Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced tutor?  (Read 8044 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Re: Advanced tutor?
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »

Interesting...
I always think "type 2" when I see folks playing left handed (i.e. "upside down")
Never ceases to amaze....
Same "type 2"  when one occasionally hears two part tunes being played at the same time (the australian fellow did this nicely on a tune or two)
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »

I agree with George.
Though I use the word 'practice' I really mean
 ' sit down with a cup of tea, play a couple of tunes to get rid of the work brain and....'
Try to make a passage crisper, look at a new tune, go over some old favourites cos I enjoy them etc... Until my tea is drunk or stone cold!
It's never a slog and I always come back feeling better.
I also drink a lot of tea..... :D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »

I think I sometimes  get the procedure in the wrong order - I put kettle on - pick up box - play - and forget about the kettle and am duly thankful it is of the electric sort that turns itself off!  I obviously need to  properly practice  the brewing of the tea before picking up box!

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

arty

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »

This is such an interesting and helpful thread for me. I started to teach myself melodeon nearly 18 months ago, using Dave Mallinson's Absolute Beginners book. With just 4 pages left, I have been wondering how I will carry on moving forward after completing the book. In some ways, the book makes one lazy as all the fingering, cross rowing is planned out for you and all one has to do is learn to play it. But in other ways, when I have tried other tunes not in the book, I have found that a lot of the fingering, cross rowing has/is becoming automatic.

A couple of evenings ago, I sat and played around with a tune I learnt some months ago - concentrating on the basses mainly. Because of this half hour, I found I was able to play basses for the tune in ways not written in the music and which, to me, sounded much more creative. So, I feel I benefitted greatly. This, I guess is a very basic illustration of what Squeezy means by number 2 type practice.

Because of this thread, I feel a lot happier now about life after Dave Mallinson! Thank you everyone - oh, and Happy New Year!  :|glug

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »

After starting this thread, and taking George's carefully worded advice, I've spent the last few days happily poking my finger in various parts of the keyboard and have had great fun and realise I have a tune sorted!
It needs polishing and committing to memory but it is getting there.

I've also reflected on this thread and 'time' is a re-occurring theme.
People feeling pressured and want more time to play.
Time spent in unconstructed playing and exploring the box is not wasted but the exact opposite, a very positive thing to do.

.... And very relevant to my original question, you need time in a tune to add right hand emphasis.
As I've discovered, the tune I've learnt is a medium paced tune with areas that has the time and space within it to allow emphasis. I have used these rare moments to emphasise them with right hand chords or harmonies.
This takes time within that tune space to allow your fingers to take up those shapes, and I realise a fast tune where the melodeon resembles a machine gun spitting out notes is not a tune to try and a fist full of chords!
Time is everywhere!
Thanks for a great chat.
Q
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:16:37 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »

once various combinations of 'harmonising notes' aka chords!  have been discovered by pocking and prodding the door is open to an easy way of adding additional rhythm on the treble end ( with or without rhythm on the bass end). 

Instead of holding down 3 or maybe just 2 notes to form a chord   beat a  bit of rhythm on one or both of the additional or non tune notes .   This provides harmonic rhythm  and can be used more or less interchangeably with right hand chords to add a bit of variation 2nd or 3rd time through a tune.

Once the hang is got of playing right hand chords and or rhythm it may be worth trying the bass as simple ? lightly played tuned percussion

Another 'tier' of rhythm can also be had from time to time by gentle pulsing ( not shaking) of the bellows in time with the underlying rhythm of a tune eg Push push push for a waltz.  this can only be done on reasonably long stretches in same bellows direction

no rules - just part of the fun of learning by experimentation!

george

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »

Wow thanks George - even more things to think about!
That's good to know and even more food for thought.
It only goes to prove you can be quite complex in your playing even thought it's supposedly a 'simple' instrument.
I've just come in from having a quick twiddle and was playing an old favourite of mine and realising it lends itself to harmonising. Great fun having an explore!
 I did chance on beating a rhythm with the other fingers..... This is getting exciting  (:)
I must remember not to get too carried away though and not overdo it!
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »

http://youtu.be/Am78ivB4KxQ (et seq) is excellent on this, though in French ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2014, 09:31:52 AM »

Thanks Chris, taking a look as I type.
I remember you once described a Gaillard as sounding like 'thick chocolate....' Good description, sounds wonderful!
now back to the video......
Q
Thrupenny Bit

george garside

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »

great stuff! is it a GCF or G C acc or? box

george

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »

vaguely remember that … but chocolate is a mere ingredient.  the crunchy textural rhythms Milleret puts out, and the fantastical frou-frou of some of Pignols improvisations are the product. (In my hands the instrument is frankly more like a Mars bar).

But these two are keen teachers (big part of their living) and their courses/classes are super. These videos offer some of the subtleties for free. The series(3) on Blues scale are particularly useful.

They play GC*accs, 18 bass; the C*-row having G# for G as part of "pignol/milleret" system, but that isn't critical in these videos.
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

Having a close up of the fingers shows a lovely variation in how to press a button - worth a good look!
Q
still watching..........
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal