Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ergonomic posture  (Read 4693 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: Ergonomic posture
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »

I don't have ergonomic posture problems but something just as bad. I can't even get through Constant Billy without being totally out of breath. Having had tests, it's not heart or lungs. The tests continue.

Shouldn't this be under the Dear Marge  thread.?
PS Playing "Getting up Stairs" is even worse  :'(
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »

I've posted some of this on another thread in the past, but it bears repeating and there is now a bit more to it.

Throughout nearly two decades of playing, I have always had trouble keeping the keyboard still (Steve-freereeder criticised me for it, quite correctly, at Witney a couple of years ago). It didn't matter whether I stood up, sat down, used two straps (with or without a connector across the back) or just one strap: the damn thing still waggled about like a demented jellyfish. I also had to have frequent visits to a chiropractor due to problems with my back.

Then I had a pacemaker fitted that precluded having a strap resting on my left shoulder, so I took the advice of a friend and lifted the strap over the top of my head so that it sat on my right shoulder (this requires a longer left strap). Two unexpected bonuses of this were that this immediately cured my 'demented jellyfish' syndrome, giving me a firm and stable playing position, and that my back problems were cured almost instantly - although, buying a memory-foam bed probably also contributed to curing the back pain.

Now I just need to find a more stable way of playing my one-row boxes, which only have one strap...  :(
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

911377brian

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »

Bob, I only 'play' one row, and I've started to put the strap over my head onto my left shoulder. I THINK its more stable, but I tend to be forever changing my mind on the strap position debate.... :||: :-\

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, Brian. I should have thought of it myself because it is a logical corollary of how I play my other boxes that have two straps, but I didn't!  ::)

I've just spent a couple of hours trying it out whilst playing both English and Cajun tunes, but I don't think it is going to suit me because it alters the position of the box so that it is not only closer to my body (not, in itself, a bad thing) but also tends to twist the box into an uncomfortable playing position. I tried varying the length of the strap, but I couldn't find a position that I found comfortable. Maybe it is just a case of more experimentation until I find a position that suits me.

Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »

I don't have ergonomic posture problems but something just as bad. I can't even get through Constant Billy without being totally out of breath. Having had tests, it's not heart or lungs. The tests continue.

Shouldn't this be under the Dear Marge  thread.?
PS Playing "Getting up Stairs" is even worse  :'(

Does Billy mind? Plus playing whilst navigating stairs is very risky, you might catch your bellows on the banister.

I suspect you have confused the Charles Atlas Bullworker with a melodeon. Try playing using as little air as possible - fix the top strap to keep your bellows movements tight.  Let me know if that helps!
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »

Bugger off !  ;)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 05:06:36 PM »

Shouldn't have said that.  >:E

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »

(:)

No a fence taken   (:) btw comment about amount of air was serious.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »

"And he lay in an ergonomic posture, wi' t' shade of his face on the bars.
Young Albert 'ad 'eard about Lions ..."  >:E
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal