Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: singing and Playing  (Read 8672 times)

Karl Stevens

Re: singing and Playing
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 07:23:44 AM »

[So that's my tip...learn chords, then sing to them, get comfortable with that then start breaking up the chords along the way.  Chords help big time!
AL

Yep.  I'm with you all the way on that one.  I'd also sung with guitar for many years on taking up the box and I was determined to learn to sing with the box early on.  I didn't have a lot of finesse but by learning a few chords and finding a singable song that fitted with 3 or 4 of them I was able to get started.  Initially just playing long chords (in the right and / or left hand) under the song, and moving on to breaking up the chords and experimenting with rhythm.  From there it's just been about finding songs I like enough to put the effort into and then working on them around a mixture of the tune and the chord structure.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 11:55:16 PM »

Faux pas - just read the emotes thread - have used wrong gender thinking the bald one was old !
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

Just a reference to Al's point about Hymnals.  Why do I find it agony at weddings and funerals to get their keys as played on organs but at our local pub carols in South Yorkshire we get the keys superbly? Particularly when there is no organ or piano accompaniment

Did the church push out the old village bands and their keys and promote choristers?

I'm still looking for the dream melodeon for singing.  My old Bb/Eb Hohner Erika is best followed by a Club Modell Hohner C/F
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:17:52 PM by mikesamwild »
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

george garside

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 02:27:47 PM »

[
I'm still looking for the dream melodeon for singing.  My old Bb/Eb Hohner Erika is best followed by a Club Modell Hohner C/F
[/quote]

there is only one melodeon that will cover all keys  on both left & right ends  - the only thing it won't do is provide infinately variable keys for those who prefer Bflat and five eights or seven sixteenths!.  Oh for a melodeon crapo like what guitar players use!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »

Mike - you have hit the nail, if not on the head, then certainly somewhere the left shoulderblade! What we generally have now in most church hymnbooks is the choir settings suitable for treble, alto, tenor and bass and as the tune is always in the treble part, it is far too high for the average adult male.  :Ph :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 11:36:14 PM »

Faux pas - just read the emotes thread - have used wrong gender thinking the bald one was old !

I had noticed your switch...

...but I think the interpretation above is rather a good one! LOL

HallelujahAl

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »

Why do I find it agony at weddings and funerals to get their keys as played on organs but at our local pub carols in South Yorkshire we get the keys superbly? Particularly when there is no organ or piano accompaniment

Did the church push out the old village bands and their keys and promote choristers?

I'm still looking for the dream melodeon for singing.  My old Bb/Eb Hohner Erika is best followed by a Club Modell Hohner C/F

Don't know the answer to this one Mike - however in the good old SA the vast majority of our songs are in Eb & Bb - eminently singable. The reason being, I believe, our early depedency upon brass bands - the majority on instruments being in Bb & Eb. Which is why I've purchased my 'El Rey de vallenato' in F/Bb/Eb -which enables me to play along with my little brass band as well as providing song accomp in reasonable keys. Sometimes Ab sneaks in but if playing on my own I drop it down a semitone and play it in G on my D/G box.
 ;D

mikesamwild

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »

Can men and women sing easily in those keys then?  I like them both. I have the melodeon but sadly not the Anglo concertina yet!
Mike in Sheffield

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »

Don't know the answer to this one Mike - however in the good old SA the vast majority of our songs are in Eb & Bb - eminently singable.

1. Eb is an absolute bugger if you are a baritone
2. You only have have to play in these keys if there are 
    other musicians in tow.  eg 'F' or 'D' are abdolutely OK
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »

]

. Which is why I've purchased my 'El Rey de vallenato' in F/Bb/Eb -which enables me to play along with my little brass band as well as providing song accomp in reasonable keys. Sometimes Ab sneaks in but if playing on my own I drop it down a semitone and play it in G on my D/G box.
 ;D
[/quote]

I thought you already had a box that is a doddle to play in Aflat Eflat Bflat & F!

george :D

HallelujahAl

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »

doddle to play in Aflat Eflat Bflat & F!

Aye! Though the F/Bb/Eb takes all the brainwork out of the process!
 ;D

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 09:50:11 AM »

I thought you already had a box that is a doddle to play in Aflat Eflat Bflat & F!
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 10:11:47 AM »

Hi Chris - I'm really only talking about a one row in C with 2 rows of accidentals  ( all in the right place) which make playing in all keys a lot  easier & logical than  on  a DG with assorted accidentals on one row.

I use the BCC# when the need to accompany singrs in odd keys or  fit in with other instruments is required & also play it  a great deal just for my own pleasure.  On the other hand I now use a simple DG (3voice serenellini salterello) for ceilidh band work as it gives maximum bounce per kilo & enables  driving the rhythm on the bass which a BC would't .  It therefore  enables me to play all night without angina kicking  off ( and no - she doesn't play in the band!)

george

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 06:09:13 PM »

Tend to agree  that a half tone might be the best box choice for singing.  IME the left hand is much less important in this deployment and I do most phrasing using right hand chords - where you have more control (eg breaking the chords).

I'd tried singing to my Oakwood for several years. Only rarely were its base keys of D or G particularly comfortable (barotones cannot hit a top D withour surgery). I used these only when a song had quite limited range of notes or somehow fell onto the chords. 
  _       _    _      _ 

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 02:23:37 PM »

Operatic baritones have top "G"s scored regularly (that's the one above the stave).  A decent tenor should be able to sing effortlessly the "C" above that.

mikesamwild

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 02:21:33 PM »

Ah the 'Cruel C' !
Mike in Sheffield

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »

Operatic baritones have top "G"s scored regularly (that's the one above the stave).  A decent tenor should be able to sing effortlessly the "C" above that.

What?! The G above the stave? Blimey :P I can barely reach above middle C.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal