Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Club 3M  (Read 910 times)

Peter Cane

• Regular debater
Hohner Club 3M
« on: February 04, 2023, 08:24:23 AM »

I have just bought a Hohner Club3M.
My research into them before buying revealed that they have gone out of fashion in terms of why they were designed ( Playing in accordion clubs in Germany), Not a lot of people like them because of the Gleichton button and they weighed a ton. ( Brilliant.....loads of reeds!)
This probs explained why I was the only bidder!
Anyway it seems to be a nice box and if it needs work I have learnt how to tackle fettling and tuning .
I was happy that no one else was interested as I got it for a good price seeing that I have read that they were extremely well made and come in CF with seven auxiliary keys and LMMMH which to me represents a pretty substantial box.
Cannot do pics yet coz its on the way to Australia from Germany.
I was searching for material ( German/ Austrian ) to learn from and found three useful old books in PDF form courtesy Anahata who plays one and is pleased with it. ( Thank you Anahata ).
My burning question is this....
It is said that the Club models were designed for German and Austrian type music .
Is it because the Gleichton button makes it easier to play OOmpah music and if so how please?
Why are the club models associated with German Volksmusik ?

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
Re: Hohner Club 3M
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »

If you have LMMMH it's not a club 3M.
I have a club 3M and it's LMM
I also have a Morino Club M which IS LMMMH and it does indeed weigh a ton, but speaks with the slightest pressure ànd sounds glorious (it'll sound more glorious when I've sorted out some of the spurious tuning).
And yes, loads of reeds!
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Peter Cane

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 09:55:11 AM »

If you have LMMMH it's not a club 3M.
I have a club 3M and it's LMM
I also have a Morino Club M which IS LMMMH and it does indeed weigh a ton, but speaks with the slightest pressure ànd sounds glorious (it'll sound more glorious when I've sorted out some of the spurious tuning).
And yes, loads of
!
Sorry...yes you are correct...for some daft reason I was thinking Morino!!!
But I did think it had MMM as its a club 3.
Thats my logic out the window.
Won't ring like my Corso then. UGG

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 10:18:58 AM »

Some Club 3 examples are MMM.  Hohner club boxes are a diverse family from the miniature Preciosa to the gigantic 5 voice.  The common features of all of them are the gleichton and the bass layout.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Jan Dijkstra

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 10:22:46 AM »

Yes, IIIM is LMM. My IIIM has no gleichton, this was retuned to have the Dutch Reversal. I taped the low reeds in the basses (not the chords) and reversed the fourth on the helper row  for runs and chords in A.
Next step is a less wet more swing tuning on MM (sorry, Hohner) and a 100% bandonion tuning on LM.
IIIM's, Norma's and IIIM deLuxe (with bass register) can still be found in Europe for a good price.

I never play German oompah tunes, prefer the French and Belgian repertoire and Andy Cuttings wonderfull tunes.

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 10:48:38 AM »

Peter, if you are looking for a 3 voice club box, the club 4 might suit you. (Not modell 4)
Reasonably compact (for a club) and easily available in MMM.
There are LMM versions, but these have a register lever on the back of the keyboard.
They always seem to be undervalued. I used a LMM one as a basis for my GC 3 row french box.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 06:55:52 PM »

My first proper box was a III (Bb/Eb) and it's still my favorite.  Like Jan, I don't play any of the type of music I suppose for which it was intended - but do play some French and Belgian style tunes - the large air hole and supple bellows on the clubs allow for wonderful expression for chanson song forms, etc.  But what I fell for is the S American approach (forro, chamame, cumbia, etc) for which the club III seems to be the preeminent box (as opposed to the nortena/conjunto styles played on coronas).

When purchasing vintage clubs, it's not uncommon for them to be accompanied by a raft of songbooks and other materials - presumably from the "Club" era; unfortunately I don't speak nor read the language, so have no use for the materials - if anyone wishes to have i'd be happy to send along..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:26:27 PM by Randal Scott »

Peter Cane

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 08:38:05 PM »

My first proper box was a III (Bb/Eb) and it's still my favorite.  Like Jan, I don't play any of the type of music I suppose for which it was intended - but do play some French and Belgian style tunes - the large air hole and supple bellows on the clubs allow for wonderful expression for chanson song forms, etc.  But what I fell for is the S American approach (forro, chamame, cumbia, etc) for which the club III seems to be the preeminent box (as opposed to the nortena/conjunto styles played on coronas).

When purchasing vintage clubs, it's not uncommon for them to be accompanied by a raft of songbooks and other materials - presumably from the "Club" era; unfortunately I don't speak nor read the language, so have no use for the materials - if anyone wishes to have i'd be happy to send along..
Thats very interesting and positive to hear other aspects about what people use the Club model for and that they like them.
I have read somewhere that they are making a come back.
You spoke about music books that come with them.
If the material us German/ Austrian/ Slovenian I am really interested please.
Can you please pm me with a few details and we can get something arranged.
Thank you .

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 03:25:06 AM »

Sure, they're very small - as fits conveniently in your kit for traversing the Tyrolian alpine I imagine  send your address and I'll mail them to you.  Shame I didn't hang on to one set I received with a box I'd purchased - it had a sweet little hard-back book with full color illustrations -

Peter Cane

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 12:12:32 PM »

Well it finally arrived today.
Wonderful condition, in tune, no flappy leathers making weird noises, decent straps and its all nice and glossy like glass.
The bellows tape is a bit dirty and old so I will re tape it.
Really love it.
Learning a fully chromatic scale on the draw just because it does it and for the hell of it.
Playing Ds is a bit weird but I can get used to it.
Really nice old original grey Hohner case.
Not pristine but very decent and will see me out.
I think it must have come by boat from Germany to Australia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal