Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Clever mod for accidentals  (Read 3641 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Clever mod for accidentals
« on: November 17, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »

Saw this neat little mod in Whitby. The owner (shall we call him George) is far too shy to publish his cleverness, do I'll do that for him ..

1. stiff wire along above the keys - 'paddles' kinked in centrally, and over the Eb/F accidental

(will upload in sections to stay within melnet limits)
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Clever mod for accidentals
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »

The hinge is simply a copper block - here a connector stem, cut out of a UK pattern 3-pin electric plug (naturally square), drilled and fixed

_       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »

The 'tags' (cams?) are slightly offset. Pressing the middle tag depresses the Eb/F key, but is controlled from mid keyboard. No more stretching!

Clever George  ;) ..
  _       _    _      _ 

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »

It looks cool, but i am not sure i understand what it does exactly.

Everytime you now push your 6th button on the innerrow, it doesnt sound like that button, but it sounds like the first button? Are there scales in which you never need your 6th button, but you do need your first?
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »

Everytime you now push your 6th button on the innerrow, it doesnt sound like that button, but it sounds like the first button? Are there scales in which you never need your 6th button, but you do need your first?
W

If I understand it correctly the linkage is not connected to either sixth button it appears as button 6a (in between 6 and 7) on the G row.

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »

W
If I understand it correctly the linkage is not connected to either sixth button it appears as button 6a (in between 6 and 7) on the G row.

Right!
The "wire button" (under the finger on photo 3) only activates the first button of the inner row.

Cool!!
Carpe diem, C.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »

Nicely done George! And a mod which most should be able to do if they require it.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

george garside

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »

and it makes playing the third part of the bluebell polka in C dead easy!

the wire I used is piano wire, obtainable from good model shops in metre lengths .  It took a couple of attempts to get the loops for the accidental and the one that is used a  'button' right as once bent it wont straighten  so you have to start again from scratch.

Also did similar mod on pokerwork which is much easier to do. I will take  a pic of it and post it.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

george garside

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »

W

Right!
The "wire button" (under the finger on photo 3) only activates the first button of the inner row.

Cool!!

think of it a being a 'black'' button in the right place

george

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »

It's a really sensible modification and makes life much easier. It's very common in France with various '21 + 2' models available off the shelf, and castagnari produce a kit of parts for converting 2 row instruments.

The section 'notre travail d'atelier' on la maison de l'accordeon's site gives details and pictures.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »

It is also something the Emmanuel Pariselle fits to the boxes but on his one row courses.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:23 PM »

W

Ah, right. Makes much more sense. My Casta has indeed 21+2 as well. works a lot more pleasant then having to stretch so often.
I have seen Hohners get a similar upgrade as well, with 2 small black pins coming from under the keyboard,

Wouldnt it be cool to be able to change something the way i thought it was meant? Like a switch to change all your e's into eflats? Wouldnt be entirely undoable methinks,
W
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

george garside

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »

here is the version of my mod for flat keyboard instruments ( shown on a pokerwork)  It is much easier to do than the behind the grille version as on the Lilly.  Just 2 little wooden blocks glued to the keyboard with  a wire passing through them  one end over the accidental and t'other end  bent to act as a ''black'' button

george

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »

Bravo chaps, just clicked in my mind how this works. It does make a hell of alot of sense

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 12:03:05 AM »

and costs b'gger all … ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »

The pokerwork photo is of the 'prototype' I did about 20 years ago  on a knackered old box - It can be improved cosmetically!.  It is also quite possible to do  both accidentals  on many flat keyboards  by using 2 holes in the wooden blocks and two wires anad probably a 3rd small block to act as a stop/locator for the G# wire.  I never got round to doing that 'cos the G# button is easily thumbable

george

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »

My Casta has indeed 21+2 as well. works a lot more pleasant then having to stretch so often.
On your Castagnari 21+2, does the 2-button half-row merely duplicate the chin-end accidentals, or does it mean that you can have low notes at the chin end and accidentals only on the half-row? The latter is good...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Cooper

• Cooper's homepage
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »

My Casta has indeed 21+2 as well. works a lot more pleasant then having to stretch so often.
On your Castagnari 21+2, does the 2-button half-row merely duplicate the chin-end accidentals, or does it mean that you can have low notes at the chin end and accidentals only on the half-row? The latter is good...

The latter would be very good indeed, but halas, it is the same thing as discussed here, just a duplicate. (it is a gc, so in his case low notes wouldnt even be that necesary)
W

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

The latter would be very good indeed, but halas, it is the same thing as discussed here, just a duplicate. (it is a gc, so in his case low notes wouldnt even be that necesary)
W
Yes - I thought that would be the case.  :(
If only Castagnari would make a 21+2 instrument where the 2-button half-row was a true accidental row and not duplicating the chin-end! For a D/G instrument with a 3rd button start, it would give you low notes at the chin end and yet still retain the highest notes at the knee-end. Highly desirable! But sadly, not available.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »

I've even seen something similar on a Preciosa where the first button on the half row operated the same reeds as the first button on the F row.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal