Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One row playing - where does the thumbstrap go?  (Read 2874 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
One row playing - where does the thumbstrap go?
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:18:18 PM »

Am in the middle of practicing up me' ol' one row technique; seeing if I can get by using the thumbstr@p only. Just to confirm though... where should that thumbstr@p actually go?

How is it positioned on the keyboard, how far up, and in what direction? (My 1 row came with the str@p in what I considered a very odd direction - maybe 4 o'clock relative to the keyboard (keyboard edge = 3 o'clock), and I've shifted around to 2 o'clock). But which is normal/recommended? Anyone have any photo examples?

[PS: Yes, the p0rn filter is playing up again!  :o]

gettabettabox

Re: One row playing - where does the thumbstrap go?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 12:23:38 AM »

I think I have to be careful what I say here, because I have seen your 'you tube' bits and not sure if you're having a giggle?
so I must mix up my reply in advising...advice based upon the premise of a 'single rivet' strap.

you must play all alone (very alone) in a darkened kitchen (always a good one for any musician, unsighted is a great way to learn what works)...the thumb strap will go where it must, it will follow the thumb methinks!...but the other fingers chasing the tune will lead the thumb.
try a slow, (dark, kitchen) tune to start with, but build up the tempo. ...do not get into a frenzy. (counter productive.)
try behind,... try on the edge, try elastic.
if the thumb moves dynamically in/out, the box should move 'accordingly'...if the thumb moves and the box doesn't... more practice or firmer anchorage is required...(elastic?)  - exception is single rivet up/down movement.

gettabettabox

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »

but having posted...think you've got a fixed, double rivet strap? not so good.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »

but having posted...think you've got a fixed, double rivet strap? not so good.

Youtube yes, but always with straps! Strapless is harder for me... but yep, that's right - at the moment, the thumb strap is fixed with 2 screws, so double rivet I guess. I can change the position of the strap by putting some extra holes in the strap, but once it's in place, it's fixed. But, now I look at it, there is also a single rivet (with nothing on it) further back into the keyboard. I've wondered what that was for - perhaps a previous owner took the thumb strap off that, then drilled (shudder) a couple of new holes to fix it into a new position with 2 screws?

gettabettabox

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:51:38 AM »

I really should not be offering my views to a player like yourself...
but it is my experience that it is advantageous when thumbstraps allow for some up/down movement (but minimal in/out) when playing strapless, facilitated by a well anchored thumb in a single riveted strap.
...but this never occurred to many great players in the past!
thank you for the vids.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:57 AM »

I built a one-row on the second EATMT week-long courses run by Emmanuel Pariselle. We made quite a substantial thumb strapp for the instrument - a loop of thick (approx 2mm) leather covered with a thinner (approx 0.7 mm) fine leather. The strapp is non-rotating, secured by two screws in the '3-o'clock' position, level with the 5th button down from the chin end. See photos.

The thumb strapp is surprisingly comfortable to use - possibly due to its chunkiness - and with my thumb in place through the loop and braced against the edge of the keyboard, I can readily reach all the buttons.

However, I usually play the instrument with the shoulder strapp only, but occasionally use the thumb strapp as well if I feel it is slipping.

(spelling edited to confuse the blimmin' p0rn filter  :( )
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:11:23 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:16:37 AM »

I play 1 row with just a thumb strap as you may well know. I will try to take some photos today of the most common two methods of using a thumb strap and stick them up.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »

Am in the middle of practicing up me' ol' one row technique; seeing if I can get by using the thumbstr@p only. Just to confirm though... where should that thumbstr@p actually go?

In the bin  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »

In the bin  ;)

That was exactly my reaction - glad you said it, though, and not me!   ;)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

tirpous

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »

In the bin  ;)

So what do you suggest instead ?  Shoulder straps or just "grabbin' the keyboard" ??

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 12:07:58 AM »

In the bin  ;)

In a drawer, inside an old sweet tin  ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:31:23 AM by Andrew Wigglesworth »

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 06:59:13 AM »

Andrew, you must be psychic! That's exactly where mine are.  :o
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

I have one in an old shoe box and two in a jar on the window ledge.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »

In the bin  ;)

So what do you suggest instead ?  Shoulder straps or just "grabbin' the keyboard" ??

A single shoulder strap works best for me.
www.melodeons.com

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »

In the bin  ;)

Ditto
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »

In the bin  ;)

Ditto

Me too. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:01:38 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

gettabettabox

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »

removing and dispensing with the thumb strap into the bin and playing with a shoulder strap is fine, it permits transferring existing skills to a single row, but the bellow dynamics come from left hand work only.
however, playing with just a well anchored thumb strap allows for subtle differences with the dynamics, allowing for some push/draw influence, albeit difficult to master whilst playing the treble side. getting the right "shake" sometimes works easier for me this way.
i play both ways, different feel.

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »

If you bin the thumbstrap, or remove it in such a way as to make it difficult to replace, you are just making life difficult for any future player/owner who does happen to play using it. If you don't use it just ignore it unless it is simple to take on and off.
Martin

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »

If you bin the thumbstrap, or remove it in such a way as to make it difficult to replace, you are just making life difficult for any future player/owner who does happen to play using it. If you don't use it just ignore it unless it is simple to take on and off.
Martin

I agree. Or take it off and modify the instrument so that it can be replaced easily.
Castagnari always fit a thumb strap but most folks take them off as it's only one screw.
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal