Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polska  (Read 5869 times)

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
Polska
« on: February 13, 2009, 07:06:35 PM »

This are really questions for any Nordic types out there.

Apart from being a lively 3 time tune from Northern Europe, what are the characteristics of a polska?  What type of dance do people do to these tunes?

Does anyone have the ABC or notation for some straightforward polskas that fit well on a diatonic accordion and would be a good way into getting the feel for this type of tune?

For that matter what are Hambos, Hallings, Reinlanders, and all these other wonderful tunes from up north?
Nick

TomB-R

Re: Polska
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »

Crucial thing about a polska is that the emphasis is on the first and third beat. It is NOT a waltz, so the count goes something like

1_31_31_3

The middle beat can be a bit "stretchy."  It's a couple dance with couples changing between walking to the rhythm and then rotating once per bar with the man and woman's steps on different beats.  There are video clips on the net but I can't find a link just now.
Tom

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:51 AM »

Apart from being a lively 3 time tune from Northern Europe, what are the characteristics of a polska?  What type of dance do people do to these tunes?

I've a vague recollection that Tim Van Eyken said you dance them like waltzes but with a limp .

Does anyone have the ABC or notation for some straightforward polskas that fit well on a diatonic accordion and would be a good way into getting the feel for this type of tune?

The Richard Robinson tune book has quite a few Polskas. I've the ABCs on my PC
but the link to the web site is :-
Richard Robinson site
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

waltzman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »

For that matter what are Hambos, Hallings, Reinlanders, and all these other wonderful tunes from up north?

The Hambo is a polska.  Polska is a general term covering multiple dances whereas Hambo is a particular dance with a specified sequence of moves.  The other two you mentioned I'm not familiar with.

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
    • Themassageman
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »

Crucial thing about a polska is that the emphasis is on the first and third beat. It is NOT a waltz, so the count goes something like

1_31_31_3

That sort of makes the polska the opposite of  mazurka, accent wise.
Nick

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:17:45 AM »

Actually to dance the Polska will make you giddy. Here in Sweden they just go around and around the same direction all the time.

At http://www.ransatersstamman.nu/ it's the most popular dance. I think that the kids just get high on it.

However, I call it the, "Dance with a limp"  As that's how it goes. One, Limp, Two (three).

There might be a video around somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:19:58 AM by Fidjit »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

Polska is a fantastic dance!  I've learned it over the past couple of years.  Its not easy, but great when you get it.  If you want to hear some authentic polskas played get along to the Cumberland Arms in Newcastle on the first or third Tuesday of each month (next one will be the 17th Feb) for the "Anything but Irish" session which always includes a good selection of polskas.  Often the players include some Scandinavian players.  There is also a Scandi session on the 4th Tuesday which is mostly polskas.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:35:34 AM »

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:47:01 AM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
    • Themassageman
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:03:34 PM »

Henrik Norbecks site is very clear and begins to make sense of some of the confusing ways that polskas seem to be notated.  With the unequal beats we seem to be in parallel territory to the waltzes in 5, 8, 11 or 13 time which modern French composers seem to love.

Nick

Matthew B

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »

Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 12:29:47 PM »

TomB-R

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »

Hasse

• Respected Sage
Sweden, Skåne

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »

Bit acrobatic that one.

See what I mean about going round and round the same way all the time. I got sick just looking at them. :|||:

Hey! I now have a star. What did I do to get that?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 07:55:02 AM »

Hey! I now have a star. What did I do to get that?

All we have to do is just keep talking apparently.  My wife reckons, of course, that this whole forum is in fact an anti-melodeon playing plot designed to keep us away from our instruments and glued to the computer screen (she's in on it obviously) - aaaaah! Its working!
AL

tostean

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »

The swedish website durspel.comspillefolk.dk has many swedish tunes besides the danish in sheet and midi (look under 'nodesamling').

I you search YouTube for 'durspel' (swedish = melodeon) you'll find videos with swedish melodeon-people playing, including some polskas and hambos. 

finnhorse

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »

I noticed this site a while back, it's a good one.  And while it's not a polska, Skeppareschottis is a good 4/4 tune that would fit in well at any session as a barndance or hornpipe.

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »

I noticed this site a while back, it's a good one.  And while it's not a polska, Skeppareschottis is a good 4/4 tune that would fit in well at any session as a barndance or hornpipe.

Yes we play Skeppareschottis a lot, but then "we" are over here in Sweden.

Schottis' are very close to the Hornpipe and there are lots of Hornpipes I play for our dancers as a Schottis.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal