Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Altered Structure of Melodeons at Witney  (Read 6611 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Altered Structure of Melodeons at Witney
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »

Steve-f
Your post seems to read mine as a criticism.
Sorry - Quite the opposite - I guess I could have been clearer.
Ah - thanks for the clarification.  (:)
No worries. All's well! Keep on squeezin'  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

LIAM-ROBINSON

• Good talker
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »

Cheer up everyone, we're so lucky to have people who are even willing to consider organising any events for melodeons.  Putting on an event, even a small one is hard work and usually involves lots of very boring stuff to do with having enough cups of tea and toilet paper. There is usually a financial risk attached to, so thanks to Dave T and everybody else who is involved in supporting the melodeon world...I'm sure Theo and the team put a lot of work into this site too, simply because we all love the instrument and the diverse music we can play on it.

I fully understand the need for constructive feedback on events to improve the experience for everyone and appreciate the freedom to debate things publicly but I think for the moment, we should empty our festering pots, switch off the computer and go and play our melodeons.....it'll be much more rewarding :-)

If you are really unhappy with the structure of M@W try these possibilities - a) Contact Dave Townsend and lobby him directly b)decide it is just not for you c) organise and run your own melodeon weekend using the structure that you want

I think in summary - "sh*t or get off the pot"  ;-)  Now go and play melodeon........

Morrisbox

• Good talker
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

Cheer up everyone, we're so lucky to have people who are even willing to consider organising any events for melodeons

I couldn't agree more with Liam's post.  This was the first time in many years that I didn't go to M@W, not because of date change or altered format, but simply because I couldn't find enough to interest me, as I learn more about the melodeon, the more selective I become on the choice of session I want to attend.  What I would say though, is that I have learned such a lot over the years at M@W, and I, for one, consider myself lucky that someone (Dave Townsend) actually wants all the angst of organising the event.  I suspect Dave spends considerable amount of his time organising these events, and I guess has a level of finanical exposure associated with this.  We should be grateful that he does organise this, year on year, it is no mean feat.

I certainly wouldn't be the player I am without M@W, and I am indebted to Dave for organising it every year

Thanks Dave!!

Trevor

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »

As the person who began this thread, I must apologise for not having commented (until now) on what happened at Witney this year. Those who were there will know that I was limping heavily due to a recently torn calf muscle. The doctor told me to rest it, so what did I do? - I went to Witney! Result: a leg that has now swollen to twice its normal size and is throbbing like....something that throbs a lot.  :'(

But it was worth the suffering! The high quality tutoring, the camaraderie with friends old and new and the whole atmosphere make Witney one of the premier melodeon-workshop events of the year. I would say the premier event, but I have not yet been to Melodeons and More at Mendlesham, so I cannot compare it with that event.

Excellent though Witney was this year, that does not mean that it can't improve. I talked with most of the members of all three classes I attended and with three of the four tutors and all who expressed an opinion favoured the old format, with a single workshop on Saturday rather than two, except for one lady who had not experienced the old format, but was happy with the new one. I spoke at length with Dave Townsend at the end of the weekend and he seemed very genuine in his desire to listen to people's opinions before deciding on the format for next year. I would echo strongly Steve's exhortation for anyone who has an opinion in either direction to contact Dave Townsend and make their opinion known to him. The more people who do so, the better informed will be his decision about the format for next year.

I also asked Dave to look in here and read the views expressed in this thread and he assured me that he would do so.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:59:19 PM by Bob Ellis »
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 11:58:30 PM »

Bob, excellent points, indeed. Could I remind you to communicate same to Mr Townsend,  privately, by email, "as requested"  ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 12:04:46 AM »

Chris,

Since I mentioned in my last post that I had spoken at length to Dave Townsend  at the end of Melodeons at Witney and that I was passing on his request for people to e-mail him with their views, I thought that it would be understood that I was also contacting him by e-mail with a written summary of the opinions that I expressed to him face-to-face.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »

Great event, really just what we need, but some quite astonishing changes, and feedback?

Such hard work …  ::)
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal