Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Verdigris  (Read 4852 times)

Waltham

• Regular debater
Verdigris
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:44:57 PM »

One of my older melodeons has what looks like verdigris on several of the metal bellows corners and an even older button accordion has it on the bass strap fixings.  How worried should I be?  Should I burn the affected parts before it infects everything I own or just regard it as a historic patina?  Is there a cure?

buttonmasher

Re: Verdigris
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »

Waltham,
As far as I know verdigris is just a form of oxydation like rust.  The metal parts you mentioned were probably nickle plated.  A rub with some fine wire wool will get rid of the oxydation, but the plating well may have dissapeared.  Not much else you can do really.  Some older instruments had fittings made of an alloy, the oxide on this is like a white powder, and the fitting will eventually be eaten away.  All oxydation is caused by contact with the air, the damper the air the more rapid the oxydation.  The secret is to polish the instrument regularly with, say, furnature polish, and keep it dry.
Ralph.

Kevin Mack

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 04:56:07 PM »

It sounds like the corners are made of brass. I assume the verdigris has a green tinge, if not it's probably rust or aluminium oxide.
It's not contagious, so it shouldn't spread to other parts, but it's a sign of damp contiditons, so I would make sure you keep the melodeons somewhere dry. It's common if you live by the coast, the sea air can set it off.
I would just rub it off and store the instruments dry, or if you're by the seaside, in plastic sack with some kind of anti humidity product like silica gel.
Having said that, if you overdo the drying, the wood could shrink, so use it in moderation.
Kev.
Gloucester Lad  Can't play (much)  Can fix  Can tune

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:31:27 PM »

I think its more likely the moisture is coming from the players skin!  Sweat contains a useful mixture of corrosive chemicals which do cause this kind of problem on brass and copper.  So try giving the box a good wipe down with a  dry cloth after any particularly vigourous sessions. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Kevin Mack

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »

I think its more likely the moisture is coming from the players skin!  Sweat contains a useful mixture of corrosive chemicals which do cause this kind of problem on brass and copper.  So try giving the box a good wipe down with a  dry cloth after any particularly vigourous sessions. 

That's very possible. I've never suffered from verdigris, and I confine any vigourous sweaty sessions to the bedroom, where they belong!!

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »

[
That's very possible. I've never suffered from verdigris, and I confine any vigourous sweaty sessions to the bedroom, where they belong!!
[/quote]

I practise melodeon in the bedroom as well .
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Kevin Mack

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »

" I practise melodeon in the bedroom as well "

Yeah but, as well as what?

oldclubII

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 02:36:24 AM »

"Vert-de-gris" is copper oxyde, as rust is iron oxyde. Not good. Can be found on copper and copper alloys such as brass. Can be removed with a non-abrasive metal cleaner and a scouring pad or very fine steel wool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal