Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayor of Casterbridge marching tune  (Read 3580 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Mayor of Casterbridge marching tune
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »

My wife and I are looking for the name of a tune used in ITV's 2003 mini-series 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' based on the novel by Thomas Hardy. The tune comes in episode 2 of the two-part series. There is a Youtube version of the episode here and the tune itself starts at 0:56':35" into the recording. It is played several times by the town band marching through the street at the mayor's parade. It's a great tune and would go very nicely on melodeons.

I don't know whether or not it is a traditional/old tune, or one written, or possibly adapted, by Adrian Johnston who composed the incidental music for the series (he is a prolific television music composer).

I've made an ABC transcription of the basic tune (there are a couple of minor rhythmic variants which I have ignored for now). I've also attached a PDF of my transcriptions.  The tune as played is in the key of F, but I've given a transposed version in G as well. Any help in identifying the tune would be greatly appreciated. NB - I've tried many of the usual resources/search options but so far no results :(. It's possible that the tune may come from one or other of the Thomas Hardy manuscripts, but that's only a guess and I don't have access to any copies to check.

Here's hoping the wonderful collective melnet wisdom can please assist me...

X:1
T: Mayor of Casterbridge Tune
C:Unknown/Adrian Johnston?
S:Mayor of Casterbridge TV Movie 2003
M:4/4
Q:1/4=120
K:F
C | C2 C2 F2 F2 | GABc A2 GA | B2 D2 E2 F2 | G3 F F3 :|
G | G2EF G3 A | GFEF G3 A | GFEF G3 A | D3 D C4 |
c2 cB A2 GF | GABc A2 GA | B2 D2 E2 F2 | G3 F F3 |]

X:2
T: Mayor of Casterbridge Tune
T:Transposed version
C:Unknown/Adrian Johnston?
S:Mayor of Casterbridge TV Movie 2003
M:4/4
Q:1/4=120
K:G %Transposed from F
D | D2 D2 G2 G2 | ABcd B2 AB | c2 E2 F2 G2 | A3 G G3 :|
A | A2FG A3 B | AGFG A3 B | AGFG A3 B | E3 E D4 |
d2 dc B2 AG | ABcd B2 AB | c2 E2 F2 G2 | A3 G G3 |]
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Mayor of Casterbridge marching tune
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »

When the King Enjoys His Own Again

Thank you Lester!
This forum is amazing  (:)  (:)  (:)

Of course, now I know the name of the tune, I have found it in my copy of 'Hardcore English'. I didn't look closely enough first time round  :|bl
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »

Gosh, what a sweet little tune :P Casting my mind back, Ive certainly heard it as a song, possibly when Civil War re-enacting. That last line resonates.

As for finding it in HCE when you didn't know what title you were looking for? :o Better man than me, Steve, though melnet is a truly wonderful network, albeit running unusually slowly today at 6 minutes ;) … Lester to the Resc'er yet again!

_       _    _      _ 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »

Also known (with slightly different 1st time end bar to the each half) as The World Turned Upside Down
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

911377brian

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »

Someone play it please, preferably on a one row...Anahata? Pikey? Please...... (:)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »

Pedant Alert!!

"The World Turned Upside Down" along with "Yankee Doodle" was played by the rebels at the time of the Surrender of the British Army at the end of the American Revolution.

Chris B.  :-*
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »

"The World Turned Upside Down" along with "Yankee Doodle" was played by the rebels at the time of the Surrender of the British Army at the end of the American Revolution.

Check out pedant-in-spades:  http://www.colonialmusic.org/Resource/Schrader.htm

More than we needed to know, perhaps, but fun to read.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »

Someone play it please, preferably on a one row...Anahata? Pikey? Please...... (:)
Rough and ready, single take, recording here, played on a Hohner Club I C/F melodeon. (Sorry Brian, it's not on a one-row  :-[ )
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

911377brian

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »

Thanks Steve, and exactly the right speed for me to absorb the tune. Wish I could do right hand chords like that....

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
RH chords (was Re: Mayor of Casterbridge marching tune)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »

Thanks Steve, and exactly the right speed for me to absorb the tune. Wish I could do right hand chords like that....
Thanks Brian!

Regarding RH chords, I tend to do a mixture of (a) playing the melody with my 1st to 3rd fingers and using my little finger to 'ghost' additional notes above the melody, or (b) playing the melody with 2nd - 4th fingers, using my 1st (and sometimes 2nd fingers) to add in notes below. The latter is especially useful when playing up at the dusty end of the keyboard.

Another useful technique is to use fingers 1 and 4 to give an octave chord and 'see-sawing' that with fingers 2 and 3 which will give the third and fifth notes of the chords - and then incorporating all 4 fingers into the melody as required. Difficult to explain in words; much easier to demonstrate.

Finally, a technique I first learned from superb one-row player Jeannie Harris, is to play much of the melody in the upper part of the keyboard using the 4th, little finger, shifting the hand around as the notes change. Whilst doing this, fingers 1, 2 and 3 are then available to play counter-melodies. This takes a bit of learning but when done properly, it can sound like two instruments playing a duet.

I tend not to think too hard about what notes I add in to make the RH chords - to paraphrase Tony Hall (an absolute master of RH chords and counter-melodies), I just 'poke around a bit' and if it sounds OK I use it.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

911377brian

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »

Thanks for that Steve ....''use finger 1 & 4 and seesaw that with fingers 2 & 3......'' Almost played that a few minutes ago but lost it as soon as I realised I was doing it.. >:( I'm going to hammer away at it 'till I get it onboard. Your steady playing make this march the ideal platform for learning right hand chords.. :||: (:)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 04:58:32 AM »

This tune is presently in use as theme for Peter Day's 2 part review of economic change over the past 25 years - Global Business, BBC World Service, "World turned upside down" 4'20" and at the end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jns0b
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »

This tune is presently in use as theme for Peter Day's 2 part review of economic change over the past 25 years - Global Business, BBC World Service, "World turned upside down" 4'20" and at the end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jns0b
Thanks Chris. I immediately recognised the performance and tracked it down straightaway to a CD which someone gave me years ago: 'Hang Up Sorrow and Care' performed by Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band. The World Turned Upside Down is track no. 3 on the CD.

So I had this tune all along, but initially failed to remember where it came from!  :|bl
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »

Rough and ready, single take, recording here, played on a Hohner Club I C/F melodeon. (Sorry Brian, it's not on a one-row  :-[ )
Lovely Steve!  Beautiful tone.  Any reason for choosing a Club?
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 08:03:50 AM »

Lovely Steve!  Beautiful tone.  Any reason for choosing a Club?
Thanks, Les!
My wife and I just love the mellow sound of C/F instruments and we often play them in preference to D/G. This particular instrument was being sold by Rees at Witney last year and I just fell in love with it. It has been refurbished with Cagnoni reeds on the RH side, which suit the instrument very well indeed and it still sounds just like a vintage Hohner ought to. On the LH side are original Hohner reeds.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal