Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a clean bass line  (Read 1366 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Playing a clean bass line
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »

We've had a few threads about this. I came across this video on the present ToTM, nice Estonian tune, then I noticed just how clean the (playing in D) bass end was, and also well shown on the video.

http://youtu.be/-gu9oD1BcN8

There are lots of ways of doing bass, but I think this a particularly good example of "what to aim for" for anyone starting on the instrument, and probably of use to most of us. Thanks to Anahata for his Youtube (:)

I'm not out to start a debate, but if anyone has examples of videos showing eg a particularly clean Em or G bass approach, please offer them in.
  _       _    _      _ 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Playing a clean bass line
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

Pretty straightforward oom-pah bass, if you ask me. The only point it perhaps demonstrates is how you can introduce "less is more" variety by the simple expedient of leaving the basses out here and there. Actually I'm mostly doing that on the triplets because I play the triplets across the rows and I almost invariably messed them up if I tried to play the basses with them. So it's making a virtue out of necessity.  :|bl

I suppose there might be something to learn from that.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »

dunno, some variation in there? None of your clever bass runs either, that's not the point. Those would make it actually less useful as an exemplar

It is clean, separated, rhythmic, and as you say, straightforward.  Hence a reference from this section. More importantly, what you did showed rather nicely on the video. Hope it'll get a 'useful' from someone trying to master the left end in due course …  |glug
  _       _    _      _ 

bellmartin

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »

For me, Anahata is a great bass-line player and sets a fabulous example. The melodeon's ability to accompany the melody - that is, to play chords and bass lines while driving the tempo - is one of the real delights of the instrument. He does it so well, and I'm always inspired by watching his videos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal