Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mendlesham - Melodeons and More 2014  (Read 17309 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Mendlesham - Melodeons and More 2014
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »

Finally got chance to listen to the cd...i'm dubious about my apaulling row cross ability. But the tune seem to stick in my head ok.
Sweet home chicago doesn't seem as daunting as i thought it might be...no singing but managed to bust out some lindy hop/jazz steps to it. ;)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »

Sweet home chicago doesn't seem as daunting as i thought it might be...no singing but managed to bust out some lindy hop/jazz steps to it. ;)
We shall look forward to watching you dance in the end-of-afternoon showcase!  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2014, 06:19:02 PM »

Well my dancing is better than my playing. ;)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2014, 04:22:35 PM »

Maybe if I'd started 40 years ago...

Which reminds me of something I was going to say earlier. Zoltán Kodály had a scheme to get all school children in Hungary to learn to read music. I was going to say that it must help them a lot that they learn at an early age, the same time that they are learning to read their spoken language. I did a quick search and found that there's more to it than that - but that article is well worth reading anyway for anyone interested in the process of learning music, and since it's tied in with the learning of folk traditions it's particularly relevant to many of us.

(one-line summary: they learn rhythm, dance  and singing first, before learning to read music or to play an instrument)

The fact remains that the skill is much better absorbed at an early age.

Interesting. I learned by the Suzuki method, which is similar in some respects and radically different in others. In Suzuki the emphasis is on learning by ear and memorising before learning notation. i.e. you learn how to play music before you learn to read. So mirroring the foreign language thing. I wonder if anyone has tried to take things from both methods, it would be very interesting.

Anyway, Mendlesham. Can't wait!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Black Diamond

• Black Diamond Accordions
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Melodeons & More tomorrow. I'll be there all day with YoungRay on the Black Diamond stand, with our best-selling beginners' D/G Melodeon, and also an exciting new instrument - hope you'll all come and give it a squeeze and let us know what you think!  Greg

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »

Gosh, I came here to make plans for MaM tomorrow (Terry Mann and Tony Hall, and my preparation has been 'rubbish'), and found a fascinating discussion on dots. I always think I'm lucky in that I got lots and lots of dot learning as a child, so although I'm a 'poor' sight reader (by piano and voice standards) I can normally play a new tune off the dots... after a fashion. For me, the quickest way to pick up a tune is to hear it through 3-4 times, then work with the dots for a few minutes, then learn it thoroughly by ear.

But I'm afraid I'm with the group that think that to properly internalise a tune you have to have it completely in your head. And repertoire workshops notwithstanding, I think many of us would benefit from learning fewer tunes, but learning them more thoroughly. I think written music remains a great aide memoire and place to store written notes, but these tunes really have their finest moments when groups of people play them together by ear.

Anyway, hope to see lots of you tomorrow

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2014, 07:08:57 AM »

See you all later (:) can't wait.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »

Well, Rees made my head hurt this morning. Cajun is not for me, I fear.
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2014, 12:31:08 AM »

Another great day & decent weather this year, although the soup at lunch ran out too quickly  ;)

Nice as always meet up again with familiar faces, fellow MAD sufferers and put more faces to melnetters!!!

The concert was brilliant and the range of music played really diverse, from Vaughn Williams to Dylan, from the west of Wales to deepest Norfolk.........

Ukebert was concerned about performing on the same stage as Tony Hall. Wrong!!!!
Owen - it was a brilliant set with marvellous musicianship and musicality. Get a solo melodeon CD out!!!

Wonder how much of this afternoon's 12 bar blues I'll remember in the morning.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »

Thoroughly enjoyed the day - just a shame I had to leave early to get back but it was brilliant to meet up with fellow squeezers and mel.netters. Owen your workshop was great, despite being a 'non-reader' I quite understood the playing in chords, octaves and thirds, it tied in nicely with what I'm currently trying to get my head round, and was an excellent precursor to Peter's blues workshop, incidentally.

If I can get myself organised well enough next year I shall book myself in for 2 nights somewhere in order to be able to participate fully with the entire event.

To anyone thinking about doing workshops but worried about their 'level', I was holding onto my hat quite a bit in both workshops, but I had accepted that lots of stuff would probably go right over my head, but that I would definitely take away enough to learn something solid. And this has been the case. Take a deep breath and dive in, you won't regret it! :o
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »

Yes, a great event. Enjoyed lots of different things about it, including meeting a few melnetters and Bob's map reading (only joking!). So many people who were approachable and happy to chat.  The highlight of the concert for me, apart from Ukebert's virtuosity, was the beautifully worked set by Steve and Rees - really joyful and rich. Thanks to Andy Turner too for sharing his playing in the workshops I went to.  Not sure about those chairs in the Kings Head.
Also, heck of a long way from Sheffield!!
 :||:
Mike

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »

What a fantastic day! Had enormous fun leading my workshop, which I hope people got something out of, and the concert was superb - some lovely music (especially from Steve and Rees, who did a lovely set) and my spot went well (:) Lovely to meet so many melnetters. Can't wait till the next one!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »

A fabulous weekend in which I enjoyed meeting old friends, making new ones and learning a lot in the one-row workshops led by Rees and Katie.

The session on Friday evening wasn't well attended, but was very enjoyable. The concert on Saturday was excellent - I must learn Brian Peters' version of The Mighty Quinn, which has a special resonance for me because it was the name of my deceased and sorely-missed Newfoundland dog. Sunday's melodeon maintenance workshop was also very informative, with Rees sharing his invaluable experience with us, ably assisted by Martin White and Steve Dumpleton. Grateful thanks to all three of them, to all the tutors on Saturday and to Katie and John Howson for organising such a great weekend.

Since returning home, I have improved my playing of Jolie Catin, finding places where I can add some of Rees's ornaments (and a few of my own, which I like to call 'tuneful mistakes'!) There is a danger that I might start playing (and singing!) it in public. If this constitutes a public nuisance (as well it might), blame Rees! Now to turn my attention to Bosco Stomp, which Rees played briefly in the workshop. I shall also see whether I can make any progress with Sweet Home Chicago and The Mighty Quinn.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »

Since returning home, I have improved my playing of Jolie Catin, finding places where I can add some of Rees's ornaments (and a few of my own, which I like to call 'tuneful mistakes'!) There is a danger that I might start playing (and singing!) it in public. If this constitutes a public nuisance (as well it might), blame Rees! Now to turn my attention to Bosco Stomp, which Rees played briefly in the workshop. I shall also see whether I can make any progress with Sweet Home Chicago and The Mighty Quinn.

I was quite surprised the next morning I remebered how to do the basic stuff with sweet home chicago..problem is trying to work out when to change fromthe A to the D etc. And tottally forgotton all the fills. lol!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2014, 07:05:20 AM »

Glad you all enjoyed the day! It was certainly equal to any of the previous events if not better. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was nice to meet up with old friends and make new ones.

Thanks for your kind words about our concert spot. Rees and I had a real blast!   ;D ;
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal