Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trad. Welsh tune  (Read 3678 times)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
Trad. Welsh tune
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »

Just love the haunting tune 'Gentlewoman' from John Spiers on Vagabond. Just wondered if anyone had any info about it.
Think it's going to be a Bu**er to learn but will give it a go.

cheers.

Sandy
 :)

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
Re: Trad. Welsh tune
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:56:15 PM »

Otherwise known as Rosline Castle . Tim Van Eyken has a version on New Boots CD..
Can be found in session.org , though you may have to adapt .

Good tune , with acidentals
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »

Is it Welsh ? I didn't know that.( where is Rosline Castle ?)........ Lots more very lovely Welsh tunes seem to be getting played these days.
Robin

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »

Just listened to a sound-clip of the tune on Vagabond (on Amazon). Yes - it's definitely the tune I know of as Roslin Castle (aka Rosslyn, and similar variants). As far as I know this is a Scottish tune, not Welsh, although it certainly has a Welsh flavour (must be the minor key).
Roslin Castle is just a few miles south of Edinburgh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslin_Castle
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »

Is it Welsh ? I didn't know that.( where is Rosline Castle ?)........ Lots more very lovely Welsh tunes seem to be getting played these days.
Robin

Rosline Castle is in Scotland and , I believe , was featured in The Da Vinci Codes .
Perhaps the tune has hidden significance.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »

Robin

Rosline Castle is in Scotland and , I believe , was featured in The Da Vinci Codes .
Perhaps the tune has hidden significance.
We've been here before folks. Some info here.

It was Rosslyn Chapel that featured in The Da Vinci Code.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:09:12 AM by Bill Young »

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »

The session version is in f not a dg friendly key
here's a link to this tune in g
http://www.ceilidhsoc.org/musictune.html?Tune=665&_sn=&_skw=castle&_sg=&_sr=&_sc=&_sk=&_sm=&_ssi=1
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »

There's a PDF of Rosslyn Castle in G with chords attached to this post.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »

Hi there - while it is quite obviously a variant of Roslyn Castle that I'm playing on the Vagabond track you refer to.  This version was taught to me by Paul Sartin & Benji Kirkpatrick from a welsh manuscript entitled The Gentlewoman or "Y Fenyw Fwyn" - I really like the little mode change from the original which is characteristic of Welsh traditional music and I also love the fact that such a simple change immediately colours the tune differently from the beautiful (but very classical) original.

Roslyn Castle is one of those tunes which was very obviously popular over a large area due to it's inclusion in so many manuscripts throughout England as well as Scotland in the 1700s - it is unsuprising that it found it's way to further countries and became naturalised there.  That's what makes it a folk tune rather than a straight composition!

I'm afraid I'd have to probe Paul & Benji if you need more information about the manuscript they learnt it from.  Apparently they're both washing their hair this week   ;)

Cheers

Squeezy
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »

Otherwise known as Rosline Castle . Tim Van Eyken has a version on New Boots CD.

Tim used his version of Rosline Castle in a Melodeons at Witney workshop a few years ago. His version comes from the Thomas Hardy manuscripts.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal