Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open 5th Tuning  (Read 3915 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Open 5th Tuning
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »

The next question has to be in respect of recent experiments made by some prominent Irish players using only thirds in the left hand. Are these all voiced  with the root at the bottom and the third at the top, or are sixth inversions used as well?

Sometimes a new question merits a new thread, Mike?  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »

The next question has to be in respect of recent experiments made by some prominent Irish players using only thirds in the left hand. Are these all voiced  with the root at the bottom and the third at the top, or are sixth inversions used as well?

Sometimes a new question merits a new thread, Mike?  ;)

There are more questions than answers
And the more I find out the less I know
 :D
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

It's just another thing to think about. But I think that there is a problem with always having I+V chords, in that it doesn't sound "natural."
Yes, the classic music theory class admonition about no parallel fifths -- which makes sense in tonal harmony.
The next question has to be in respect of recent experiments made by some prominent Irish players using only thirds in the left hand.
Hadn't heard of this  :o  ! 

Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

LDbosca

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »

It's just another thing to think about. But I think that there is a problem with always having I+V chords, in that it doesn't sound "natural."
Yes, the classic music theory class admonition about no parallel fifths -- which makes sense in tonal harmony.
The next question has to be in respect of recent experiments made by some prominent Irish players using only thirds in the left hand.
Hadn't heard of this  :o  !

Colm Gannon and Martin Quinn have something quite like this. I do too, but I'm not covered by the bracket "prominent Irish players"!

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »

I'm not covered by the bracket "prominent Irish players"!

Such modesty  ::)

With your set up are all left hand thirds voiced  with the root at the bottom and the third at the top, or are sixth inversions used as well?
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal