Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Base hand fingers getting tired. Need advice  (Read 2968 times)

shalomjj

Base hand fingers getting tired. Need advice
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »

I play a Hohner Erica C/F and have noticed that when playing for a while my left hand fingers on the base buttons, especially the middle and ring finger get tired and even tingle a bit after playing. Any ideas on how I might improve upon this? :-\

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Re: Base hand fingers getting tired. Need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »

You would have to tell a bit more about the way you use your hand and fingers...but..

i always advice people to move their base-hand a lot farther through then beginning players usually do. That way you can play with your fingerTIPS instead of with the palm-side of your fingers. That uses a lot les energy,
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »

You would have to tell a bit more about the way you use your hand and fingers...but..

i always advice people to move their base-hand a lot farther through then beginning players usually do. That way you can play with your fingerTIPS instead of with the palm-side of your fingers. That uses a lot les energy,
W

Could the original poster a video of him playing would help diagnose his problems but as you say it is probably down to how far through the strap he is placing his hand.

Cooper - following your 'Please correct my English' in your signature - It's the BASS end of a melodeon, and you ADVISE (verb) people by giving ADVICE (noun).

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »

i always advise people to move their bass-hand a lot farther through then beginning players usually do. That way you can play with your fingerTIPS instead of with the palm-side of your fingers. That uses a lot les energy,
W

Could the original poster a video of him playing would help diagnose his problems but as you say it is probably down to how far through the strap he is placing his hand.

Cooper - following your 'Please correct my English' in your signature - It's the BASS end of a melodeon, and you ADVISE (verb) people by giving ADVICE (noun).
thx!
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

george garside

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

W

that's hit the nail on the head!  A reasonable position is to have the wrist strap more or less where a watch strap would be   

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

RobLandberger

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »

I always had the same problem. and used to tighten the strap as much as possible, but it made my hand cramp up pretty quickly. Watching others play, I realised that they have their hand almost right through the strap. I loosened mine, and the problem went away. Took a bit of getting used to, especially on the Compadre which is a heavy instrument, (and in truth I'm still getting used to it!) but worth it for improving the playing, and hand doesn't get as tired any more.
Rob

tirpous

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »

A reasonable position is to have the wrist strap more or less where a watch strap would be   

As in this picture ??

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »

That looks to me as if it would only work with an in/out air button rather than an down/up (Pokerwork type) air button.

george garside

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »

That looks to me as if it would only work with an in/out air button rather than an down/up (Pokerwork type) air button.

use it for all three types of air controls. Button, hohner slide and long BCC# air bar.  For the hohner sliding up and down button I just use a lower  bit of the thumb  and it must be easy as this is the first time in many years that I have thought about it - in fact I have just had to play a pokerwork to look and see how Ive been doing it for 50 odd years!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »

If you're getting tingling, then you're restricting the blood flow somewhere. It looks like the edge of the box may be resting on the inside of the wrist below the base of your thumb. That would give you that sort of symptom. Mind you, I'm only a beginner, but I noticed the hands further through the wrist strap thing too, and since I adjusted my hand position, as recommended earlier, I find playing a lot more comfortable.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

AirTime

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »

Not wishing to open the ol' can of worms, but how far you put your hand through the straps does also depend on whether you're playing the bass buttons with 2, 3 or 4 fingers, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-fiCV9_GEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyPjQmgFv4Q
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »

A reasonable position is to have the wrist strap more or less where a watch strap would be   

As in this picture ??

Far too far in in my opinion. Not using  computer speak  you'll understand.
 Or should I say FWIW ?  ;D

Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal