Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon tuning tools  (Read 10804 times)

diatonix

Melodeon tuning tools
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:24:38 AM »

My daughters made a short video clip showing my melodeon tuning tools and how they are used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdap-lYsKbw

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Melodeon tuning tools
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »

Extremely clear video and commentary. Very good indeed! Thanks to you and your daughter for making this.
I look forward to the next videos in the series!  (:)

One question please - what are your German-style reed lifters made from? They look like spring steel.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »

Excellent, very clear, pressed the like button  ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:49:57 AM »

Very interesting and informative.

All praise to the Director/Camerawoman for the excellent voiceover, and for filming the piece so that every step is plain to see (for example, no hands blocking the view); which isn't always the case with "hand-craft" instructional films.

I too look forward to the next in series.

george garside

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »

very useful and informative  - Theo can this video be put permanently on the information section for easy future reference?

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

Lovely ... it took me years to work out how the 2 different tools for accessing the inside reeds actually worked properly through reading descriptions ... this video makes it perfectly clear in 6 minutes!!  Glad I was doing it right!

Encore, encore!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

waltzman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »

I bought a set of german reed lifters from Hohner USA.  They are pieces of thin brass tapered to a point and are used the same way as the lifters that you show on the video.  They do not have a curved tip for some reason which just means you have to tilt them a little more to insert them I guess.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »

Excellent video, many thanks.

Where do you find those files with the end bent over?
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

goon-heaven

• nul
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

Where do you find those files with the end bent over?
Scotland Yard?

diatonix

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »

@Steve: I make my tuning hooks from reed steel (cabinet scraper sized sheets cut into stripes).

@Waltzman: I have never used Hohner reed lifters. But I'm curioius: Are they stiff enough to be used as a base when using the scratcher (or file) or do you have to insert another type of tuning wedge? How far up do they work? How fast are they compared with the ones I use? (Mine work also very well if you, maybe in order to get rid of some debris, just want to ping the inner reed.)

@Rees: I think I've seen them on Ebay recently.

And many thanks for your comments, I'm glad you find this short clip interesting!

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »

Do the thin reed lifters (used through the same slot as the reed to be lifted) rely on having enough clearance between the end of the reed and the frame to fit the lifter in? Or is the assumption that the reed bends lengthways to give enough clearance without moving it at all in the frame or giving it a "set"? Every time I hear the little "ping" noise which I assume is the reed twanging past the lifter I shudder a little...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

diatonix

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »

Your second assumption is correct. No need to worry about the ping. On the contrary: I'd get nervous if I didn't hear it (which may mean that I have chosen the wrong reed lifter and managed to bend the reed!).

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »

Do the thin reed lifters (used through the same slot as the reed to be lifted) rely on having enough clearance between the end of the reed and the frame to fit the lifter in? Or is the assumption that the reed bends lengthways to give enough clearance without moving it at all in the frame or giving it a "set"? Every time I hear the little "ping" noise which I assume is the reed twanging past the lifter I shudder a little...

The reed does indeed bend, but that is what they do for a living. The ability to use this type of reed lifter is an art which I have yet to master on anything but the larger reeds.

diatonix

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »

@Rees: I've just realized that I may have misunderstood your question. If you are referring to the scratchers made from worn-out quality files, the end is bent over after heating it, then shaped and finally hardened again..

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »

@Waltzman: I have never used Hohner reed lifters. But I'm curioius: Are they stiff enough to be used as a base when using the scratcher (or file) or do you have to insert another type of tuning wedge? How far up do they work? How fast are they compared with the ones I use?

I use the Hohner tools.  I think they are phosphor bronze rather than brass, and with a spring temper. They work best with a slight bend at the tip. They are firm enough to support the reed while filing or scratching.  Being softer metal than reed steel they do tend to wear and for me the smaller ones are ready to be replaced after maybe a year of use. I find that they are as fast to use as your tools.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »

The reed does indeed bend, but that is what they do for a living. The ability to use this type of reed lifter is an art which I have yet to master on anything but the larger reeds.
Lester, I can assure you - you are not alone in finding the reed lifter difficult and scary to use!

I have a couple of the brass/phosphor-bronze Hohner types but despite practising a lot on scrap reed plates, I cannot consistently achieve a clean lift. Usually the lifter tip either bends too far without lifting the reed tongue and/or the reed pings back into its slot before I can manoeuvre the lifter underneath the tongue. Perhaps my lifters are too soft or too flexible or both - hence my question to Diatonix about the material his were made of.

I've watched people use the reed lifters so efficiently and effortlessly, yet I struggle when I try to copy them. I must be doing something wrong but what?  :(    It's so frustrating - I'm almost tempted to write to the 'Dear Marje' thread.

In the meantime I stick to my Italian-style hook lifters, which I can use.  :|bl
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

waltzman

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »

I suspect they are intentionally made of softer metal to reduce the chance of injuring the tip of the reed but as Theo said they work fine to support the reed when filing.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »

It took me ages to get the hang of using the Hohner reed lifters because I was trying to do something too complicated when it is really straightforward. Instead of trying to 'flip' the reed by levering with the lifter simply push the lifter past the tip of the reed and then pull straight back. Only when you hear/feel the reed tip ping should you lever gently to bring the reed tip right through the plate. Push straight through, pull straight back it's as simple as that.

I use two different sizes of lifter, one very fine for the tiny reeds and a slightly larger one for the rest. The big beefy reeds in the bass end are the ones I struggle with most!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

diatonix

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »

@tallship: unfortunately the video doesn't show my left hand (I should try and correct this!), but you are making a very good point:  Thumb and index finger pull the lifter straight back (no levering) while the middle finger bends the lifter slightly down. As shown in the clip, the scratcher may assist in lifting the reed.
It's not so much the hook-part that makes a good lifter but rather the elasticity of the 4 to 6 cm behind it. I always put a lot of care in making these lifters, they are constantly tested, filed and sanded (even have their hooks buffed) until I'm satisfied that they lift the reed almost by themselves. Another thing is that while a lifter may do its job very effortlessly with Hohner reeds it may not work well at all with certain Italian reeds and vice versa. That's why I always have a collection of different "raushebers".
(Another detail I should have explained earlier: the bent part (hook) has an almost invisible second hook or indentation filed into it which catches the tip of the reed.)

blafleur

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »

I tried the lifters for a while, and they worked well for me until I bent one of the smaller H reeds of a Binci D set.  I've been intimidated ever since. I see you have a large assortment of them, I had only 3 different sizes.  I like the idea of the filed notch,  hadn't thought of that.

I hadn't seen scrapers before.  Going to have to try the bent  tip scraper thing, if I can get my busy metal working neighbor to help me.  I don't know anything about heat treating. 

Thanks for the video, and all your generosity of information over the years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal