too. You work it out, practice that chromatic bit, it turns up months later in a session and …  it's all gone. I think basically you have to like it.

source: http://youtu.be/fwzVjsu9XvM
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:02:17 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »

Some tunes are just very tricky because they contain elements that are technically challenging on a particular instrument or group of instruments. I've seen quite a few players on this forum who have machine gun triplets down pat and until I get around to putting in enough time and effort into practising that particular element to the point where it is a reflex action I wouldn't go near the Trumpet Hornpipe!

Other tunes like Stoney Steps, Sir Sidney Smith's March, The Tipp Staff and Random have a high level of technical difficulty and in the world of playing music for pleasure I would consider them to be pieces for advanced players.

If you were really determined and loved the piece to bits you would get there in the end but you have to want it badly!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

YorkieKen

• YorkieKen
  • Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »

It has a very high "cringe factor" at sessions round here, and like Rees I wouldn't touch it with anything, never mind a bargepole  >:(

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »

I do not know about every one else but this is one of the most requested tunes I am asked to play ie [can you play captain pugwash mate] now on the 2 row B/C I can play the melody only ,but on the B/C/C # it is much easier as the base lines with stradella realy fill it in,but I have to admit that to learn to play this one you will have to practice hard as there is a lot of tapping and acrobatics involved and remember ,if you cock up every one will know because every one knows this tune.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »

Glad not to be alone in never quite taking to this one; aged 10 or so, I recall wondering why I was watching Pugwash too.

Melodeon wise it consumes air, due to a long stay on G and D arpeggios, and the chromatic run is awkward, but somehow not worth all the effort? But it did start as a free reed tune. For TV Wiki has it played by Tom Edmundson (PA?) with original from English BCC# non hero ;) Jimmie Shand. The first episode was all done live!  To me it'll always be Pugwash. Other instruments seem to like it more than ours? In sessions I confess that I just chord along.
  _       _    _      _ 

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »

It's an incredibly hard tune to play on the melodeon.  And to my mind - the achievement of having perfected it technically was a massive disappointment ... because it still sounded like Captain Pugwash ... there isn't any space for playing with the tune or chords much as it's already so structured.

Added to that - the fact that you're trying it out on a new one-row box ... makes it all the harder.

I wouldn't be too disappointed ... you can always revisit it at a later date if you're really determined!

Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »

I'm with Squeezy on this one. I wouldn't dream of tackling it on my box - for me it's a fiddle-only tune. Good fun though!  :Ph
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

911377brian

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »

Thanks all of you, can't tell you how much better I feel.... back in the box Pugwash! :Ph

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »

Years ago John Kirkpatrick presented a radio program called Squeezing Round the World. In one of the programs he played a recording of this tune and claimed it was known as "L'Anglais" in France. This recording didn't have the chromatic bit in the B part. So when I was asked to play this for my clog group that's the version I used. Straight up and down one row and try not to run out of air on the A part. Just don't play it with anyone who can do the chromatic bit!

Cheating? Absolutely.

If it makes you feel any better I spent years trying to get the better of "It Never Rains". Martin Ellison has a lot to answer for.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »

It has a very high "cringe factor" at sessions round here, and like Rees I wouldn't touch it with anything, never mind a bargepole  >:(

Bloody tough Ken! It's a cracking tune that deserves to be played ! Btw I noticed you joined in last time I led it........  ;);D:||:   >:E
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »

It's an incredibly hard tune to play on the melodeon.  And to my mind - the achievement of having perfected it technically was a massive disappointment ... because it still sounded like Captain Pugwash ... there isn't any space for playing with the tune or chords much as it's already so structured.

Added to that - the fact that you're trying it out on a new one-row box ... makes it all the harder.

I wouldn't be too disappointed ... you can always revisit it at a later date if you're really determined!

It Must be me, I've never found it to be a challenge.  I'll fetch me coat.......
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 08:12:48 PM »

I'm with Squeezy on this one. I wouldn't dream of tackling it on my box - for me it's a fiddle-only tune. Good fun though!  :Ph

Rubbish !!!! It's a perfectly suited tune for melodeon!! Plus non folkys recognise it and love it, hence it should be in everybody's repertoire  (:);)>:E:||:   :|||:

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »

Tony Hall does a version on his first album "Fieldvole Music". He doesn't play the chromatic bit (but he does do a lot of other Tony tricks  ;) )
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »

;)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »

Hello Pikey, we'd missed you. No longer  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »

Lol ! Btw Brian, I'd be very happy to help you learn how to play the tue. Despite what's said on this thread, it is much easier than stuff like Sir Sydney Smiths - we'd just need to find where your block is. Pm me.  Plus watch my YouTube version.

Cheers

Pikey.

911377brian

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »

You, Pikey are a true star in the melnet firmament. I'll dig out your YouTube version when I get back from a little jaunt I have planned and also PM you. You owe me anyway for giving me a near fatal earworm last week.. ;)

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »

So it's Cpt. Puggy for November TOTM. Whoopee!!!  :||:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal