Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thumbstrap  (Read 2537 times)

hubert

• Good talker
thumbstrap
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »

Could someone explain how to remove a thumb strap, I have a compardre, there seems to be a removable panel under the keyboard,….Hubert

mory

Re: thumbstrap
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 12:15:15 PM »

Hi Hubert from my experience, Hohner thumb straps are usually riveted on, so removal involves the drilling off of the folded end of the rivet (the side with the little dish in it with a ridge round the edge), it is quite a simple job but great care should be taken, correct drill selection and a slow speed with a steady hand will help matters, you could also take precautions to protect the surrounding area of the box. The idea is to just drill enough so that the head of the rivet separates rather than drilling right through. If your handy it should present no problem, but if in doubt you might find some one who can. The only real problem that may occur is that the rivet just spins, but a little Gaf tape on the back and positioning on a flat surface before drilling should solve this, as you apply pressure to the drill it should hold the rivet still. good luck All the Best mory

sorry, removal of the finger board back plate will allow you to access the folded side of the rivet.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »

Theo said this on a previous thread and it's what I do too:

It is fairly easy to remove the old rivets, but take the keyboard off first.  Then cut away the remains of the straps so the rivets are left sticking out.  Clamp the projecting ends of both rivets in the vice and then use a drill of a larger size than the rivet shank to drill off the inside end of the rivets.  The remains should then pull out.

mory

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »

That's what those marks are  ;)

only joking Lester each to their own. AtB mory
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:27:35 PM by mory »

hubert

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:50:09 PM »

thanks for the  advice....Hubert.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »

so "melnet" to have a thread of this title "moved"
 ;) though I wouldn't have it any other way …
  _       _    _      _ 

Johnnie Johnston

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »

Hohner 114  I have a couple and the thumb strap is stretched to point I put thin nylon tie to snug it up..

What I would like to know is what size rivets do I get to do the job.. 1/8 and 3/16 seem to be the only sizes.. I wish to get them before I take out the old rivets and straps.

Tnx JJ
Blues Player Do Not Retire
They Just Drop !!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »

Just measured the holes in a Hohner two row plastic keyboard and a wood one row  the holes are 4.5mm, which is just under 3/16”
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Johnnie Johnston

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »

Hi Theo

So bit smaller than 3/16   hm.. Do you enlarge the hole the river goes thru? Or use a 1/8th rivet?

tnx
JJ
They Just Drop !!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »

I would use a 3/16” rivet and carefully enlarge the hole if necessary.  A rivet that is nominally 3/16” might be a little less.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 07:34:16 AM »

When I remove the thumb strap rivet on plastic Hohner keyboards, I remove the keyboard before drilling out the rivet. I then ream the hole slightly under the diameter of the internally threaded, sleeved insert which I install from the inside of the prepared keyboard. I chill the insert before installing to slightly decrease the outside diameter of the insert prior to installation. A bonding agent is also used to anchor the flanged insert. I use a truss head screw to install the thumb strap after the repaired keyboard is reattached. The screw and insert I use are made of brass. I usually punch more than one set of holes in the thumbstrap which allows for more sizing options. I use a better grade of leather than the original and skive the edges of the strap to decrease the edge thickness against the player's thumb.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:38:20 AM by Psuggmog Volbenz »
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »

Now there's a quality job! A pity that Mr Hohner couldn't have done something similar in the first place, and saved his customer base many hours of eventual remedial work.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Johnnie Johnston

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 07:48:08 PM »

I would use a 3/16” rivet and carefully enlarge the hole if necessary.  A rivet that is nominally 3/16” might be a little less.

Hi Theo

Well I got it done.. Rather than use rivets I used Chicago Screws.. Similar to rivet only threaded.. Worked great. I had to enlarge the hole tho..  I just shortened the leather, punched in new holes. Both boxed done and playing well

Also.. I decided to play with 'stopping buttons bottoming out and going too deep in the hole '. I did not want to use a piece of wood as I have read others have done on melnet. So I did the following

I used 1/2 x 1/2 Sponge rubber weather stripping closed cell with self adhesive on one side.. I them to size to fit in the slots under the holes.  I shoved them in far as possible then install the pallet button assembly.. No more bottoming out.. and the stroke goes just below the hole, Just below level.. What a difference that makes..

Thanks for all the help here on "Melnet".
Johnnie
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:23:29 PM by Johnnie Johnston »
They Just Drop !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal