Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whiskey and Women  (Read 3731 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Whiskey and Women
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »

Excellent stuff. I'm intrigued by the 2-row box for Cajun-style, though; it sounds like a 4-voice but surely can't be at that size? And I guess it's tuned to just temperament, too....

Anyone else remember The Boothill Foot-Tappers? Reminds me of their onstage energy (they were sadly disappointing in recordings, though - you had to be there!).

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »

Personally, I'm more concerned that they were busking in Edinburgh for money to buy Jameson Irish whisky...  ;D

deltasalmon

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »

The song in the demo video on the website is good. Reminds me of Boozoo.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »

It is a two voice, but it is really altered a lot on the left. The left side is set up with single notes (paired octaves), no chords. Notes are the same push and pull.  Set up is such that you can play basses and chords in a pattern that suits the D/D# tuning of the box.
 We are currently working on a production model with 12 bass, but with a slightly larger body.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:51:16 PM by Kimric Smythe »
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

It is a two voice,

Is it really? It sounds very "meaty" in that case; LM, I guess?  Is it tuned to equal temperament or just temperament?

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:32 PM »

I have worked on it at least half a dozen times, and by this time many of the reeds it has are 1950's Italian hand made ones that I used to replace broken ones. Renee has gotten pretty good and does a lot of the repair work herself now days, but as I recall it is a MM tuned box with about 5-6 cent vibrato. It could be a LMM but I would not swear to it, as I have not worked on it in at least a year.
 The bass is sometimes used as an extension of the keyboard, so it may account for the apparent lower tone.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal