Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ligna Viceroy  (Read 1933 times)

Stephen34

• New Starter
Ligna Viceroy
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »

Charity shop find, Ligna Viceroy in C, 10 button with four bass buttons. Says made in Czechoslovakia. It is a cute little thing, all red with ArtDeco symbols on the front. Grill cloths shot and had to re-glue a bass reed bock. Bellows are fine but it takes rather more effort than my Pokerwork. Quite a nice sound. Would anyone know the history of this, age etc? I gather Ligna was short for Lignatone and was one of a number of lines made by one company.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: Ligna Viceroy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »

Any chance of a photo or two? :-*
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »

Yeah, Lignatone = Delicia . some nice stuff came from that factory even in the earlier days
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Lyra

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »

Sorry for grave digging, but seemed silly to start a new thread.
I have acquired one of these, I think. It comes with the original (?) sales receipt for £8/7/6 which might be dated 1953 (or 55 or 25) - it's in pencil so hard to say.
Also has a (very ratty) copy of Francis and Day's 10 key melodeon tutor and some pages from Eve's own stories dated 1925. Condition of the book seems consistent with that date.
The melodeon seems in decent order. The paintwork is a bit flakey in places, and the grill fabric is stained, but the bellows are tight (as in never been played in) with no discernible leaks. One reed isn't sounding in the bass and one treble is buzzy. I bought it for nixpence to dig around in without fear, so none of that is an issue.
I'm just intrigued as to the age of it - anyone can shed light?

There are some cracking tunes in the book - who could resist "I'm going back again to Yarrawonga" or "Oh by Jingo, Oh by Gee". I'll draw a discreet veil over "Coal Black Mammy" and go straight to "That's what God made Mothers for".

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »

*USELESS TRIVIA WARNING*

re. "I'm Going Back Again to Yarrawonga", a small town in Victoria on the shores of the Murray River.

Words and music by a Cpl Neil McBeath and written in France towards the end of World War I.

After the war, McBeath continued to write patriotic songs and popular dance music up until the 1940s, most of it long forgotten, but his Yarrawonga song is still fondly retained in the Australian psyche. Not quite up there with Waltzing Matilda, but close....
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal