Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bAFFETTI  (Read 2137 times)

Pat.

• Regular debater
bAFFETTI
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »

Is there any difference between a baffetti carnival 3 and a black pearl 3 apart from the wood/celluloid finish ?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: bAFFETTI
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

As you say, apart from the finish and slightly more rounded shape of the BP3, there is very little difference between them. I believe the same reeds ('macchina'-grade) are fitted to both models. The sound is virtually identical. The only rather more significant difference as far as I can see is that the Carnival 3 has a LH stop to remove the thirds from the chords, the BP 3 doesn't (but it may be possible to have a thirds stop fitted to special order). 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:46:44 AM »

Thanks for your informed reply Steve.

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »

why is the Baffett icarnival 111 cheaper than the black pear111?,I would have thought that the wood casing would have made it more expensive?,do thes boxes sound exactly the same? and do they have low notes or accidentals?. I ask as I had a Black pearl 111 years ago in C#/D and wish I still had it{most of us have been there no doubt], also do D/G  models come with or without accidentals,I ask as I might get another one in D/G.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »

My black II has accidentals below but the top end is restricted.  I am not a fan of these boxes.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:10:47 PM »

I think both the Carnival and Black/[Other Colours] Pearl are available with a 3rd stop, however, it depends on the age of the instrument: The older models of both do not have one. I think there have also been some technological improvements with some aspects of the design as time has gone on, too: I've spoken with quite a few people who've had their air button break on their BP II. I tried a new Carnival III out in October last year and was suitably impressed by the air button feeling significantly nicer, using a pivot, rather than a flexing plate.

The main difference I was able to detect that was relevant to me was that the Black Pearl III that I tried had a small slope/angled bass buttons, while the Carnival III I tried had a squared off bass end that, to me, felt more familiar. These were both new instruments, August and October respectively.

As usual though, most boxes are available with whatever layout people are prepared to order. If you're looking to buy new from eg https://squeezeboxes.co.uk/ you should probably just email them and they will help you out. The BP3 and Carnival 3 may come in 4th button start by default, now, too.

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »

Thank you Gena .Regarding sound and playability are they the same or is there a difference as they are made of different materials regarding the case work?.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »

Thank you Gena .Regarding sound and playability are they the same or is there a difference as they are made of different materials regarding the case work?.

I think if they're the same age you probably wouldn't notice big a difference, but I sadly don't have the option to directly compare them. As far as I'm aware, they're specced exactly the same. I suppose one point is that my BPII has black coated metal grill where as a carnival would have to have a wooden one, so assuming the III is the same way, that would probably affect things in some way. I also think the case work may be slightly different between them: note the holes by the bass buttons you tend to see on the BPIII which are absent on the Carnival III.

So, my biased opinion based on only 2 examples and a few minutes: the Carnival III I played felt very familiar under my fingers and I quite liked it. To be honest I didn't like the Black Pearl III I played, but I didn't have enough time with it to work out why. (someone else had already bought it!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal