Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: USing electric pedals with accordions  (Read 12176 times)

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
Re: USing electric pedals with accordions
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »

As someone who is quite partial to that shouty, noisy music genre known as 'metal', I'm often of the opinion that instrument + distortion pedal = mega sounds. I'd be interested to hear any results of experiments done with a melodeon or accordion through a distortion pedal
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »

You can certainly drive feedback by playing into your speakers.  I believe that sort of thing gets approval from you young fans of beat music.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 07:25:33 PM »

Last week I had some fun putting my new Roland FR-1 Piano Accordion through a friend's Boss G3 multi-effects processor - hey it was  >:E

The expression pedal also gave me the option to wah-wah the sound as well. I'm afraid that the English Language isn't really capable of expressing the effect...but it was pretty wild. I played Shand's 'Bluebell Polka' with tons of reverb, gain & distortion and nearly blew the speaker out of it's cabinet each time. What I did find a little disappointing was that the left hand side of things tended to overly distort unless I was very careful. But all in all it was fun - and I'd do it again!
 ;D

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »

Sorry to display my nerd side Al, but a controller box which, amongst other things, splits frequencies and sends the bass elements to the bass speakers and the rest to the mid and high range speakers will cure that bottom end confusion and rumble.  I use Celestion.  Works brilliantly.  You can blow the place apart and the audience can enjoy every ear splitting nuance.

After all if you have 3000 watts you want them to benefit from every one of them don't you  >:E
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »

Sorry to display my nerd side Al, but a controller box which, amongst other things, splits frequencies and sends the bass elements to the bass speakers and the rest to the mid and high range speakers will cure that bottom end confusion and rumble.

Not entirely if you have distortion dialled in. As soon as you play more that a single note you get all sorts of intermodulation products that don't fit. If you play bass, chords and melody at once you will get a very grungy sound though a distortion unit, and a crossover unit will only ensure that mess is reproduced faithfully at potentially maximum power   :o >:E

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »

Not entirely if you have distortion dialled in.

Absolutely.  There is no escape from GIGO   ;D
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 01:37:19 AM »

Our desk has a range of effects that you can dial in. I had everybody in fits when playing Morris tunes through it with wah-wah on the highest setting. We concluded (as we always do when we periodically do this) that all the effects are very funny but completely pointless :P

I tried the organ pedal board route.  Gave up.  It was like patting your head and rubbing your stomach.  Fine with guitar and singing but hopeless with melodeon.

I've often thought about it. It's fairly pointless with a melodeon, because you have bass anyway. I wanted to play rhythm and bass on Charango and pedalboard. Too much of a project though :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 01:56:01 AM »

Steve Jordan known as the Jimi Hendrix of the accordion used all sorts of electronic effects with his button box. His music is most famous along the Texas/Mexican border.

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »

I've been using a Boss VE20, technically a vox fx unit , great for adding a subtle sub harmony + you get about a 30sec loop function too
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »

I'm feeling very old  (:)  Back in my teens I played in a free-form jazz band (ie we couldn't play properly, a generation later we'd have been a punk band) and whilst mainly a bass player I also played my first (and very beat up, bandoneon through various effects pedals, from memory a fuzz/phaser, a distortion and a flanger.  Looking back on it my thought would be why?

Having said that the new generation of effects boards give a lot more options and you can have some serious fun but whether they're really usable is a different issue.  If you want to do that you could almost cut the hassle and buy a midi-melodeon  >:E

Steve

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 11:33:43 PM »

Just following up on the internal mics - my first box, a Dino Baffetti Morris II, had internal mics fitted.  There was a single electret mic in the bass side and three stuck inside the grille cloth with RTV on the treble end.  A single PP3 battery was hidden behind the grille and a stereo jack socket fitted, such that when a mono jack was inserted, the battery circuit was connected.  A single volume control was fitted in the grille.  The internal wiring from bass to treble side was a serpentine arrangement with a bight glued to each fold of the bellows.  Unfortunately, no connectors were fitted to allow disassembly of the box!  It had to be unsoldered if you needed to replace a spring!

The sound was pretty similar to using a Microvox, which I always feels loses something by being too closely miced.  Very useful though, at times when you're not carrying all your gear. I get more ambiance by using two condenser mics on short stands around 18 inches away - it also minimises variations in volume due to movement.  I think part of my melodeon face (gurning) is due to trying not to break wind whilst the mics are live.

Rob.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

Here's a demo of the Wahlodeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqlxNnlr2QY
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »

The only pedal I've found that works -- brilliantly! -- is a micro-POG on the bass end:

http://www.ehx.com/products/micro-pog

Drops the basses *and the chords* by an octave, even works with multiple buttons and crossed chords.

Great if you don't have a bass player, or they're playing another instrument...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal